Anyone running 180 Bergers over 3100 fps?

StaMic006

I'm currently running 180 Berger VLDs with 76.0 H1000 and averaging 2930 fps. I would like to get up to around 3150 if possible. Would appreciate any help.

I have ran them as fast as 3200 in my lowly 7mm Rem. I know you do not believe it but the 7mm is more efficient and can hold more even barrel pressures when done right than the STW. I was a gunsmith for over 40 years and the Rem guys got it right when they did this case at that size. Load with 180gr hex coated Berger, Modify the throat to accept the coal to 3.5,.050 off the lands. Retumbo loaded up to pressure signs in a 28 inch Broughton 5C. Win Mag primer. 3200 fps! 3 loads and the case is done. Back it down to 3150 and 6 loads is easy. I have checked this my drop values and by the Magento. This is a true, honest, no internet BS, FPS speed.

they are talking about stw's ieh... and you are playing the apples and oranges game again with your non-standard rifle and coated bullets... we could go there too and still thump the 7rem... most of us don't want to screw around like that though... I played with coated pills for a while but most coatings have drawbacks like bore fouling... I'd rather step up in cartridge...

to get your velocity up a bit I'd think about going with a slower burning powder than h1000... something like rl33 or rl50... possibly 50bmg...

Lefty I think your so passionate about the STW that you do not see that high quality barrels and coatings are standard practice for those of us that play the long range game.
I have nothing against the STW. I probably had one of the first ones BEFORE Layne Simpson ever conceived the idea. I purchased the 8mm and was disappointed in the performance so I had a new game in town called Hart rifles screw a new tube on it. We called it the 7mm-8mm long magnum.

I have played with barrel coatings and bullet coatings since the 80s. Back in the 80s it was Teflon coating the barrels. I have chronographed before and afters on thousands of calibers with all the different coatings. I have yet to see any improvement on FPS with the overbore cartridges. I have seen the ease of cleaning especially on factory rough barrels. NO APOLIGIES on if that disturbed you on your passion of the STW. You do indicate that the coatings are what make the 7mm Rem more comparable to the STW?

I currently own the STW and the 7mm Rem. I can say the STW sits in the closet. With todays better selection of powders producing better pressure curves the large over bore cartridges are not what they were with yesterdays fast burning magnum powders.

Fact is the likes of the 7mm Ultra and STWs are not that much better due to todays technology.

I stated in my earlier response that some would debate this. I think that's

Last time I shot thru a chrono I was averaging 3099fps out of my 7mag on 70gr of H1000 but it's coming out a 30" barrel.

Lefty I think your so passionate about the STW that you do not see that high quality barrels and coatings are standard practice for those of us that play the long range game.
I have nothing against the STW. I probably had one of the first ones BEFORE Layne Simpson ever conceived the idea. I purchased the 8mm and was disappointed in the performance so I had a new game in town called Hart rifles screw a new tube on it. We called it the 7mm-8mm long magnum.

I have played with barrel coatings and bullet coatings since the 80s. Back in the 80s it was Teflon coating the barrels. I have chronographed before and afters on thousands of calibers with all the different coatings. I have yet to see any improvement on FPS with the overbore cartridges. I have seen the ease of cleaning especially on factory rough barrels. NO APOLIGIES on if that disturbed you on your passion of the STW. You do indicate that the coatings are what make the 7mm Rem more comparable to the STW?

I currently own the STW and the 7mm Rem. I can say the STW sits in the closet. With todays better selection of powders producing better pressure curves the large over bore cartridges are not what they were with yesterdays fast burning magnum powders.

Fact is the likes of the 7mm Ultra and STWs are not that much better due to todays technology.

I stated in my earlier response that some would debate this. I think that's

I've had 3 7rems and none would do much better than 3,000 fps with a 160 and 2850 fps with a 175 ish bullet. You are gaining enough capacity with the long throat that you are around 7-300 capacity and no longer a regular 7rem. I think the bigger 7mm's (7rem and up) are some of the best cartridges for deer size game, but they don't shine with the heavies like the 30's and above.
As I've stated before, I'd rather take the bigger case capacity and run milder loads than push the small rifle to the point where you only get 2-3 firings on the brass.
I've got 2 7rem die sets, a bunch of brass, and some loaded ammo, but no 7rem at present. I'll likely own another in the future, but I won't push the rifle.

I love this idea of lengthening the throat and running bullets out to increase powder capcity to near stw levels, then pushing moly coated bullets through a 30 inch tube and trying to explain how the 7 rem is the decisive winner in a head to head comparison.... I love the 7 rem mag but I can get the same velocities with lower pressure, better barrel life, in a lighter weight rifle, without all the added work. I also can't help but notice that all the comparisons of the 7 rem mag go after the stw or the ultra mag, ever stop to think maybe I should just shoot the genuine article instead of trying to simulate it? Just sayin, you can keep playing or you can put away the kid stuff and start slinging lead with the big boys

To the OP. I have ran 7mm 180 VLD's and 180 Hybrids at 3200 with no problems at all. I recommend and use 5C, 5R or Hart 6 grove barrels for this. Now if you get to 3300 and a twist tighter than 8.5 or you use a 3 or 4 grove barrel, you could start to see issues with jackets.

Jeff

I'm getting 2,950 fps out of a 7mm WSM with the 180 Bergers. This out of a varmit contour Brux at 26.375". No that isn't 3,100 fps but this rifle is very accurate and picks up zero copper. I clean it every 100 rounds or so just because. If I throated it for the Bergers I could probably get to 3,100 fps but I'm not going to mess with until it is rebarrel time. By then I'll probably have a 28 Nosler so who knows.

I am at 3100 with berger 180 hybrids in a 7-300 weatherby. Brass life and accuracy are great and I have no reason to try to max it out. Rather spend my barrel shooting instead of testing. Shot one deer this year at about 200 yds. 180 hybrid performed excellant.

To the OP. I have ran 7mm 180 VLD's and 180 Hybrids at 3200 with no problems at all. I recommend and use 5C, 5R or Hart 6 grove barrels for this. Now if you get to 3300 and a twist tighter than 8.5 or you use a 3 or 4 grove barrel, you could start to see issues with jackets.

Jeff

Broz,

Can you explain this?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.