Back from Florida

JMack

So I do a one evening/night hog hunt in northern Florida this past week. First time using thermal, I won't mention the outfitters name but you can pm me for it. Nice people, nice lodge. I learned a lot in one short evening.

1. It takes more than practice shot in daylight with a thermal to get acquainted with it. I probably should have insisted on more and during full darkness.

2. Learn the equipment and make sure you're guide knows it as well (had I known you can switch the reticle it would have been a big help)

3. Clean your weapon! Wow. I never saw it hat much dirt in a bolt action weapon before. Yikes.

Good experience. Didn't kill but good introduction to thermal. If I go back I'll likely have my own equipment. I wasn't overly impressed with the pulsar but I also didn't have anything to compare it too I guess.

The first time I hunted hogs with a high end thermal was down in Georgia. There were plenty of pigs and we unleashed an ungodly amount of firepowder. Dumping full mags of 6.5 Creedmoor was a blast but we didn't have all that many dead hogs to show for it. :rolleyes:

I can honestly say that I never laughed so much in my life. Missing a hundred hogs with a thousand rounds of ammo is just too funny. Like you said; it was a learning experience. I think the pigs got educated too. 🤣 🤣

We'll be headed to SC in a week to pick up the action. I own an entry level Pulsar Thermion now so we'll see how that goes. I'm leaving the AR home because we will be hunting in/near swamps where baited stands are the norm. I don't anticipate many rapid follow-up shots on this particular hunt.

Last edited:
Good observations!

I've got several thermals, and takes a while before on can fluidly operate them in the dark.

Not surprised that an outfitter doesn't clean. I come in contact with a few that were more interested in client turnover than running an efficient operation.
The more I read about thermals the more I realize it's not as easy as pick one up and go hunt.

Ya I'll wasn't surprised at all, "guide" was a nice enough kid but I didn't get the impression he was gung ho to kill, dress, and skin an animal.

I'll definitely have my own equipment if I go again. I'd love to mount a thermal to my gunwerks 6.5 prc and run my 6" suppressor on it.

The first time I hunted hogs with a high end thermal was down in Georgia. There were plenty of pigs and we unleashed an ungodly amount of firepowder. Dumping full mags of 6.5 Creedmoor was a blast but we didn't have all that many dead hogs to show for it. :rolleyes:

I can honestly say that I never laughed so much in my life. Missing a hundred hugs with a thousand rounds of ammo is just too funny. Like you said; it was a learning experience. I think the pigs got educated too. 🤣 🤣

We'll be headed to SC in a week to pick up the action. I own an entry level Pulsar Thermion now so we'll see how that goes. I'm leaving the AR home because we will be hunting in/near swamps where baited stands are the norm. I don't anticipate many rapid follow-up shots on this particular hunt.
Good luck report back is love to hear how you do.

for the occasional hog hunting adventure would a kill light be good enough? I have top notch glass on my rifles.

for the occasional hog hunting adventure would a kill light be good enough? I have top notch glass on my rifles.
I only go 1 or 2 times a year so I am no expert. A kill light works pretty good but I would not do it without at least a cheap thermal for scanning. I had hunted with just a kill light and had some success. When I got the hand held for scanning, I was amazed at how many I would not have known were there if I had not had the thermal. Also, You are limited in the distance you can shoot with a kill light. I have also found that if the hogs are feeding, they ignore the light. If they are moving from point A to point B, the light will scare them and you will never get a shot. Thats just my experience. I now have a hand held scanner and a thermal clip on, which is freaking awesome. You don't need a high end thermal unless you plan on shooting at hogs hundreds of yards away. I would not bother hunting if I had to go back to just a kill light.

I only go 1 or 2 times a year so I am no expert. A kill light works pretty good but I would not do it without at least a cheap thermal for scanning. I had hunted with just a kill light and had some success. When I got the hand held for scanning, I was amazed at how many I would not have known were there if I had not had the thermal. Also, You are limited in the distance you can shoot with a kill light. I have also found that if the hogs are feeding, they ignore the light. If they are moving from point A to point B, the light will scare them and you will never get a shot. Thats just my experience. I now have a hand held scanner and a thermal clip on, which is freaking awesome. You don't need a high end thermal unless you plan on shooting at hogs hundreds of yards away. I would not bother hunting if I had to go back to just a kill light.
Which thermal clip on do you have?

What kind of scope do you run it on? Wondering if I could put this on my nightforce atacr?
It depends on the size of the objective. The mount it comes with works for 40mm to 50mm. They have special mounts you can purchase separately for smaller and larger sizes but they are around $300. If you are putting it on an ar platform that has a rail out in front of the scope, it comes with a QR mount that you can use to mount to the rail in front of the scope.

I would hunter here in FL more if they allowed nighttime/thermal hunting in Wildlife Management Areas. They are great for day hunts though