Barbour Creek student take antelope @ 1507 yards

Why would anyone want chance a wounding an animal at that distance is beyond logic. Shoot Steel targets and bragg
Why would anyone come to long range hunting forum and criticize a long range shot at a speed goat? 780, 1280, 1570… it's just number in an equation and as long as it equals a stable projectile with the other variables and has the energy to do the job…. Send it. Anything beyond 400 a shooter should be using the same equation to calculate a solution for the shot. Maybe it's built into the LRF optic or phone app doesn't matter. Would I take this shot on that goat in this situation? Idk I wasn't there so I won't second guess the op. He pulled it off and has some tasty antelope for the freezer and it was cool buck!

I have to say I'm surprised to see all the people talking trash on a long range shot on THIS forum. Would I take this shot? Absolutely not! Because I don't have the confidence. I think there are plenty of ethical conversations to be had, but this one doesn't seem appropriate here due to the very obvious nature of this site's content and community.

I'm equally surprised to hear people fire back about going to a site with different political leanings. Not every single thing in life has to do with politics.....I can't recall the last time I was thinking of who I vote for while I was out hunting, long or short range!

1507 yards in MT
After training level 1 and level 2 at Barbour Creek with James
Eagle Ballistics app was used for mirage wind and ballisticsView attachment 603067

I'm not buying it,not with that round,having been a swat team sniper it smells like a little bs,am still a sniper but only on deer now,we shoot 200 plus a year on our citywide deer control permits.Penetration would be negligible, as well as ft pound delivered on target. Nice antelope nevertheless.

lol, here we go. Calling BS on James at BC. Ooof, good luck with that one!
I'm not buying it,not with that round,having been a swat team sniper it smells like a little bs,am still a sniper but only on deer now,we shoot 200 plus a year on our citywide deer control permits.Penetration would be negligible, as well as ft pound delivered on target. Nice antelope nevertheless.
So you're then saying a 123 grain 9mm at point blank range is not going to kill something? Here's a 124 Gr 9mm stat at point blank.

Point blank 9mm pistol:
  • Caliber: 9mm Luger
  • Bullet Type: Full Metal Jacket (FMJ)
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1,181 feet per second
  • Muzzle Energy: 382 foot-pounds
Here's the estimated info on a 143 ELDM and a 140 VLD Berger.

1500 yards:
1223 FPS MV
465 FP of Energy

Just saying.

Man, some of the worst shooters I've met were ex military, police, and "swat" guys. That credential doesn't give you a bit of credit here. I appreciate what you do as a job, but it doesn't give you any special qualifications to speak on the topic.

For sure. That's how I did it too when I was 15. I used my dad's 16 gauge Ithaca smoothbore to take a whitetail at what I later measured at 266 yards on the first shot. Put that orange bead about 8!feet over his back. Another time with the same gun, I was turkey hunting with #5 shot, and it was deer season at the same time and a small buck came along and I shot it at about 25 yards and it dropped in it's tracks.
As I got older I realized how young and dumb I was , but maybe I was wrong. Both times were 1 shot kills.
One shot, one kill, what's the problem. Congratulations on that hunt and looks like your training paid off.

Man, some of the worst shooters I've met were ex military, police, and "swat" guys. That credential doesn't give you a bit of credit here. I appreciate what you do as a job, but it doesn't give you any special qualifications to speak on the topic.
I do believe my qualifications give me credence to speak, interject,and lastly voice my opinion. Too bad they put bad shooters on the department you were familiar with, ours only takes the absolute best, this is metro swat where you go on call outs countywide, no place for mediocre folks just saying. Opinions are like brains, 👍 I'll await the naysayers to use their mob mentality to berate my opinion.THX

I do believe my qualifications give me credence to speak, interject,and lastly voice my opinion. Too bad they put bad shooters on the department you were familiar with, ours only takes the absolute best, this is metro swat where you go on call outs countywide, no place for mediocre folks just saying. Opinions are like brains, 👍 I'll await the naysayers to use their mob mentality to berate my opinion.THX
Everyone is fully entitled to their opinion, and to each their own. My only point was that often folks like to use their LEO/military experience as a way to invalidate everyone else's opinion, and in my experience those tend to be some of the least qualified to do so.

You called BS on a shooter, with qualifications, with video and a dead goat. That's different than having an opinion!!