Barnes 6.5 LRX

CBrowning

Good day,

My wife recently allotted a new rifle purchase and I decided to go with a 6.5 creedmoor. I'm just starting out with my reloading process and having trouble finding real world data using barnes LRX with this cartridge. Barnes data seems very limited. Any data would be appreciated.

I tried the search, might have missed something?

Take care.

Good day,

My wife recently allotted a new rifle purchase and I decided to go with a 6.5 creedmoor. I'm just starting out with my reloading process and having trouble finding real world data using barnes LRX with this cartridge. Barnes data seems very limited. Any data would be appreciated.

I tried the search, might have missed something?

Take care.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2016/03/6.5CreedmoorV11ForWeb.pdf

Pay attention to the OAL. This bullet needs to jump a minimum of .040" as this bullet does obdurate.

The 127 LRX would not stabilize in a 1 in 9 260 rem. I think most of the 6.5 CM I have seen are 1 in 8.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

My suggestion with a 6.5 Creedmoor is to use the 120 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock with 39.0 grains of Varget. As good as it gets in a 6.5 Creedmoor.
The 6.5 LRX is better suited for a faster shooting 6.5.
Nat Lambeth

My suggestion with a 6.5 Creedmoor is to use the 120 grain Barnes Tipped Triple Shock with 39.0 grains of Varget. As good as it gets in a 6.5 Creedmoor.
The 6.5 LRX is better suited for a faster shooting 6.5.
Nat Lambeth

Thanks, what makes the 120 a better choice over the 127?

The 127g LRX works great in my .260 rem (1:8.2 twist, ~.045 jump), shooting around 2800fps. While that's not a Creedmore, it's close enough that I would expect it would work there as well.

I don't understand why the 120 TTSX would be better than the 127 LRX in this class of rifle. The 127LRX is supposed to open down to 1200fps, while the 120TTSX is more like 1800-2000fps. And the LRX has better ballistics.

The 127g LRX works great in my .260 rem (1:8.2 twist, ~.045 jump), shooting around 2800fps. While that's not a Creedmore, it's close enough that I would expect it would work there as well.

I don't understand why the 120 TTSX would be better than the 127 LRX in this class of rifle. The 127LRX is supposed to open down to 1200fps, while the 120TTSX is more like 1800-2000fps. And the LRX has better ballistics.

1800 fps

Yes, TTSX is supposed to be 1800fps, TSX is supposed to be 2000fps. I've seen numbers from 1200-1600 for LRX; not sure if that is caliber-dependent. It looks like the Barnes site now says 1600fps for the LRX; I could be wrong (just ask my wife), but I thought they said 1200fps when the LRX first came out. In any case, it has a lower opening speed than either the TSX or TTSX.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.