Barbour Creek student take antelope @ 1507 yards

Well it's 108 in Tucson and in the mid 80's up in Elk country and we have 8-10 more days of this heat wave. 86 up in unit 10 and 9 today.
It's been crazy hot 🔥. I'm headed up tomorrow to park the trailer in 6a for my turkey hunt. Probably should have just left it up there when I was up to help on the archery elk hunt.

I love seeing this kind of shooting. What I don't enjoy is reading some of the negative Nellies that put down members on this site for doing what this site is set up for. Long Range hunting !!! If people don't like reading the stories, move on. Don't criticize and cast doubt of the shots. Find another forum that welcomes haters and projectionists. Furthermore, I have a 500/600 yard range. I've shot 1000 yard matches and have taken one mile plus shots on targets with good success. Not new to LR shooting but I definitely would love to take a course or two at Barbour Creek. Mostly for wind calls but just for an experience I haven't yet had.

Last edited:
I'm getting sick of people piping up about this shot being unethical or disrespectful of the game. That's not what this forum is all about. Y'all need to find a liberal forum where you'll find a lot of people that agree with you.

As to the velocity the bullet probably was moving at, I consider it to be completely acceptable to cleanly take the antelope because it's basically bordering on the subsonic line depending on the altitude the shot was taken at so a clean kill is very likely. I rarely hear about people complaining about subsonic suppressed shots and taking of game at close range.

I applaud the hunter that took this shot and only wish I had that kind of skill.

It appears the the 6.5 Creedmoor was fully adequate at that range for a shot at an antelope.
I'm betting that if he had wounded the animal everyone would be saying it was unethical, but we would never hear about it. I understand and use todays advanced technology and shoot at longer ranges today than 40 or 50 years ago. I practice at longer ranges to be more confident when taking a shot. I don't shoot animals at that distance for bragging rights, but to each there own.

I was out yesterday and shot at 784 and 1183 yards. Wind call at 784 was 2.5 and I hit just above my circle. Wind at 1183 was fast and flat, and I estimated it at 12, but when I put it in my SIG, it said to hold 5.5 (or something like that). It didn't look like a 5.5 wind, so I held 4.5. I hit about 3.5 to 4 inches left as you can see. So what? I can't do it 90% of the time, and neither can anyone else. Apparently that doesn't matter to a lot of you. I can count with one finger the number of videos on LRH that have shown hitting an animal that wasn't recovered; perhaps I am wrong.

I recorded the wind speed yesterday in the desert; pretty typical afternoon wind. To make a shot as long as the OP, you must nail the speed within 1/4 mph. The TOF for this shot approached 3 seconds. The wind is changing more than 1/4 mph almost every second.

Attachments

• IMG_4660.jpg
    IMG_4660.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 3