BDL vs DBM in a mountain rifle

Hookdown

I'm assembling the parts for my next rifle build for an elk hunt I hope to do Fall 2019. I have rifles with both BDL and DBM bottom metal. This will be probably be a 7RM, 7STW or 28 Nosler, if that matters. I'm leaning towards a BDL floor plate for the build for the following reasons:

No magazine to forget or lose.
I feel like 3 rounds is sufficient.
More streamlined. Less chance to hang up on pack, limbs, etc.
Won't limit cartridge OAL.
Lighter weight (?)

But I am very open to suggestions. I'd be interested in the thoughts/ advice of any experienced backpack/ mountain hunters as to what bottom metal they choose and why. Thanks in advance.

Gee, I was worried this would be one of those Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy debates with a bunch of responses. No one has any information, experience or opinions they'd like to share?

BDL all the way I hate the DBM on my hunting rifle for the exact reasons you stated. I would rather limit my capacity to 2 rounds in a mag with a center feed BDL rather than having DBM.

My first choice for a rugged, lightweight backpack type mountain rifle is a ADL type magazine. I have had BDL type magazines pop open with heavy recoil so as a consequence on a rifle that the only option is a BDL (or DBM for that matter) I end up duct taping before I leave for a hunt. Many gun smiths keep telling me that shouldn't happen with a modern hunting rifle ... I'm a fast learner (regretfully not fast enough) but once was enough for me. I no longer discuss with the smith, I just agree with what ever he may say and they TAPE the magazine shut before I hunt ... then NO WORRIES.

I can understand that being a frustration.
I use a heavy duty rubber band to secure my DBM. That sucker rattles (loud & drives me nuts) and if walking through brush have had the latch get snagged and pop the mag loose.

I used the PTG canoe extra long BDL for my 338RUM build. It allows for a longer COAL with the wyatt's magwell and I can easily get 3rds of 338RUM down. The BDL stays closed with no issues when running 300gr bullets at 2800fps, that's a pretty stout load. I also looked at a good DBM setup, but the additional cost is so much higher and comes at a weight penalty as well. I'd go BDL and not worry about any other option.

I also have both types of magazines and prefer the detachable mag for these reasons with qualification's.

The detachable magazines that I like fit flush with the bottom of the stock, (2 to 4 round depending on the cartridge used) this prevents hanging up on anything. I also like the ones with the mag release on the inside of the trigger guard so you don't accidentally release it.

One of the main features on the detachable that i realy like is the ability to tune the mag box to feed directly in to the chamber without touching the breach with the bullet anywhere unlike the standard staggered feed.

I started using this type of mag to solve the feeding problems and the retaining issues with more than two rounds in the mag with all of the short mags and having to modify the guide rails in actions not designed for the short mags.

Just my preference

J E CUSTOM

I traded an otherwise great hunting rifle with a dbm for an equally great rifle with a BDL bm much prefer the BDL. No experience with a flush mag, but that'd be my second choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts