Anyone have luck with Accumark?

I checked today....Wby offers a 1.5 MOA guarantee at 100 yards. Unfortunately my rifle still shoots well within that range, so I'll probably just end up having to spend $500+ rebarreling my $2,100 rifle that has less than 250 rounds down it.

Not sure if they'll swap the barrel based on the bore being tight alone, but I guess I'll call them this week and see.

Weatherby will re barrel for less than $500 but I would try different avenues before going the re barrel route.

Weatherby will re barrel for less than $500 but I would try different avenues before going the re barrel route.

They should replace it for free...It left their factory that way, and it was their screwup. My smith borescoped it and said it was just a bad barrel from the factory. Said it was the worst he'd ever seen.

They should replace it for free...It left their factory that way, and it was their screwup. My smith borescoped it and said it was just a bad barrel from the factory. Said it was the worst he'd ever seen.

Call and talk to Adam he is Ed Weatherbys Son, tell him the story and that the guys at Weatherby Nation said to call.

Call and talk to Adam he is Ed Weatherbys Son, tell him the story and that the guys at Weatherby Nation said to call.

Cool, if I get a break at work this week (and I remember :D ) I'll give them a shout.

Thanks for your help Jim!

It bugs me so much because I love the rifle, and it's killed many deer. It's just a nightmare to try to clean it. I special ordered it through my local shop because it's what I wanted, it just kind of bums you out and leaves a bad taste when this sort of thing happens.

I have had excellent luck with all Weatherby rifles especially the Accumarks. I can't imagine 3" groups. My personal 300 Wby Accumark shoots 1/2 MOA all day long with 200 grain Accubonds and 210 Bergers. They are far and away my favorite factory rifle. If I didn't have access to custom rifles the Accumarks would be all I would buy for hunting rifles. They sell new for $1650 in the shops around here.

Loose spots in the Accumark are very common. It is due to the deep flutes on a button rifled barrel. I can feel with a lead slug exactly where the flutes start and stop with my eyes closed every time. It doesn't seem to hurt accuracy. My 257 Accumarks shoot even better. I would like to see this worst barrel ever. I have scoped many Accumarks and Senderos and the very best Sendero barrel was no where near what the Accumark barrel was on interior quality machining and metal finish wise. Every Remington I have looked at over the last 5 years has had a profoundly crooked chamber to bore alignment and gouged up rifling. They still shoot well though. In fact I have found zero correlation accuracy wise due to chamber alignment. I have put brakes on dozens of Rem 700 SPS 300 RUM rifles that shot well under MOA.

If you did get a bad one Weatherby will fix it at no charge. I have seen them replace 25 year old barrels for free under the accuracy warranty and refinish deluxe stocks even older that had checked the clear coat.

My smith has been at it for 25 years without a single bad report that I've ever heard. If he tells me it's the worst Wby barrel he's ever seen, I take his word for it. His first recommendation is to send it back to Weatherby. I can't imagine anyone recommending to send it to the mfg for fixing over pereonal monetary gain by rebarreling it himself, for me, with a new aftermarket tube, unless it was truly something he felt the mfg goofed on...

It has high and low spots, but not just at the beginning and end ofthe flutes...There's several more tight spots inbetween.

I gain nothing from bad-mouthing any company on the internet. And I'm not bad-mouthing Weatherby. I was stating my experience with the Accumark. And my other posts about it were in means for asking for help, and other people's thoughts and opinions.

Did I ask already? Is this a Japanese or USA made?

It's a Mark V Accumark....They're hand-built at the Weatherby plant in Paso Robles, California.
I believe Accumarks should have Kreiger barrels but I could be wrong.

If it says Paso Robles, yes it is made in Paso.
If it says Atascadaro made in Atascadaro, 15 miles south of Paso
If it says Made in the USA, made my Sauer in PA (I think I got that right)
If it says Made in Japan, it was manufactured by Howa.
If it says Made in Germany it was made by JP Sauer (it think thats the same Sauer)

It the barrel is out of true send it in.

I believe Accumarks should have Kreiger barrels but I could be wrong.

If it says Paso Robles, yes it is made in Paso.
If it says Atascadaro made in Atascadaro, 15 miles south of Paso
If it says Made in Japan, it was manufactured by Howa.
If it says Made in Germany it was made by JP Sauer (it think thats the same Sauer)

It says Paso Robles, CA on it... Pretty sure that's here in America, but I might need a globe for reference. :D

Also, I did some research a long time ago and found out they swapped to Criterion (sister company to Krieger) button-rifled barrels for the Accumarks several years before mine was built...

Made in USA ones were with SACO Defense in Maine for a while, and then to a different company in Brainerd, Minnesota. Currently the actions are still made in MN but the rifles are assembled at Weatherby headquarters. They brought the assembly process in-house last year or two - even though the press release says 2011.

http://www.weatherby.com/company/pressroom/pressrelease/item/view/44593

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherby

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.