Bad news for SW colorado elk

Not exactly but you used to have to put down the whole tag fee to apply. If you didn't get drawn you got a refund minus the $3 application fee. These days you just pay the $3 application fee and you only pay for the tag if you actually get drawn. So now instead having to put $660 down to enter the elk draw you just pay $3.

Because of that Non resident sheep apps were up like 5000% this year if I remember right.
Thanks, I hadn't considered that impact from them changing that for out of state applicants

Both Montana and Wyoming require a full deposit up front for any draw tags. The main reason this is done is that they get to draw interest off of the tag money before it is returned at a magical date. Minus the draw fee of course.

Both Montana and Wyoming require a full deposit up front for any draw tags. The main reason this is done is that they get to draw interest off of the tag money before it is returned at a magical date. Minus the draw fee of course.
I think it also insures that the person applying actually has the means to purchase the tag if drawn. It would be bad if lots of folks draw a tag and then not purchase it due to lack of funds. In Oregon that tag does not go into a left over draw or anything. It is just gone!
In Oregon you have to purchase an outta state license just to participate in the draw. If you draw nothing (Very likely), they keep the fee for outta state license, which is not cheap.

Tough article but kinda glad more people are hunting.
I am glad more people are hunting also, I especially like the female gender getting into harvesting game animals.
I just wish the quality of people coming out to the 3 hunt areas my wife and I hunt were of a little higher quality. The sad part is that not everyone showing up from somewhere else is what any self respecting person would want showing up in any hunt area wherever that may be, wether here or.....or there.
We have a swap hunt section on this forum. If my wife or I find something we might want to swap for what we have to offer we're live in exchange for something someone else has to offer in theirs, we respond in the form of a private message to avoid all the counter offers from snoopy surfers.
Coveting what you have for a LOCAL natural resource but willing to share it with likeminded people is akin to beholding a daughter's purity and letting her go on a first date, only hoping there will be more dates; not wanting to be let down.
I hunted for the past two days with someone for the first time and can't wait to for the next time. That is a rarity. I got lucky.
I realize not everyone is undesirable for what I am trying to explain, but most are. It's just that way.
This is a tuff thread, and should be. This is a VERY REAL topic.

I hunted SW Colorado last year first season. It was my first year back in the area since moving away after the 2010 season.
I/we hunted where you needed a horse or were just plain stupid with a pack on your back. 1999-2010 we would see a few hunters here and there and we would fill tags.
Last year I had to rent a horse. I saw 3 elk while scouting the 3 days before the first season. I was hoping I was going to be able to get a nice one but after those scouts I just planned on taking the first legal thing I saw. Opening morning at around 7:30ish I shot a 3x3 (it had the eye guards) about 3.5 miles from the road/4 miles from camp. He was with his little brother. I heard only a couple other shots in that area all day and the next day. But there were tons and tons of road hunters and several people just wandering the trails 1/2-1 mile from the road. I saw more people in a couple hours last year then we would see in a whole season.
Then this year I knew things were going to be bad with the new draw/payment system. Then the took away the first season either sex tag for most all (right?) SW Colorado and split them to either bull or cow.
I woundered how many people didnt/couldnt pay when they drew their tags and the time came to pay. Then since they didnt/couldnt pay at that time how many just grabbed a bow and jumped in on some OTC tags and all over some of these archery hunters who have been hunting those areas for year and years. I knew it was going to be bad. Not to mention how much the point system is going to be way out of hand in the next couple years. I have been planning on returning 2020 (recovery from 7th back surgery being a success) but now I dont know. I might just keep shooting metal targets on my property and then buy a cow for something to shoot and fill my freezer with. (Moo Moo Cow HaHa!)
I hope things are better out there for you all next year!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.