Aoudad Hunt West Texas

It's by Juno. It's one of Mike Mckinneys properties. Maybe you can give me an idea on how they are to eat. Most people say they are terrible. For me I'm not about to leave the meat behind so was curious on if you had any recommendations for it

It's by Juno. It's one of Mike Mckinneys properties. Maybe you can give me an idea on how they are to eat. Most people say they are terrible. For me I'm not about to leave the meat behind so was curious on if you had any recommendations for it

Do you have a few dogs???...grin...

Just got back back from picking up my "sheep meat"...

Everyone here at the house said it's better than the deer I had made into summer sausage.

When I was helping manage/guide a ranch near Del Rio Texas. One of my jobs was to keep the Mouflon and Aoudad ewe's in population in check so I've ate a few ewe's. But the Aoudad Rams are tough.

So I decided to have them made into Summer Sausage!

Best idea I've ever had!

Like I said...just picked it up this morning...I have to admit it is very good!

Finally got around to weighing the bullet from my Aoudad...18.1gr. Left from a 300wm using Berger 168gr VLD hunting bullet shot at 323yd tight behind the front shoulder to exit in the same spot off shoulder. No bones other than a rib.

2018-01-17 14.05.25.jpg

Here is the nose section (with the lead from the Ram) that went up though the the back strap. Also tight behind the front shoulder but at 100yds.

2018-01-17 14.08.08.jpg

Dead is dead and they were both very dead very quickly.

I did a self guided hunt with Mike last April about an hour south of Van Horn on the Mexico boarder, I ended up walking 73 miles in 4.5 days!

Did you end up getting one?
Unfortunately not, are hunt was screwed up by the boarder patrol everyday, they were all over the place in trucks, 4 wheelers and rangers. I did see 2 shooter rams for about 5 seconds, we were never able to get on them again.

Unfortunately not, are hunt was screwed up by the boarder patrol everyday, they were all over the place in trucks, 4 wheelers and rangers. I did see 2 shooter rams for about 5 seconds, we were never able to get on them again.

Indio or 4D North?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.