barrel threading,chamber,and crown prices

Try Ted's Gunshop in Weatherford, Oklahoma. I've been to his shop and seen his work. No shortcuts, quality work every time.

Good luck, Tom

Gary Ocock in Surprise Arizona is another good one. He does work for a good friend of mine that has been winning or placing very high in bench rest competitions lately and Gary does all his work. I think he is fairly reasonable on his pricing and it will be done right. Good luck.

Another thing to keep in mind is they will often perform the work a bit cheaper if your getting them to supply the barrel parts etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is they will often perform the work a bit cheaper if your getting them to supply the barrel parts etc.

Probably not cheaper, but you'll pay no more for components than if you ordered them yourself. He may save you a buck or two because he will (should) know which is the best 'buy' and will be the easiest to work with, saving labor. Just show up or send a box of parts that you've chosen without consulting him, and expect to pay more as he'll be using parts that you supplied that may or may not be the best choice for your project. There's very little if no mark-up on many parts, these days. Prices are based on the volume one buys, and everyone has a different idea of what they want. Only a complete idiot would try to charge more than the current "going price" for components as it's listed on the web for all to see.

The cost of a good lathe, tooling, indicators, and high pressure flush system, is a factor. The cost of licensure, insurance, and a shop are another factor. The cost of having someone with the skills and experience is still another factor.

I know many home machinist who have both the equipment and skills but no license. As long as they don't keep your rifle over night they can do your gun smith work with out a license. A great example is Bob Pastor.

I know of other "Machinist/Gunsmiths" who can do great machine work but don't understand the fundamental operations of a bolt action. Their gunsmith work suffers badly.

I know other Gunsmiths who are very poor machinist.

I suggest you check your Gunsmith/Machinist work record, easily done by finding some of their customers and talking with them. Check and see if they are routinely doing gun smith work in the shooting discipline you are going to be shooting in.

Your better gunsmiths have a good working relationship with their customers, both parties need to listen to each other. A custom rifle to many is a lifetime investment. The customer needs to explain what he/she is going to use the rifle for and under what conditions. The gunsmith needs to guide the customer though the pitfalls of the build saving the customer money, and heartache. Most gunsmiths want to provide the build components so that he can have confidence in their performance. He can not guarantee someone else's components.

The better gun smiths are not lacking for work, their reputations an work speaks for itself.

Nat Lambeth

Be advised that anyone that works on guns for money is gunsmithing and that requires an 01 FFL license. Staying the night only pertains to whether or not the firearm has to be logged into his bound book or not.

I have my new krieger barrel on the way and im curiouse of what it costs ro have it threaded,chambered.crowned,and mounted. This is my first build and the gunsmith in my area quoted 500 dollars wich sounded a little expensive, but i could be wrong. Looking for a gunsmith any recomondations. Also need to know about the reamer i need to shoot 180 beeger vlds. My gun is a rem 700 long action that i want to do it in 7 mag. Any help is appreciaated.

Dave Young squared my action, chambered, crowned, and installed Lilja barrel on a Savage 110 action for $250.

Most gunsmith I know charges around $250 for blueprinting a R700 action. The $500 quote might possibly include action blueprinting and IIWY, I'd make sure and verify it before the work begins. Here is just a sampler list of LRH members/sponsors that do ...

Action Work

Montour County Rifles

General Price List

As far as gunsmith recommendation, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the sponsor gunsmith on this site.

Good luck!

I once paid 750 bucks for a chamber/ crown and timed brake install, but it's flawless and shoots lights out!!!
Best money spent

I had similar work done and result for $475. :)

Harleybug

Been watching for someone knowledgeable about the Bergers to address that part of your O.P.
I'm just a peckerwood that doesn't know much about VLD bullets (but likes the B.C's), and nothing about the Bergers except that they don't shoot well in some chambers.

I'd talk to someone at Berger and see if they will recommend chamber dimensions for that bullet.

