At long range do you dial, BDC turret, graduated reticle, holdover, etc?

At long range do you dial, holdover, etc.

• Dial using handheld software

Votes: 293 31.1%
  • Dial using drop chart data

Votes: 288 30.5%
  • Use a graduated reticle

Votes: 111 11.8%
  • Use a BDC yardage turret

Votes: 119 12.6%
  • Holdover

Votes: 121 12.8%
  • Pass on the shot

Votes: 11 1.2%

• Total voters
For ranges beyond what your gun is zeroed for, do you

• Dial for the yardage using handheld software generated data aided by weather meter etc.
  • Dial for the yardage using drop chart data developed by field testing without electronics help
  • Use a graduated reticle
  • Use a custom Ballistic Drop Compensating turret
  • Holdover
  • Pass on the shot
This poll really needed a multiple answer option.

I use a drop chart, graduated reticles, holdover, or dial depending on the species, range, which scope I'm using and which rifle, caliber I'm shooting.

Pass on the shot? Rarely.:)

Use ballistic software and charts...depends..if im doing western hunting vs shooting at the range, elevation and temp changes a lot in a day depending what im doing...its hard to have charts for every environmental condition, new mv for every temp and elevation...its a long *** book of dope. its easier but still accurate enough to use a TRUED ballistic computer. I put a emphasis on trued because in my experience at longer ranges...say past 6 hundo using a 300 win with 200gr pills, if the software isnt trued your drop gets more and more off the further you get.

Use ballistic software and charts...depends..if im doing western hunting vs shooting at the range, elevation and temp changes a lot in a day depending what im doing...its hard to have charts for every environmental condition, new mv for every temp and elevation...its a long *** book of dope. its easier but still accurate enough to use a TRUED ballistic computer. I put a emphasis on trued because in my experience at longer ranges...say past 6 hundo using a 300 win with 200gr pills, if the software isnt trued your drop gets more and more off the further you get.
Like I've always said, life starts to get complicated beyond 600 and very complicated beyond a thousand.

You are exactly right on.

Multiple choices for me.
It completely depends on the situation.
And if I have spotter or not.
I like to have as many tools in my bag as possible for the multiple situations that arise when hunting. Including passing on shots!!!

Hold over 90% of the time... I always use the same bullet in my long range rifle and my other rifle for woods and 350 yds. (Redfield)... ^Milldot Nikon 4x to 16x on savage)for open range beyond 400.... if time allows... I'm a predator hunter....Know your rifle and memorize the ballistics....

I have been using Nikon's BDC reticle and their Spot On Ballistic Program for a long time now and I have yet to not have a 1 shot stop on game to 599 yards. Dialing in your cal., ammo and Nikon scope is very easy to do and after teaching my 82 year old Father In Law, very easy to use. You can dial in any Nikon scope using Spot On and for handloaders, it is very easy to enter your specific shooting data.

I personally prefer a
Mildot scope with mil/mil adjustment
But for hunting I love my burris eliminator