BDL vs DBM in a mountain rifle

I lost a mag last fall. I know that area well walked it several times before and after the snow and the gods stole the damm thing.

Short actions I prefer dbm, long actions bdl. Dbm is very handy when hunting in certain states such as Colorado when laws require gun to be in a case and unloaded when on an atv. If you need to make a quick shot pull gun out of case, install mag, and your ready to roll.

Thanks for all the great input, concise and constructive. I'm still leaning towards the BDL. But I guess I could see another possible advantage for DBM, in certain situations. It would allow you to change quickly between a small capacity mag with ammo specific to your hunt, to a larger capacity mag with defensive or dangerous game ammo, if that was needed.

i had the same question/issues as you and i went w/ a bdl. the reason was that i didnt need the extra capacity for ammunition, i have had issues with snagging/mags popping loose, and the BDL lets me have extra COAL over a magazine. the downsize is that the BDL can pop loose, but i havent had that happen.

the reason i didnt go ADL is that i dont like how its unloaded and didnt mind the extra couple OZ.

this all went into a manners EH1 stock w/ their BDL chassis and PTG bottom metal.

After many seasons with the BDLs and wood stocks when was young and that was all we had, I added a DBM and synthetic stainless. That was many years ago. I would never go back to the BDL or wood.

The Rem DBM system is flush and nearly impossible to have one come out by accident because it has two independent release tabs that you must squeeze to pull the mag. No accidental bump or brush is going to pull it out, nor will recoil. In the long action, they have a good capacity, four rounds in .30-06 sized cartridges for example.

Pulling the mag out for legal reasons on vehicles is only one reason to work with DBM. Carrying the extra ammo in the spare mags is another. How many minutes have been wasted when friends spill rounds on the tailgate in the dark and we have to find them on the ground, gate, or bumper at night?... A mag insertion with a gloved hand is easy even with cold hands. Loading or dumping a BDL when your fingers barely move isn't as quick or quiet.

In the end, it is good to have choices. ADL, BDL, or DBM, is a personal choice, not a law of physics. YMMV

The biggest issue I have now is waiting for Remington to start making the bottom metal again for a new build. They stopped when they got into trouble and have not said when this DBM design will be available again.

It's not one of your options, but it could be! I'm with wildcat455, blind mag. Mountain rifle = weight loss, it's a big deal. If not blind mag, BDL. Good luck, post pic of the build.

I have both but if packing prefer BDL. Also hunt in alot of area with larch and the needles get everywhere so during day I open it up and blow it out.Pull my bolt also.When I get home I compress air my free float you would be surprised all junk come out

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.