Barrel torque and headspace

I think that there is a difference between the Aeroshell 33 and Aeroshell 33 MS....I did the research a long time ago....kinda foggy now.

The Molycote is good to a 1400* operating temp.
Both of the Aeroshell 33MS and Aeroshell 33 same operating temps of about 250F max, not too many seals on an Airbus or Boeing that would see a 1,400F temp. New Aeroshell Grease 64 (formerly 33MS) anti-corrosion and anti-wear.

Looking at many of my takeoff barrels I see traces of lubricant. I think applying torque to lubricated threads would then be subject to some evaluation of how much to apply. I had one take off barrel that showed hacksaw cuts in the barrel all around the receiver face. Possibly this was done to relieve contact pressure between barrel shoulder & receiver face that could be the result of 5,000 pounds or more force exerted on receiver face.

This gets into physics stuff like Hooks law that indicates that the force applied to the receiver ring, elastic deformation, would be proportional to the distance the barrel is jammed into the receiver ring by torque applied to barrel.

Last edited:
There is a direct relationship with torque applied, lubricant type and thread stretch, which is the sole reason for torquing a thread in the first place. 2-3 torquing levels are used on engine head bolts, this is to ensure that as the bolt/nut torquing sequence is done stretches the threads equally on ALL bolts/nuts.
This type of torque is not necessary on a barrel, there is no force trying to pull the 2 pieces apart, however there is minor twisting forces and all that is required is to have enough torque so the barrel can't unscrew…even though I often shoot with a hand tightened barrel with no ill effects.

Cheers.