Bear Bating

We start with bounty beavers, 50 pound blocks of licorice and Skittles. Eventually they will quit eating the beavers and move onto the sweets. We keep everything in a barrel to slow them down. A bear cant pull a block of licorice through a 6" hole, and has to scratch away at it. They or may not love it, but they never run out.

Fryer oil and oats are good, esp first thing in the spring. I've found that you can spent more time and money begging for garbage and trying to get bait for nothing than its worth.

Sardines work good, pour them over corn, dog food and black sunflower seeds. I also had a friend who worked at little Debbie snack cake factory. You have no idea how long it takes too unwrap a couple tons of reject snake cakes. I still can't eat a banana cream pies. We also had several bbq joints saving scraps and trimmings for us. Search bearhunterark on youtube for some of my videos

Have read through this thread and noticed some folks might not know were to source the good stuff. This place has a lot of choices after the first of the year. I used to to go get old fruit pies, donuts, etc. and spend hours unwrapping and gathering 5 gallon pails of grease and paying for a freezer to store it all in then I came across this place and it changed everything. If ya can't afford to buy in bulk find a friend or hang up a notice at the sporting goods store to split the costs.
http://lucky7bearbait.com/bulk-inventory.html

After I get my laptop fixed (were recipe is stored)I will post a sucker recipe which is a good thing to have at a bait site. It will keep them coming in if you get behind on restocking the main barrel. As already stated check your state laws, but burying a dead skunk at the site(under chained down barrel)will really keep em working the site and reduces human odors left.
Anise oil is also a very good attractant and if you know any beekeepers get some burnt honey/scrap combs

If you want get close, as you generally are over bait, and the bears will not pay attention to you as long as you pay attention to scent control and wind you might check out HECS Camo to block your electrical signal that your body puts off. I was skeptical at first myself but no longer. Check them out yourself.

Last edited:
We had a eddies bread store.Would get the summers worth of old sweets,ding dong,ho ho,snowballs,everything like that.Unwrap all and compact in garbage disposal.So you can pack on frame later,about 45#.Put in barrel with hole cut at bottom,lag to tree,keep them from overdoing it.Would run a stink barrel full of years worth of gross stuff,put in spray bottle and spray on way in,liguid smoke in bottle work too.Was great

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.