Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

image.jpg

I'm telling ya what... If this thing came after me, I'd be looking for a big tree. I thought it was photoshopped at first. That's a lot of nasty bacon right there.

I try to shoot these at long range. It doesn't matter what caliber it is, they die hard... If I am in the woods looking for these , I use a DPMS-LR 308.... My son hit one coming towards him one morning with a 270 140 gr.... Bullet hit in the left chest all the way through the hog and out a right rear ... It still ran a 100 yds .... I'm fixin to hunt for hog signs near creeks and brush this morning.... my backup is a RedHawk..44 mag, Rifle is a 308 with 180 SP..... Bigger is always better I say. When you hit them learn to bolt in another round as fast as you can and hit them again... lol I love this stuff.

Last edited:
Wish I lived closer to hog country... I'd be out all the time. D@mn!

I just got back and didn't see anything today, no signs of hogs on the ranch I cleaned it by trapping and shooting for the past year,... The last sounder I trapped was in May and June; haven't seen any since..More will come though.. I caught a bunch of little ones one night and they got hauled off the next morning..... The very next morning I checked the trap and area around it again. This time I found lion tracks....around the trap. I saw the cat a few days later after a doe, but with high grass couldn't get a good shot (500 yds)

gun)

Attachments

Last edited:
Many years ago shot a 130lb hog with a 210grain bullet out of my 44mag from 30 yards. Bullet penetrated the near side and shattered the shoulder joint on the opposite side on exit. The hog ran off on three legs. Like idiots, we and my buddy went to blood trail the hog. We learned the hard way that when blood trailing, one look for blood and the other person keep his head up looking for the hog. So with both of us walking with our heads down, this hog jumps up and charges us (on three legs!). I managed to get a reflexive shot off and nailed the hog to the ground. When I walked up to him, he was still kickin' on the ground. Had to pull out my knife and stick him!

Dangerous AND Tenacious!

trebark, those are the hunts you don't forget .... On our deer lease, usually we see hogs when its starting to get dark.... Most of the time we make a kill on the spot, but there are other times that we go in after a wounded hog in the dark. Usually two of us use lights, to track it, the other two are out riders and watching mostly for the hogs that were with it.... They always circle us in the dark squealing..... Like I say,,,, I love this stuff.

My first hog hunt was by myself on a friends property. Found one about 500 yrds from where i started. I was using a 16g shotgun with slugs,break open action. I put one through the 350lb boar left shoulder and through both lungs. I decided to let him lay for a bit so i walked back to find the best way to get him out. I had reloaded my shotgun with my last round and returnred. The hog was up on his hind legs and pushing himself at speed on his front chest. He was tearing full grown manzanita bushes by the roots with his tusk and powerful head out of the groung.He gave a loud snort ,turned and here he came. Looked around nowhere to run! I Knelt down,check saftey clicked of.Sight ,aquire, Fire. I saw the dust cloud pop on his forhead.I stood up took 3 steps to the right just as he rolled by me where i was just kneeling.Lessons learned... Carry more ammo.Next ,was shoot smaller pigs.135 lb or smaller. I have heard a hundred hog stories. If you truly hunt hogs you either have a story or you are about to have a story. After working a pig this size i found smaller is bettr. You dont need help. I usually do at least 3 a yr. They really like to come back around you when on mountain tops. Stay put or go the other way around find a safe spot and here they come. If you chase you will lose them. This is how they are where i live. Im sure its different in other terrain and areas. I now stand back and take 100-200 yrd shots with my 30.06. Did i tell you I LOVE BACON! Good luck and have a sidearm,gun)

luv long range, you are right, I never walk up to one without putting a round behind the ear...
I was just told the ranch I cleaned has another group of squealers that moved onto it.... I already know what area they;re in... hee hee hee .... Now I got to fix my ATV before I can go.... dang
On this type of hunt I carry my DPMS 308 3x9 BDC 180 gr across the handle bars..... I carry my Savage in the scabbard for the long shots , and that's got the Nikon Monarch 4X16 mil dot... The last time I went out by myself I jumped out a group of them, but turned over my ATV crossing a ditch to get into a better position to shoot from....... That left a mark.... Just started walking good from that.....

Shot one from a treestand on my brother's property near Waco last year with a 30-30 from about 25 yards, and she ran off with all her piglets. I got down and started tracking, realized where they were headed and moved to cut 'em off. As I was walking down the old overgrown trail I heard a soft grunt, looked in the deep brush about 10 feet away, there she was staring me down. I put two more into her with the 30-30, both behind the ears into the spine from her facing me and she still spun circles for 3-4 minutes before dying. Only about 150# but tough as a brick wall.

In SW Texas, we shoot from a big blind about 10' in the air, and the fun comes in after we've fired our burst into the herd and have to go down and see what we got, wounded or didn't hit. From the first shot, they are scattering and headed out at a what seems like lightspeed, so wounded hogs usually come while they are scattering and on second shots.
If you've ever had to track a wounded hog, (Usually my cousin's, and we'd love to quit inviting him, but he usually brings a truckload of steaks and beer and does most of the cooking, He just can't shoot for **** and cold cereal gets old fast) into the Texas brush, maybe you'll understand why I put on tight ¼" polished leather chaps, (couldn't find a suit of armor that fit) unpack the Springfield M1A with a 20 round detachable magazine over iron sights before I go into the brush, and my next oldest brother usually backs me up with a 12 Gauge auto with slugs or double ought buckshot. If I could get my hands on a machine gun I would gladly take it instead. Trust me, it's guaranteed to tighten your pucker strings to the point that you can't pass gas for a week. The visibility in usually not more than about 10-20 feet and they can be fast and some of them seem to try and ambush you.

