Another SA 30 Cal build

806 guns

Hey guys im wantIng to build a 30 cal SA magnum. With lapua coming out with 300 WSM brass it seems like a no brainer. I am seeing threads with guys shooting the 210 bergers. I would like to stay in the 190-210 range for a SA Mag. Is the 300 wsm the better 30 cal SA mag cartridge? I see the 300 SAUM and 300 SS as well.

Following along with you my friend. I'm a huge fan of the WSM personally. Friends of mine that have shot long range longer than I have have the SAUM over the Win, but not the WSM. I think it would be personal preference for most. But I'm interested in the dialogue.

I had great results with the 200.20x Berger and the 195 TMK over about 71gr of H1000 going 2900 fps. I gave the 215s a try and they were too long for the magazine.
I rebuilt the rifle to a 7mm SAUM and my only regret was not doing a 7-300wsm, for a 30 cal I'd stay with the WSM case unless you like extra work forming brass.

300 WSM and SA can be "iffy" when it comes to cartridge length. You can get away with some length issues by going to an extended box….but still might not accommodate some longer projectiles especially if you like shooting close to the lands. Keep in mind, I am discussing and referencing when using a magazine. Single feed is no problem. Also, center stag works better imo than staggered.

I have been there and done that and if I was to do then I would select at least a medium action, but would probably go LA. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

300 WSM and SA can be "iffy" when it comes to cartridge length. You can get away with some length issues by going to an extended box….but still might not accommodate some longer projectiles especially if you like shooting close to the lands. Keep in mind, I am discussing and referencing when using a magazine. Single feed is no problem. Also, center stag works better imo than staggered.

I have been there and done that and if I was to do then I would select at least a medium action, but would probably go LA. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
I have a Kelblys sa mag face that I will be mag feeding

Personally, I wouldn't build a 300WSM on an SA.
I would go 300SS.
300SAUM would be the most I would go.

Here is a 300WSM w. 200.20x seated to .020" off the lands in a Tikka length LA mag (with the stupid spacer in the back to mimic a SA length) vs. an HCA 300WSM LA mag and bolt stop swap.
20240107_081216.jpg