Barrel/caliber change on 69 30-06 Winchester model 70

If long range target, why not a heavy 1:9 twist in a 30-06. If the mag box will support loading long heavies with good BC. Won't burn your barrel as some of the 6.5s will.

6.5-156 Berger .347 G7 BC
.308-215 Berger .354 G7 BC

So with the 280 AI is the increase in volume because of the the shorter and sharper shoulder?
Yes! Here's an illustration with the -06.
.30-06 IMPROVED INSIDE VOLUME.JPG

If you are mainly shooting targets I'd build a straight 284 or one of the variants of it. There's a reason that cartridge is popular in F Class.

Remember barrel life! Nothing wrong with a 308 Win on a '06 action and 5000+ rounds of barrel life do not stink! My 6.5x47 Lapua with 3000 rounds on it still shoots amazing with the throat showing just a tiny bit of wear.

6.5-06 or 30gibbs I have both and love them I also built a 6.5rpm on a kimber that is bad to the bone but expensive brass wise. The 30gibbs is very impressive and highly underrated

6.5-06 or 30gibbs I have both and love them I also built a 6.5rpm on a kimber that is bad to the bone but expensive brass wise. The 30gibbs is very impressive and highly underrated
Yes, from WBY. I was able to acquire a box of 20 a few years ago. They were scarce/non-existent at the time, so I abandoned the idea. As I noted in #7, Peterson will be making them soon.

I too have a .30 Gibbs.

Yes, from WBY. I was able to acquire a box of 20 a few years ago. They were scarce/non-existent at the time, so I abandoned the idea. As I noted in #7, Peterson will be making them soon.

I too have a .30 Gibbs.
Ur saying Peterson is going to make RPM brass?