Anyone “stuck in a certain timeframe”?

98 Mauser action sporters; Win. model 70s , and Weatherby Mark V rifles. Blued steel and figured wood are my favorites. I do have synthetic stocked rifles with S/S Barrels, and they are fine shooting rifles. They feed and function and work like perfect machines, and I need them, but they have no soul.

While true, a lot can be said for having a vision for your first custom big game rifle. That vision being fulfilled by a good knowledge of what you want in a rifle and cartridge, combined with the workmanship of a skilled gun builder.

A rifle and cartridge not specialized for but one purpose, but like a good marriage, will be with you through thick and thin. A rifle that can and will be your constant companion through every possible hunting scenario that life can throw at you. You know that that rifle and cartridge can and will fulfill your wildest hunting dream, never forsake you or disappoint you. A rifle and cartridge you can grow old with …..your constant companion. A rifle that when held feels as if a part of you. A lifelong companion that when you first met was love a first sight. A rifle which is a part of many memories, leaving you with no regrets, and no desire for another!

So whether it be a classic action, deeply blued polished steel inset into a beautiful piece of wood, that could be the "Bell of the Ball", that is a bit "high maintenance or a functional action, with a stainless steel barrel cradled in a synthetic stock, that some may consider a bit plain but will be with you through the toughest of times. Each, in their own way, has "soul"!

It just depends upon which one you prefer as your "Soulmate"! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
While true, a lot can be said for having a vision for your first custom big game rifle. That vision being fulfilled by a good knowledge of what you want in a rifle and cartridge, combined with the workmanship of a skilled gun builder.

A rifle and cartridge not specialized for but one purpose, but like a good marriage, will be with you through thick and thin. A rifle that can and will be your constant companion through every possible hunting scenario that life can throw at you. You know that that rifle and cartridge can and will fulfill your wildest hunting dream, never forsake you or disappoint you. A rifle and cartridge you can grow old with …..your constant companion. A rifle that when held feels as if a part of you. A lifelong companion that when you first met was love a first sight. A rifle which is a part of many memories, leaving you with no regrets, and no desire for another!

So whether it be a classic action, deeply blued polished steel inset into a beautiful piece of wood, that could be the "Bell of the Ball", that is a bit "high maintenance or a functional action, with a stainless steel barrel cradled in a synthetic stock, that some may consider a bit plain but will be with you through the toughest of times. Each, in their own way, has "soul"!

It just depends upon which one you prefer as your "Soulmate"! 😉 memtb
I am worried for your firearms! there are lots of unhealthy questionable red flags in your relationships with your rifles.

Back in the day, a Remington 700p in 308 with a mark 4 scope was my dream rig. I attained it, and now years later, I am in a financial position to get whatever I want. But while I mess around with other things on occasion like lever guns or whatever, the 700p/mark4 is still my only "real" rifle. I've owned many others but that rig does everything I need. Steel to 1100 yards, elk and deer to 400. Anyone else just stuck in a certain time even though you know technology has moved on?
Same with pistols. I have a python and don't want anything else.
This resonates with me, I'm stuck on my wood stock blued steel Rem700, except I recently replaced the barrel to newer fast twist technology so best of both worlds, my plan is to go out using the old. New tech has not obsoleted the classics though, your 308 will still do everything the new calibers will.

I always seem to return to my first love. 1966 Savage 110C .270 Win I bought new. Old school setup. Yeah yeah do the math! I rebarreled 7 years ago which started my rabbit hole.
IMG_5907.jpeg
IMG_5908.jpeg

I like mixing the old with the new.

Your Momma wouldn't be able to talk me out of the 1861 Harper's Ferry 3 band still with the original protectant on it.
Sorry, couldn't resist. 😁

I have a few guns that I always wanted since I was a kid.

But moreso lately I have been building more modern rifles in "obsolete" chamberings.

250 Savage in a Savage Axis II.
257 Roberts AI on a Savage 111.
284 Win on a Savage Axis.

Optics has certainly changed for the better! And although much more expensive, are much better quality.

I am stuck on what is now considered old school, but I love it and can still out shoot most of the younger ones with their new fancy fetish that comes out.
🤷🏼‍♂️
This is part of why I'm still using the 700p in 308 with a mark 4 scope. I don't shoot formal competitions, but outshoot about 90% of the people I hunt with or see at the range. No doubt there are plenty of folks here that could school me though.