I'll continue to watch this post to see if someone jumps in on the Bergers.

I'd like to know what you find out, and what you decide on.

Good hunting, Tom

Ill will try and address the bullet question. The berger vld's can be somewhat picky on seating depth. I got a bunch of records and wins with them jammed .003-015. The problem is for hunting if you are jamming them and there isn't a lot of tension the bullet can get stuck when you eject a loaded round, spilling powder everywhere. Not good to say the least. Some guys have had luck with them off the lands. Ever since Berger came out w the hybrids though Ive forgotten about the vlds. The hybrids are very forgiving on seating depth. They shoot great .020-.060+ off the lands. That's a pretty wide window. I managed to shoot 11 deer out to 300 yards with my 6.5x47 last year with the 140 hybrid and 75% dropped dead right there, shoulder shots. Farthest one went was 20 yards. The bullet left a silver dollar size hole. What more can I ask for in a bullet that shoots in the .1s and .2s consistently at 100 yds.

Second: the 500 bucks to fit the barrel isn't unacceptable if that includes blueprinting the action. 230 to blueprint, 230 to chamber and 40 bucks for a lug. That's the problem with a rem 700 though. Say you buy it for 550 bucks. Add 230 to blueprint, 100 bucks for a rail and have it bedded, total of 880. Stillers are 950 bucks. Resale on the custom action rifle is substantially higher than the Remington.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

That's the problem with a rem 700 though. Say you buy it for 550 bucks. Add 230 to blueprint, 100 bucks for a rail and have it bedded, total of 880. Stillers are 950 bucks. Resale on the custom action rifle is substantially higher than the Remington.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

It don't get no simpler than that!:):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

When confiring with any 'smith, one question I think I'd ask is, "are you using rented reamers", and, " are you using solid pilot or removable pilot reamers". Solid pilot reamers would be a big "no thanks" as would rental reamers. I'd not question the make of the lathe or dial indicators as in those cases its the skills of the man, not the machine. But the tooling used is of the utmost importance. I have a barrel in my shop now, chambered by a popular, well known gunsmith that was obviously chambered with a fixed pilot reamer. Unless you've viewed it yourself with a good bore scope you can't imagine how much damage can be done to the rifling, right ahead of the chamber, where the pilot has rubbed. Ask the right questions, agree on a time frame and price, and 'have at it'. $500 isn't too much, as long as his tooling is "up to snuff". Want a 'special' chamber? Expect to pay more......... Sometimes all that's needed is to extend the throat, requiring a seperate "throating reamer". That reamer should be equiped with removable pilots, too.

Ill will try and address the bullet question. The berger vld's can be somewhat picky on seating depth. I got a bunch of records and wins with them jammed .003-015. The problem is for hunting if you are jamming them and there isn't a lot of tension the bullet can get stuck when you eject a loaded round, spilling powder everywhere. Not good to say the least. Some guys have had luck with them off the lands. Ever since Berger came out w the hybrids though Ive forgotten about the vlds. The hybrids are very forgiving on seating depth. They shoot great .020-.060+ off the lands. That's a pretty wide window. I managed to shoot 11 deer out to 300 yards with my 6.5x47 last year with the 140 hybrid and 75% dropped dead right there, shoulder shots. Farthest one went was 20 yards. The bullet left a silver dollar size hole. What more can I ask for in a bullet that shoots in the .1s and .2s consistently at 100 yds.

Second: the 500 bucks to fit the barrel isn't unacceptable if that includes blueprinting the action. 230 to blueprint, 230 to chamber and 40 bucks for a lug. That's the problem with a rem 700 though. Say you buy it for 550 bucks. Add 230 to blueprint, 100 bucks for a rail and have it bedded, total of 880. Stillers are 950 bucks. Resale on the custom action rifle is substantially higher than the Remington.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

Not any smith's in the country better at chambering a barrel than this fella. If he says 240 and your guy charges 500, I would be shipping it to Iowa.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.