Barrel/caliber change on 69 30-06 Winchester model 70

slick Nick

So I've come into an old but very clean model 70 and am considering a rebuild, any suggestions. I do more long range target than hunting so just some thoughts please.

I have been a fan of 7 mm but also as I'm just kicking it around I am way open to suggestions. I do reload A LOT however I would prefer to stay with a brass that's readily available.
I planned on keeping the bolt head yes.

I have been a fan of 7 mm but also as I'm just kicking it around I am way open to suggestions. I do reload A LOT however I would prefer to stay with a brass that's readily available.
I planned on keeping the bolt head yes.
For .28 caliber, my recommendation is .280 AI 26" or longer barrel with the right twist for the bullet you are going to use. If you venture to a wildcat, I would take advantage of the 6.5 RPM case capacity or as-is. Peterson will be the brass soon.

.25 caliber: .25-06AI
.26 caliber: 6.5 RPM
.27 caliber: 270 AI
.28 caliber: .280 AI
.30 caliber: 30 GIbbs

Last edited:
For that action and bolt face. FOR ME, it would be either a 6.5 or 25 x 284 and use the 153 Berger or 131 Sierrra with a twist fast enough to run them.
I've got a 6.5 Sweed Improoved (6.5 Addiction) as well as a 6x284 and after having used both...when the time comes, I'll be rebarreling to a 25x284 about 20" long