Bear Bating

What range do you all typically set up your bait on? Sounds like many different baits across the country. Interesting. I'd love to go bear hunting here in Oregon but haven't yet.
All depends.You hunting with bow.handgun, black powder or high powered rifle.Anywhere from twenty to 80 yards.If we know you are a good shot we will put you farther

I've competed in precision rifle comps out to 1200 yards but that's not where I'd be looking to hunt and I don't want to pack that gun to do it.

This thread has sparked my interest to go find the bear regs here in Oregon.

An old bear hunter told me his old trick was to put a menu out there.....that meaning anything you use must have a scent or a sticky substance that when the bear travels away it leaves a scent line for others to follow back to the "bait"....
I think he used molasses around his bait to get caught in the hairs of the legs and feet....and he said occassionally he would watch bears roll in the molasses....better than a drag rag....

An old bear hunter told me his old trick was to put a menu out there.....that meaning anything you use must have a scent or a sticky substance that when the bear travels away it leaves a scent line for others to follow back to the "bait"....
I think he used molasses around his bait to get caught in the hairs of the legs and feet....and he said occassionally he would watch bears roll in the molasses....better than a drag rag....
We have done that to .We have used anything that will stick to their feet

Thats what i use the grease for. Put it around the bait and on all the surrounding downed logs.
Im usually about 12-15yds for bow. Gonna try and take one with the longbow this year.

'Ol Roy dog food, movie theater popcorn, syrup, frier grease, bread, and old grocery store meat if you can come by it.

There is a lot of things that can be used ,but do not change after you get some coming in.The big ones hate change

I think I have to agree with this. My strategy is to kind of throw a buffet at them. Popcorn, syrup and dog food are the base. Expired store meat and frier grease when I can get it are like the cream in the cake layers for them.

I've hunted bears over bait for many years. It seems that there are many successful ways to bait them and the choice of bait probably varies based on availability and cost.

More often then not, I use an outfitter that only uses meat scraps/fat. He baits all year around. Meat is put in shallow holes and covered with dirt to keep the flys away in the summer. Pails of grease are used in the winter. But come hunting season, only meat scraps are used. The are put in a half barrel with a metal grate on top and a heavy rock is placed on the grate. This prevents everything but the bears from taking the meat.

Sweets are great if you like watching squirrels and other small mammals diving in and out of the buckets all day.

I know a few guys that bait and most of them mainly use popcorn. Some other foods are oats (from the damage one did in my oat field a few years ago I know they like them!), beaver carcasses from trappers, bread, I've heard of jello powder and the fryer grease too. We're having some areas shut down to baiting because the grizzlies are gaining in numbers and hitting the baits too

Need to read up on your state, it realy varies. In UP pretty much anything except choclate. Which was banned few years ago.

I do honey burn and bacon. Little propane burner. Best to watch the wind if possible. I also take fryer grease and put on rag behind side by side and ride to spot, squirting here and there. I had bears in the area last time, so I really can't say what did it.

Used fryer grease also gets on feet of bears who then lure other bears in.

Again states really vary on laws. Some are silly and petty.

I know a few guys that bait and most of them mainly use popcorn.
I did 100# of popcorn last time. It required two nights a week drinking in driveway with turkey fryer. Slower than you think. Not sure if I will or not this year. I may cause cheaper. I got feed from Fleet Farm, $13-17 for 50#. It has protein, so deer may not eat it, if meat. Popcorn was made with bar fryer grease, with meat. I don't know if deer will eat. I hear they will only eat bait with meat base if starving.

All of which I doctor up with sweets.

I bring this up, cause you play the game of how much to buy and make.

Not an expert but just got back from a Canada bow bear hunt a couple months ago. They used a variety of baits at each site, never just one thing. Popcorn, honey jars tied to a tree, barrel with honey'd oats, barrel with old scraps/grease/misc stuff, and then a frozen beaver carcass was put in a cage at each hunt(guessing any fresh meat would be the same).

Will 100% agree that having a mix was good, some bears would only come after the oats, others only after the meat even though all of it was sitting right there in front of them. Was pretty obvious they each had their own tastes or food they were in the mood for.

Just make sure to place it all next to a tree or build a little wall/fence out of posts/limbs etc so the bears come around it to get to the baits and give you a guaranteed broad side view.

I noticed need to cut back on meats when they start slowing down. Needed shovel rotting meat out of the hole. It gets to a point where it is to rotted.

I wonder about meat bringing wolves in. I don't get as many wolves on deer bait. Wait until you know you have bears for sure before putting to much meat out IMO. It doesn't last as long in the warm weather.

I am starting my 2nd time baiting this week, so no expert. Just what I noticed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.