AR10 (.308) opinions for inexpensive shooter

vmax97

I am looking to get another AR10 in .308 as a plain jane shooter. Nothing fancy, regular trigger, stock, etc. I have been looking a PMAs at the $1000 to $1200 mark.

Have you looked at the Ruger American?

I have one in .300BLK. I rebarreled it with a prefit barrel only because I wanted a 1:6 twist so I can shoot heavy bullets. For the price it has been a good rifle.
I did, I was at a Reed's shooting event and Ruger rep did not have any on hand, said they were making some changes to the chassis. Also, those lowers are not mil-spec.

I stay away from PSA. You can do this for about $1000

Or what I do is order all the pieces and get better triggers.

I need to slow down and not only read but comprehend what I'm reading. Somehow I got bolt gun out of your post when it's CLEARLY about an AR10. I wouldn't recommend Ruger's "AR-ish" rifles. My AR's are, generally speaking, all Aero Precision M5's and M4's with their uppers. I do what @budlight does and build my own with better triggers.

Or what I do is order all the pieces and get better triggers.

whats wrong with PSA ??

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen3-pa10-308-complete-moe-ept-lower-with-over-molded-grip.html

I have a newish dpms panther (I believe that's the model) and used it only for the parts. Took off the 308 and installed a 6.5creed barrel, so barrel has 0 rounds down the tube. Now its reassembled back to 308 and about 200 rounds were shot with complete lower and upper parts minus the 308 barrel. Gun is solid for $600. That leaves extra for the fun stuff. As far as psa goes I know several people that use their brand from parts to complete uppers to complete firearms. They've been accurate and dependable.

The newer small frame ar10(DPMS GII) rifles are really handy. I have a long ar10 and a 12.5" barreled .308 and even it is a pig(fire pig is it's nickname). If I were doing it over I would go small frame, I think Ruger makes a version of it but I am not up to date on who else as it's been about 5 years since I built my last.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.png
    IMG_1473.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 30
I am looking to get another AR10 in .308 as a plain jane shooter. Nothing fancy, regular trigger, stock, etc. I have been looking a PMAs at the $1000 to $1200 mark.
At that price point, you must be looking at the Sabre lineup. Those are their newer premium builds and there isn't as much data on them, though the reviews seem to be positive (most are getting MOA or better out of them). From what you are describing, I would probably just grab one of their assembled PSA-10 lowers for ~$200 <link>and a BLEM PSA Upper for ~$420 <link>, which would probably put you around $700 tyd after shipping and transfer fees. From there you would have extra money to upgrade the stock/buffer and outfit it with the optic of your choice (Heck, if you've got the tools, you can take the old barrel out and swap in a Faxon Match for about the same money). I've been happy with my results from PSA builds, provided you understand what you're getting; a reliable, but not hot rod/top tier build. I've also built out that top tier with the carbon fiber barrel and all the bells and whistles... For my money, it wasn't worth the extra coin. I would rather save the money and put in a TT and JP SCS and play with load development.

Maybe catching Aero on their deals/BLEM sales, you could do that for $1000. That lower is running $570 right now and the upper $830 (plus Aero "Complete" uppers are missing the BCG and CH). Transfer fees and shipping, plus the extras to finish the build and you're looking at about a $1800+ gun. Gas blocks on most of the uppers are also not adjustable, adding another cost if you are looking to run suppressed. I like the Aero stuff that I've built, but they are QUICKLY moving themselves out of the budget-friendly space.

I hear what you're saying about a "plain jane shooter. Nothing fancy, regular trigger, stock, etc.".... but honestly.... how long will you enjoy shooting a "plain jane shooter" in 308win?

Trigger and stock are usually the first things to go. If I were buying a plain jane shooter today, no frills, just as basic as they come, i'd be looking for one with at minimum an upgraded trigger, stock and possibly buffer system... however, very few of them meet those criterion, so I'd be buying parts and assembling it to meet those items. That's precisely how we set up our demonstration rifle (which I have a duplicate of in the EE currently). As basic as it should be, how Armalite intended in my opinion. just with newer tech. :D

You want to stay away from having to use "Service Rifle Loading" My buddy bought the FN SCAR 20 in 308 and if you went to the store and bought a box of 308's it would pop the primers and jam the bolt in the closed position. It wasn't easy to clear. You had to get a flat screw driver and wedge the bolt back because you couldn't pound or pull it open. :( You basically were stuck buying cases of NATO ammo

I attempted loading for it and even doing the min. load data down around 44,000 psi would still occasionally pop a primer. You have to use service rifle reloading tables. He ended up selling the heavy piece of junk. My AR-10's takes on max loaded for the loading tables. Like my chronographed 125 gr. Speer TNT pig rounds right at 3200 fps