Once took out two, wounded sow must have been in heat, boar wouldn't leave her and attacked. Kind of reminded me of my old bar hopping days! Very glad I had excess rounds that day without having to reload. If you haven't figured it out, I'm no purist. Overkill is good when your butt's on the line and a semi-auto with 20 rounds of 168 gr .308 is not always overkill. As a last resort, the M1A is also heavy enough that I can beat the hog to death if necessary.

Once got attacked by a 8-10 pound piglet. Following a very light, indistinct blood trail and trapped him up against a thicket. Little sucker charged back towards us and I saw he had only been clipped, so stepped aside and let him go by. My brother was facing backwards, covering my six, had no idea what was happening and the little guy went right through his legs brushing up against one pant leg. The shotgun launched a solid slug into the air, his eyes got about the size of a Turkey platter and I convulsed with laughter. I was laughing so hard I had to sit down and he got PO'd from me not being able to tell him what had happened. He never did see the Piglet. To this day, he swears he didn't crap his pants, but you could have heard the yell 3 counties over and I stayed upwind going back to the lodge, where he disappeared for about 15 minutes. If a momma hog had appeared when I was laughing, today I would be hog poop!

Anyway, yeah, they are dangerous and especially when wounded. Have pumped 3-308 slugs into a hogs head and it kept running for about 50 yards. Most go down with the first round, but we don't often have the advantage of shooting from 100 yards, usually much closer and the visibility sucks. BUT, wouldn't trade it for any other hunting, period!

Be careful out there.

Bruce

Machine gunner.gif.................................................Pig 2.gif.

Thanks Bob, glad you enjoyed the stories.

One of the advantages of being relatively old is that you have a lot of experiences and stories to fall back on. In my life, have hunted, and been hunted, on 3 continents during my wild and wooly days when much younger. Part of that was courtesy of Uncle Sam, but some of it wasn't. (4 Continents, if you include that girl's Patron (Sugar Daddy) in Chile, but no shooting was involved then)

Came back from SE Asia hooked on Adrenaline which caused whole bunches of trouble when I was in my mid to late 20's, and regular hunting just never quite filled the gap. I have a hypothesis that some of the things that happened that got us labeled "Crazy Vietnam Vets" were initiated by guys just looking to recapture that rush. Have gotten my Deer, Elk, Bear, Antelope, etc, but after the stalking, crawling, sweating, climbing, waiting, etc , it boils down to a high powered rifle, at various ranges, doing most of the work. Have tried Archery, but a bum right shoulder keeps the draw weight down to the point that I would probably have trouble damaging a rabbit at 5 feet. Am presently looking at a Hickory Creek Vertical crossbow adapter for my bow to see how that works.

Love long range shooting over Iron sights, but, for most casual shooters, technology is becoming the major player in most of the shots. (I'll probably get a whole bunch of nasty responses to that remark being posted on a LRH site)

Hunting Feral Hogs, sometimes on foot, in brush country seems to fill the void admirably but even then, the advantage, unless I do something seriously stupid, is with the me and my equipment. Most of the tracking we do for wounded hogs, and it's really not that often, end up at various distances with finding the Hog lying dead on the ground or in the brush, but the few that don't, comprise some of the most memorable, and sometimes funniest memories, like the piglet story above. Am I going to continue to wear hog proof chaps? Yup! It doesn't mean that I'm going to get rid of them just to give the hog a even chance when we are in his natural environment. The other thing about it is, that to us, hogs are a pest that are destroying crops and creating economic chaos with the land leases from the tenants. Hell, when hunting from short distances, which most of my shots are, I don't even give them the benefit of being shot by good ammo and use M-80, 149 Grain, Ball Military ammo from Lake City, which I buy in bulk (500 Rds). I only get the good stuff out if I have to go into the brush after them when wounded. (The M-80 is great for meat hunting small pigs, doesn't hardly damage the meat and usually goes right thru at short range ,< 75 yds)

BUT, not to drift too far, the main point is that both wounded and unwounded feral hogs can be and are dangerous. Just ask my brother's neighbor, James, who one night, walked out into his back yard, on the way to the tack room, without turning on the rear flood lights, and walked into a whole herd of them eating spilled feed. Most ran, one didn't, and 80 some stitches on both legs later he learned the hard way to always expect the unexpected at the least expected time. He kept telling me over and over, as we took him to the Hospital, in the back of a pickup, (No ambulance service out there back then) that he had almost sent Chelsea, his (9 or 10 year old) daughter out to get the broken rein for her horse. If he had fallen, it could have been a lot worse.

Anyway, as is my style, seemed to have written a book. Hope I haven't bored you. Hell, I could tell stories for hours and quite a few that weren't what you want to repeat in politically correct company, but maybe another time.

Packrat

ALWAYS keep your powder and Martini's dry!

Well, Pakrat6, I'm an old timer too , hadn't done as much or seen all that you have, but I totally enjoy reading stories like you've written.... I got a bunch myself, and I am a writer; doing a book right now on veterans (10 yrs so far)... Thank you sir, for your service to our country... Maybe someday we'll meet in the woods , South Texas prairie, or desert; do a hunt together and talk. Ya never know.... Love you stories.