Anyone running 180 Bergers over 3100 fps?

I really appreciate all of the feedback. However if anyone shooting 180's out of a 7 STW is getting up around 3100 could you please share your load data. I'm hoping to do some ladder testing this week with some new powders I picked up.

As I chined in earlier the 7mm Rem can do this. BUT...The STW really works with N570 for this weight of bullet. N570 out performs all other powders in this caliber for the heavier powders. Kinda hard to find but it rocks in this case. .020 off the lands in a 1 in 9 is what worked for me. 215 primers were accurate with the Win Mag primer being 35 fps faster and just as accurate. It is somewhat hard to over pressure this powder. Gives a even pressure curve for this cartridge.

Thanks IEH. I've been searching high and low for N570 but haven't had any luck. Here in GA I can find just about anything but no VV. Anyone have any they are willing to part with or know where I can get some?

I5010 was another heavy pill powder for the stw you usually got stellar accuracy and great velocity with moderate pressure with. 86 grains with a 175'ish in a stw or 95 gr in a 7rum with a 175'ish would easily be over 3,100 fps with great brass life. Unfortunately any good I5010 has been burned up or hoarded and I can't find any.
I'm starting to take a real shine to rl50, rl33 seems a bit peaky in the 7stw and 7rum but rl50 seems to really get it done (rl33 seems to be the cat's meow in the 300rum, but that's another story). I've got a load I'm brewing up with the 168 vld match and rl50 in my 7rum that shows real promise.

I'm currently running 180 Berger VLDs with 76.0 H1000 and averaging 2930 fps. I would like to get up to around 3150 if possible. Would appreciate any help.

All the advice and posted loads relative to high velocity with heavy bullets in the 7mm Magnum are what those people are getting out of THEIR rifles. What rifle are you shooting? What is your barrel brand and length? You can stuff in all the powder your 7mm brass can handle and still not get much more velocity. What you might get on the other hand is a ruined rifle or worse.

Last edited:
All the advice and posted loads relative to high velocity with heavy bullets in the 7mm Magnum are what those people are getting out of THEIR rifles. What rifle are you shooting? What is your barrel brand and length? You can stuff in all the powder your 7mm brass can handle and still not get much more velocity. What you might get on the other hand is a ruined rifle or worse.

I'm shooting an Accurate Ordnance built 7mm STW. Stiller action with a 25" Brux 1:9 twist #5 contour. I always start with lower charges and check for pressure signs when working up to a suggested load.

My bad. Thought you were shooting a Magnum. Really nice setup you have! What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 180's?

My bad. Thought you were shooting a Magnum. Really nice setup you have! What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 180's?

With my current load I'm shooting lights out. I just wanted to see if I could increase velocity a little and maintain the solid groups I'm getting to go along with the new scope I just got.

These were some of the last 5 shot groups I shot at 100 yds. (I'm a little spoiled having a 100 yard indoor range 5 miles from the house.)

Last edited:
With my current load I'm shooting lights out. I just wanted to see if I could increase velocity a little and maintain the solid groups I'm getting to go along with the new scope I just got.

These were some of the last 5 shot groups I shot at 100 yds. (I'm a little spoiled having a 100 yard indoor range 5 miles from the house.)

With that accuracy threshold... WHY would you want to mess with it? That extra 150fps you desire wouldn't net much loss of drop if you already are deploying a higher bc projectile..
More often than not, you have to give something to get something...

I have not shot the 180gr Bergers but have shot 175gr Sierra Game Kings with Vihtavuori 570 up to 84gr's of powder at 3200+ fps with no problems. I found my best accuracy with 81.3gr's of powder at 3080fps. I also have a load of 160gr Accubonds with 81.5gr's of Vihtavuori 570 thats around 3200fps. Both of my loads shoot fairly well right around MOA, but not as good as what you have shown. My rifle is a Ruger #1B with a 26" Barrel. My Seating depth is a std. 3.65" with WLRM primers.I think Vihtavuori 570 is a good powder for the 7STW. I've tried Retumbo but wasn't happy with the results. Have not tried RL33 but it looks interesting. In my mind powders like Vihtavuori 570, RL33 & Retumbo seem to be about the right burn rate for heavier bullets for the 7STW.

I came up with a wildcat 7mm on an improved 300 Win Mag case that I call the 7mm Valkyrie. Minimal body taper and a 37 deg shoulder. Case capacity is 93 grains of water with WW Super brass. Loading to .020 off the lands with 87 grains of RL33 moves a 180 Berger Hybrid at 3300 from the muzzle. Case heads show light ejector marks. Extraction is easy. 28" Criterion Match 1/9 on a Savage 110 receiver.

Far as I can tell it very closely mimics 7mm STW ballistics on a shorter case. Maybe next time I'll do the same thing with the STW itself. Would match the 26 Nosler capacity. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.