Any pack llama users?

DF438B3E-FD06-4A66-9E24-18D4D4FE452B.jpeg
326C9983-A1AF-4046-A64F-E5CC85007302.jpeg
I wanted to get llamas for packing but have heard they freak horses out and we own horses so the wife wasn't having any of that so we ended up getting a few goats to be used as pack goats in a couple years. They should finish at about 250lbs. They are athletic as hell and make for a good laugh when they are playing. The daughter just loves them. They act just like a dog. She had them leash trained in a couple days and now they will just follow you around.

View attachment 105534 View attachment 105533 I wanted to get llamas for packing but have heard they freak horses out and we own horses so the wife wasn't having any of that so we ended up getting a few goats to be used as pack goats in a couple years. They should finish at about 250lbs. They are athletic as hell and make for a good laugh when they are playing. The daughter just loves them. They act just like a dog. She had them leash trained in a couple days and now they will just follow you around.
Horses will spook when they first see llamas, like they do in many novel situations. Our neighbors had their horses in an adjoining pasture to the llamas. They were spooked at first, but got to the point where we went on a hunting trip with them. It was quite a sight, as one of the horses was a Belgian.

View attachment 105534 View attachment 105533 I wanted to get llamas for packing but have heard they freak horses out and we own horses so the wife wasn't having any of that so we ended up getting a few goats to be used as pack goats in a couple years. They should finish at about 250lbs. They are athletic as hell and make for a good laugh when they are playing. The daughter just loves them. They act just like a dog. She had them leash trained in a couple days and now they will just follow you around.

Any special reason for the different color collars?

The llamas worked as advertised. I have never seen or used them before. One hour to learn how to saddle and load them up. I packed in 4 miles with zero trouble. When I shot my bull, I was able to take them right to the kill. One llama packed out 100 lbs with zero problems. Offer them water once a day and move them to new grass when needed. Nothing else needed at camp.

The llamas worked as advertised. I have never seen or used them before. One hour to learn how to saddle and load them up. I packed in 4 miles with zero trouble. When I shot my bull, I was able to take them right to the kill. One llama packed out 100 lbs with zero problems. Offer them water once a day and move them to new grass when needed. Nothing else needed at camp.
Glad you had a good experience. One thing I forgot to mention is that you can use them like a hunting dog. I had a couple of experiences where they smelled elk that had recently been on the trail we were using. One of the guys we bought our llamas from told about one of his llamas "pointing" an elk for him. They have eyes like an antelope. One sheep rancher I sold a llama to for a sheep guard, told of noticing the llama staring off into the distance one day. After searching for a while, he noticed a coyote about a mile away coming towards the flock. The llama met him at the fence, and would not let him into the pasture. After dancing up and down the fenceline for a while, the coyote gave up and left. Which is another thing, they think the fence is there to keep the world out, not them in.

An outfitter i used to work for used to rub elk sent in his mules grain sack. The mules associated the smell with getting a treat, they found elk for him often.
Bet a llama would do the same thing.

Llamas are very cool in camp, ok packers but down right worthless when they get a bit older and you do not keep them trail shape. A small mule lives longer, easy keeper, tough er feet and much stronger.

scdogman, where in CO did you rent the llamas? We hauled out two elk 4.5 miles this year and were thinking of horses next year but I'd rather have llamas.

We have a llama and goats at the house. The goats are hysterical animals but I wouldn't even think of taking them out to pack. When they decide they want to go somewhere it's tough to tell them otherwise. Also, they are a prey animal and act like it. The llamas, on the other hand, are quite stoic. Once you get them on a lead they'll follow you around. Getting them on a lead is a little work but they would be easy enough to work with. They also are less likely to spook than a goat.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.