Anyone do much late season coyote hunting?

heathbaker

I predator hunt hard from the months of Oct-Feb. I typically end my season when the weather begins to warm back up. However, during a prairie dog trip in SW ks I withstood the heat and made a few morning and evening coyote sits in 85-90 degree weather. To my suprise I was very successfull.. does anyone else coyote hunt during late spring and summer months ?

35697_510498086938_135700757_30409518_1682721_n.jpg

Ryan and his partner hunt with decoy dogs all spring and summer.

I'll be selling their dvd soon.

I went coyote hunting 3 weeks ago and got 4.gun) Wind came up too hard to hunt on Sunday around 10am. Wind sucks. I killed my first coyote with a shotgun. Shot was at 40 yards. Huge dog, going to have him mounted. I hunt sometimes in the spring and summer. I killed dogs on local ranches in the spring and summer. I would like to go to Eastern Oregon when the antelope fawns drop.

Awesome, I will have to check out that dvd Len. I plan on doing a lot more spring/summer coyote hunting. I have hunted coyote s in Ks, Nd, Ok, Co, and Mo and would really like to try Texas this summer.
Gunaddict,
Sounds like you had a good week of hunting. Wind tends to be a little rough this time of year and can really put a damper on a guys hunting plans.

I hunt them year' round. I figure when the coyotes take a break from killing the local deer, antelope, birds, and calves, I will take a break from killing them. Haven't had a break yet. ;)

I hunted hard from Jan 1 (deer season ends Dec 31) to beginning of March when coyote closes. Probably twenty plus stands, only called in 5 (3 at once, 2 at once) and got two total. It seems a lot harder here in New England than the predator shows I see on TV. Just got into coyotes in ernest this year and I like it a lot.
bigcoyote-1.jpg

EFR that is a big dog. Did you weigh him by any chance? We hunt them a little bit in the "off" season. I am turkey hunting next week and with any luck at all we will get our birds the first day, and then we intend to coyote hunt the next couple of days. I enjoy it much more in the brutal cold winter though...
Mark

Mark: I never weighed him, but I wish I did. A lot of folks that see the picture ask the same thing. He was the biggest I saw this year, but we get some pretty big ones. Neighbor down the street shot a 61lb male during deer season a few years ago.

Yote season in SC is 24-7 we kill all we can. A freind lost 3 calfs last to yotes year so we went nuts on them.

I hunt them all year around. Sometimes in summer I will hunt mid day by sitting on hill overlooking water source instead of calling. It works out pretty good on the 100*+ days. Did 4 sets last weekend and called in 5 (my 11yr old daughter was doing the calling) on 95* day,I only shot 3. Hell I like just getting out there with the kids.

Big Sky said:
I hunt them year' round. I figure when the coyotes take a break from killing the local deer, antelope, birds, and calves, I will take a break from killing them. Haven't had a break yet. ;)
I'm with Big Sky, I don't give 'em a break. When they stop chasing/killing fawns, I'll think about it, but I probably won't stop then either.

I may not be able to kill them all, but I can certainly put a dent in the population.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.