Ballistics Programs (Web based & Downloadable)

I have to say my favorite is JBM. Very intricate but yet simple to use. I'm curious about trying some others.

New here;please excuse my computer incompetence.I have browsed here a lot,plus gleaned a lot of info from the fine articles here.

I found & downloaded the first program listed at the top of this thread,but was unable to find/download 'The Thing',getting a message that 'This link must be broken.'

Is there a newer link?

Thanx!

----Gnarly

I was wondering if anyone new if a palm vx11 would accept exbal or any other ballitic programs? I have one that was used to communicate with cummins diesels no longer use it for that its just sitting around

This is a free ballistic calculator for use with Windows Excel and any pocket PC / Windows CE that has Excel installed.
Provided you input the right data to start, this is one of the most accurate calculators i have used. Using this in a PDA has scored me 1 shot hits on Groundhogs out to 460 yards with light little 223 40gr Vmax with my flat top AR.

The original spread sheet was by Ballistics programs and downloads
Acknowledgment: Methods and formula used in this spreadsheet were developed by Prof. Arthur J Pejsa, Pejsa Rifle Ballistics: Art Pejsa's Rifle ballistics software and books
Along with data and help from some of the guys that hang out on http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums
I have added many new things, like slope true range, range cards formatted to print 3.5x5 index cards, quick input screen for PDA's and more.

Free Ballistic Calculator (FREE Ballistic calculator)

Hello 1st off I would like to thank the ppl involved in makeing the software and getting it out to us and for FREE Awsome thanks guys!!
I have dl and looked at a few of the programs and most look fairly similar.
I will start by saying I am shooting a Marlin XL7 in 30.06. Ok maybe not the best but was onsale and good enough for me to start with. I topped it with a NC star 6-24x50 mil dot scope. I am shooting federal ballistic tips @ 165gr.
Oh and 22 in barrel.
Ok now onto the question. I have pretty much no experience with excel spreadsheets .... I have noticed that the software needs to be changed as needed.

How much of this info do I need to change. Do I need to enter all of the known data ... traj , wind, weight, ce, includeing the yrd by yard data from the manufacture???? Ok next ??? The federal amma site states the info for a 24 in barrel. I have a 22 in. I have so far transfered all the data from federal into the calc but now I am wondering If i should not have done that???
I started with all the basic data caliber weight primer ect... Does the calc "know " the rest of the info or was I correct in re entering my data. And how much will the barrel length affect the numbers from the manufacturer??

I sure hope someone can make sense of what I am asking here. Many thanks to all Dave

The main things u need 2 enter is
scope hight
bullet weight
bullet bc data "this can be found on the makers page"
fps "if all u have is what's listed on the box use that but it won't be as accurate as useing a crono"
the weather data and your elavation
wind isn't needed unless your shooting on a windy day

depending on the accuracy of the data u put in will deturman the accuracy of the info in shown in the program

So in short it knows that my ft lbs of energy at 700 yards is 965lbs and wind drift will 29.5 at 600 and the velocity will be 2080 at 400 yrds????
If so guess I need to delete all ans start over because I entered all that data. When the program opened it had all .308 data entered.

The program comes preloaded with all data for all makes of ammo and brand names ???? Thanks Dave

So in short it knows that my ft lbs of energy at 700 yards is 965lbs and wind drift will 29.5 at 600 and the velocity will be 2080 at 400 yrds????
If so guess I need to delete all ans start over because I entered all that data. When the program opened it had all .308 data entered.

The program comes preloaded with all data for all makes of ammo and brand names ???? Thanks Dave

try this

Free Ballistic Calculator (FREE Ballistic calculator)

easyer not to mess it up

Thanks ill try this one also. For comunication sake and for learning also I tryied the jackson rifle and did my best to match all the data with the federal ballistics chart. I am noticeing variances in data... The federal chart says a velocity of 1919 fps the jackson says 1881.... I matcehed all the data I could beteween the 2 and come up with different numbers.
I am guessing there is one factor not being used barrel length.
I am aware there will be slight difference however one of thr programs can=me in with a 5 ft difference at 1000 yds lol.
Thank you for ttakeing the time if i send a pm with my number would it be possible to call me???
Much appreciated Dave

Has anyone used the Sierras Infinity Mobile software?

I saw it for the first time in the shotshow, and looks sweet, with the tri dimensional wind-drift calculations...

whats your opinion on it???

thanks
Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.