Anyone “stuck in a certain timeframe”?

I call it tradition, also, why fix what ain't broke.
I have 2 new cartridge designs, the 6.5x47 Lapua and 300RUM, but have made my own designs on a cartridge that beat them all way back in 1912…the 416 Rigby case is still a design that is tomorrow. It just works with little Improvement…can run the same pressures as modern designs and doesn't have any issues to speak of.

Cheers.
The .416 Rigby case is the basis for the .378 Weatherby and the variants like the .300 and the .338. I have the latter two and they are awesome (as long as you have a muzzle brake and don't mind the "hot wind" you feel after touching them off)! Also the .338 Lapua started with the .416 case. Yes, it appeals to hunters who like to "bring enough gun"!

I have 2 new cartridge designs, the 6.5x47 Lapua and 300RUM, but have made my own designs on a cartridge that beat them all way back in 1912…the 416 Rigby case is still a design that is tomorrow. It just works with little Improvement…can run the same pressures as modern designs and doesn't have any issues to speak of.

Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC00277.JPG
    DSC00277.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 24

Cheers.
416 Hell Fire

Attachments

• DSC00277.JPG
    DSC00277.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 13
Back in the day, a Remington 700p in 308 with a mark 4 scope was my dream rig. I attained it, and now years later, I am in a financial position to get whatever I want. But while I mess around with other things on occasion like lever guns or whatever, the 700p/mark4 is still my only "real" rifle. I've owned many others but that rig does everything I need. Steel to 1100 yards, elk and deer to 400. Anyone else just stuck in a certain time even though you know technology has moved on?
Same with pistols. I have a python and don't want anything else.
I went through sniper school several years back and at the time we used an M24 with a fixed 10x M3 Ultra (MK4). This was/is basically a heavy barreled .308 Remington 700 with 5 round interval box magazine (BDL). You'd be surprised what a fella could do with one of these, even without the new gadgets like a laser range finder and Kestrel. I kinda miss those days.

I don't know if this is exactly what the OP meant but yes my interests are "stuck" in a certain time period but since it spans about 120 years from roughly 1900-present I don't feel like I am missing out on much. I know there was some interesting developments around early repeaters and cartridge guns and maybe I will go back further in history when I run out of rabbit holes to dive down but I don't think thats going to happen any time soon.

Iam just starting to investigate the 45-120 cal as I just acquired a sharps 45-120 from a friend that has passed. I haven't shot it yet,but as soon as I aquire more info and get more comfortable with it my boys and I are looking forward to shooting it.
I started out running FFF black powder and hard cast lead bullets, surprisingly accurate and lots of power, however, every time I tried to Chrony the loads, I got errors…
I read an article that you can convert to smokeless and run it like any other, so this is what I have done since then. I run H4895 mostly, but have also used Varget.
I strongly recommend looking up proper load data for both black powder, and smokeless if going that way, before you do anything else. I struggled getting reliable data at first and ended up running a few QL sets to get a start point…these did not work out.
Anyway, enjoy your 45-120, it's a great cartridge.

Cheers.

OP here. I think you are the opposite of me lol. So in this case I mean there was a time when a 700p with a mark4 was state of the art. Things have moved on the last 25 years, but to me it's still the dream rig.
I don't know if this is exactly what the OP meant but yes my interests are "stuck" in a certain time period but since it spans about 120 years from roughly 1900-present I don't feel like I am missing out on much. I know there was some interesting developments around early repeaters and cartridge guns and maybe I will go back further in history when I run out of rabbit holes to dive down but I don't think thats going to happen any time soon.

I swim in the waters of yesteryear AND tomorrow. I won't let go of the past because it is my foundation. I won't deny the future because it is our destiny.
I desperately pine for my old Les Baer .38 Super 1911 IPSC comp gun though. I put more bullets down the barrel(s) of that gun than most would fire in many lifetimes.

I swim in the waters of yesteryear AND tomorrow. I won't let go of the past because it is my foundation. I won't deny the future because it is our destiny.
I desperately pine for my old Les Baer .38 Super 1911 IPSC comp gun though. I put more bullets down the barrel(s) of that gun than most would fire in many lifetimes.
Gun lovers poetry! Well spoken!

My father was. I just inherited a bunch of revolvers, lever actions, and muzzleloaders. I alway knew he was stuck in the past. Now having all these guns, I see why. 44 WCF, 25-35, 32-20 and others. I have to reload these because hard to find or expensive to shoot. New hobby as I go into retirement. Probably won't do cowboy action stuff but I am equipped. A mix of replicas and some real 120 yr old Marlins and Winchesters.

Last edited:
My M24 with 10X Leupold Ultra .308 WIn and my mint Pre 64 Win 1894 .30 WCF (1942) and Colt Python 2.5" I've had all the barrel lengths in the Python and the 2.5" inch has always felt and shot the best for me. Cheers

Attachments

• Sniper rifles M24 photos 003 (1).jpg
    Sniper rifles M24 photos 003 (1).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11
  • M94 30 WCF year 1942 - Copy.jpg
    M94 30 WCF year 1942 - Copy.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Colt Python 2.jpg
    Colt Python 2.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 12