Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

Jaging547

I like the idea, but never have. I usually have a folder in my pocket and a disposable blade knife and benchmade altitude in my kill kit.

I remember my grandpa and uncles hunting with fixed blade knives in leather sheaths in the 80's and 90's.

Same as you OP. Altitude in the kill kit, folder in the pocket.

I guess the only additional thing is a I always carry a multitool in any field I go in. So, I have a leatherman in my bino harness.

More to the point, if I had the opportunity, which I do, to carry only 1 tool not related to the kill kit, it would be the multitool.

The folder is just a light convenience. That said, if I had a fixed on my belt that was like a 2 inch blade and was fairly compact I wouldn't mind. The problem is my pack waist belt goes there, and I don't want to take my belt of to take off a knife, but I don't always have my pack when I'm hanging my bags with 550 cord, cooking at the bivy or things like than when I need a blade. So I'm not going to put it on the pack belt.

I'm pretty much the same as you guys. I have an Altitude in my pack and a Bugout in my pocket. I did buy a Havalon last year that I might be adding to my kill kit, perhaps replacing my Altitude. I do also have a Steep Country that I could swap in too, that's a nice knife that handles well and holds an edge. Too many options. I don't carry a fixed blade on my belt for the same reason as doanonymous.

In all fairness you should specify what and where you are hunting.
My answer earlier was for 90% of my hunting which is for whitetail and somewhat close to the truck.
If I'm hunting a western state which involves much more hiking then I definitely don't put a knife on my belt for the reasons other members mentioned.

I used to. I'll probably just carry a folder now with some fixed blades in the pack. My Benchmade general purpose folder is about the best skinner I have.