Anyone hunting in Kansas this year?

Have been staying just south of Oakley the past few years. Last year ran up to Atwood and chased down a couple of old friends and shooting buddies, hadn't seen them in about 15 years.
It is Gods country IMHO. I hate going out there, because I don't want to come back home NE Ks. I have come to enjoy the scenery and people out there more than the hunting.
May holler at my nephew this year and see what his schedule is, Burlington area and south.
I have never been on a bad hunt. Some better than others maybe. A lot of the best I came home with no game, but several new friends.
Jeff

Which did you decide on between the 28N or 280AI?
I will be taking my 6.5cr and 28N...haven't gotten a load developed for the 280. I focused on the 28N first as I had an elk hunt last week, and second was the 6.5 as my son will use it this fall for, hopefully, his first deer. All three guns are new this year so I have been trying to get familiar with them and make sure the load was dialed in for the reasons above.

Now sure which I will use...take both, shoot both at a target there to verify zero in Kansas, and see what I feel like. In all honesty it probably doesn't matter as shots will very likely be inside of 250.

I am super excited about the 280ai but just had to prioritize when time got tight.

I'm hunting private land with an outfitter...can't wait. Hunting deer anywhere is fun, but when a true giant can step out at any moment even a slow day can be exciting.

This will be my third year...shot a couple of 155's on the first two hunts.

What outfitter are you using?

Just picked up my whitetail-only tag, I'll be hunting northwest Kansas this year. I'm taking out my brother in law (either species tag) for his first big game hunt.

Took this guy the afternoon of opening day. Shot him right before dark at 200 yds and he was with maybe 40 other deer in the field, so when I shot all I saw were tails running everywhere. I got back on the rifle, chambered another round, and got back on the scope. About 20 seconds after I shot I saw antlers slightly moving, then lost them as movement stopped. I thought he was standing up but wasn't sure.

After about 10 minutes I walked to where I thought he was when I'm shot him and found no blood in the snow...I walked the fence line looking for blood, and after coming up empty I looked in the small windbreak with trees and snow. I didn't see him so we backed out and decided to come back in the morning.

It was below freezing that night so any blood trail would be fine but would be tough to pick up as some of the snow started to melt later in the day, and we were worried about coyotes. We went out first thing and looked again for blood but couldn't find anything but three small drops. We walked the fence line again and could see a blood trail. We look just into the trees and saw him piled up maybe 30 yds from where I shot him...the antlers I saw was probably his head wobbling as he died. He was on a slightly elevated mound so that is probably why i thought he had been standing up.

2-DA5-EE31-D912-4002-9511-147-C23588939.jpg

C81561-C1-3-EE1-4-F4-B-AAA5-3-D4-F3383-EC9-B.jpg

Got this one with my bow, spot and stalk on some WIHA ground. He ran into a Milo patch, we we're able to get the owners name through the onX app, contact him and get permission to go in and get the deer. We hit the rut right at the peak, it was an awesome hunt. SW Kansas.

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_212009_936.jpg
    IMG_20181116_212009_936.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
It would be way to say the bullet failed to produce a blood trail, but I think he died very quickly and his chest cavity filled with blood and he died before it could pump out either side - it was a pass through.

But the bullet did the job and killed him quickly...I'm sure if he went any further there would be a big blood trail as there was massive damage from the 280AI and the 168 hunting VLD, which had muzzle velocity of 3010.

I hit him right in the bread basket and it caused massive (!!) damage. His entry had massive trauma and the exit from the ribs was something you could wiggle your fist through. The exit in the hide was very small.

With the damage below I was very happy with the bullet performance as this guy wasn't going anywhere.

Here is the entrance...
45-B5-F509-65-B3-48-BA-81-D3-54218-AC814-C1.jpg

The exit
644-A7-D8-E-4315-4-A99-A983-CA9296430-D92.jpg

When we caped him out we found this on his neck on the entry side....the bullet must have fragged and sent something at 90 degrees into his neck...massive neck trauma.
055-B7568-40-D5-4687-A500-A1701-C19-E213.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.