BCA 243win

Dvldad

I purchased a 24”bear creek arsenal upper and one of their lowers. Both upper and lower are forged and the upper is the rear charge with forward assist. I replaced the stock with a MFT minimalist extreme duty the grip is now an ergo deluxe and the trigger I had one laying in my shop is a rise armament. Here are some groups from just plinking to put a few rounds down the barrel to break it in and then some load development. I’ve tried 108 eld m 100gr hornady interlock 58gr vmax 55gr nosler bt 80gr eld vt. All of these shot well under moa. Some in the .4”. The powders were h4831sc for the 108’s. Staball6.5 for the 80 eld vt and cfe223 for the 55 and 58’s. I knew going into buying this rifle I was shaking dice with some of the internet reviews that were out there. But this rifle shot well and has yet to have any type of malfunction.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2903.png
    IMG_2903.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2902.png
    IMG_2902.png
    271.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2900.png
    IMG_2900.png
    413.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 48
This will be my night time coyote hunting rifle. I’ve used a 223 for years with a 50gr vmax it was a pretty fur friendly load. But now fur is worthless and I started doing tournaments again last winter. Using the 223 from time to time you’ll get a runner and with no snow they were untraceable in cattails or tall crp. I lost three in the first tournament and four in the next hunt. I’m hoping going this route will make a much flatter shooting rifle that will anchor center mass hit coyotes and there will be no looking for cripples.

The bca (22") I have has a short throat (came that way) for some reason? I bought it for the use of Sierra's 90gr fmj's (now discontinued). Sierra data list load @ 2.650", but hits the lands @ 2.622". Factory Winchester 100gr power-points just barely engraves when in battery. I have a uni-throater and will lengthen as I have hopes for this. Glad yours is doing well!

The bca (22") I have has a short throat (came that way) for some reason? I bought it for the use of Sierra's 90gr fmj's (now discontinued). Sierra data list load @ 2.650", but hits the lands @ 2.622". Factory Winchester 100gr power-points just barely engraves when in battery. I have a uni-throater and will lengthen as I have hopes for this. Glad yours is doing well!
Mine is a Moriarty (sp?) upper, after I finally figured out that the gas port was too small it is a good shooter.
I have thought about getting one of those bca uppers to try.

I have never tried a BCA AR10, but I have had good luck with many of their AR15 lowers. My 24" Grendel barrel and bolt are phenomenal, and I bought the upper to save money and swap out the barrel. After I shot it, I didn't touch it.

Congratulations, it looks like a shooter.

Mine is a Moriarty (sp?) upper, after I finally figured out that the gas port was too small it is a good shooter.
I have thought about getting one of those bca uppers to try.
I purposely build rifles with smaller ports and all rifle and rifle plus 2 and prefer non adjustable gas blocks. To get the correct ejection I use light weight buffer weights and or light weight flat wound springs. Less pressure bleed off increases MV.

I'm a long time 243 person with a 9 1/8th twist 26 inch Rem Varmint with an 8X32 - 60mm. My favorite Varmint round is the 87 gr. VMax with over 47 gr of ramshot hunter. Reloader 4000-mr was also accurate and I never fully tested Superformance. they exceed 3400 fps

I'm big on winter calling coyote gun and it's my go to Antelope rifle with 100 gr BT's with a verified laser RF at 428 yards walking. That's my farthest away goat. I do hundreds of rounds bench rest shooting on paper out to 600 yards, but generally get them under 150 yard standing still

Last edited:
I purposely build rifles with smaller ports and all rifle and rifle plus 2 and prefer non adjustable gas blocks. To get the correct ejection I use light weight buffer weights and or light weight flat wound springs. Less pressure bleed off increases MV.

I'm a long time 243 person with a 9 1/8th twist 26 inch Rem Varmint with an 8X32 - 60mm. My favorite Varmint round is the 87 gr. VMax with over 47 gr of ramshot hunter. Reloader 4000-mr was also accurate and I never fully tested Superformance. they exceed 3400 fps

I'm big on winter calling coyote gun and it's my go to Antelope rifle with 100 gr BT's with a verified laser RF at 428 yards walking. That's my farthest away goat. I do hundreds of rounds bench rest shooting on paper out to 600 yards, but generally get them under 150 yard standing still
I don’t like using adjustable gas blocks either unless absolutely necessary.
This particular barrel had a very small gas port to the point that it would not even unlock the bolt to eject the spent round.
I don’t remember the size of the hole but it was very small.

I've shot a lot of critters with 243 win. I've never shot anything less than 72 gr HP's. The BC really gets poor below 80 grains. Chrono bragging rights are for NON hunters! LOL

It takes HP to really do it right. More grains have lots more Kenetic energy as distance increases because of the BC. My 80 spbt at over 3500 and 87 Vmax which both are very frangible and have similar results during my Prarrie Dog testing. I've shot 1500 rounds in a trip to South Dakota. Using good rests really cuts down on misses.

I've shot a lot of critters with 243 win. I've never shot anything less than 72 gr HP's. The BC really gets poor below 80 grains. Chrono bragging rights are for NON hunters! LOL

It takes HP to really do it right. More grains have lots more Kenetic energy as distance increases because of the BC. My 80 spbt at over 3500 and 87 Vmax which both are very frangible and have similar results during my Prarrie Dog testing. I've shot 1500 rounds in a trip to South Dakota. Using good rests really cuts down on misses.
If I were going to shoot for distance with a 6mm of some sort I would use the 108eld and a turret and range finder. That bullet is magical I’ve killed quite a few coyotes with it and a handful of whitetails. The purpose for this rifle is for flat shooting. The more velocity I can pull out of it the better. For what I’m doing bc won’t help me out at all. A long shot for what I’m doing would be 400yds. I’m trying to think outside the box on this.

inside 500 i don't care about bc's at all................flat and fast and most all light to medium weight 22cals have horrible bc's and yet i've killed many p-dogs died via 22mag and those are horrible numbers.

Recent Posts