Another blown up muzzleloader

That is too bad. I hope he heals up and can use that hand good enough to get thru life.

From The Report:

Indiana DNR Law District 7

Corporal Eric Doane worked a firearm accident last night in Martin County that resulted in the shooter losing a couple fingers. This is what can happen when you shoot smokeless powder out of a muzzleloader designed for black powder.

Yep, looks exactly like my old knight mk85. This guy either was dumb as a rock or had balls the size of wagon wheels b/c not only was he shooting smokeless powder but look at his bullet, talk about pressure! To add to this marvellous idea those knights have a nipple which isn't even rated for blackhorn. WOW this guy had the odds stacked against him.... I'm sorry for this guy's loss, but this is a clear illustration of how evolution works.

I can not fathom why someone would put smokeless in a muzzle loader. Takes about 2 seconds to find the information needed online.

and

I think Indiana DNR Law District 7's facebook page is rockin cool......

Ouch indeed! If the gun isn't meant for smokeless, then don't use smokeless! A little instruction manual reading can go along way.

I shoot a smokeless muzzleloader and everyone tells me how dangerous they are and links me to stories like this. If the gun is designed for it, it should be no problem. If you try to use something not rated to handle it, bad things are going to happen quickly.

I hope the shooter makes a healthy recovery (as much as possible anyway) and learns a valuable lesson.

That looks like a rifle that a fellow in my town had blow up with black powder. It was a Knight Wolverine that he bought from somebody and did not check to see if it was already loaded and he loaded it up and when he shot it it blew up and he lost about half a hand and almost bled to death before he got to somebody for help. From the remains of the rifle it was concluded that it was already loaded and he loaded it again creating a bomb. I witnessed a rifle blow up one day at the range. This was information gained afterward. This fellow got hold of some loading tools and took the word of some dipstick that Bullseye powder was GREAT for loading 30 Carbine ammo. He filled the cases with Bullseye and crammed bullets in the case. He only got to shoot ONE ROUND. It destroyed an almost new looking WWII era M1 Carbine. The fellow escaped with only scrapped and stinging left hand but his ball cap he had on took part of the bolt through the bill of the cap. He was one lucky DA fellow.

This doesn't happen with just mix-ups in powders. about 8 years ago, when I was in OK, the family next door had a bad experience with a Damascus Barrel shotgun where the 2 older boys were going to the range and their 14 year old sister wanted to go.

Apparently she grabbed her great-grandfathers old Damascus barrel shotgun off of the rack and at the range loaded a new high power round into it. The barrel exploded about 3" in front of the receiver and peppered her face with fragments, just missing her eyes. Apparently within the coils of the barrel a rust pocket had been created between the coils and over the years had rusted out. None of this was visible from the outside. She got off lucky, but the facial scarring was pretty bad and she has had to have plastic surgery 3-4 times and her dad's insurance wouldn't pay for additional cosmetic surgery, even though it was related to the accident. **** cheap insurance company. She is slowly coming back and is now back to being a cutie, but all this was so unnecessary.

Gun had been tagged "do not shoot", but tag fell off somewhere. This is one of the reasons I won't have a non-shootable weapon around unless I drill and install a blind drift through the chamber from underneath so it can't be loaded. Don't want one of my ancestors or kids grabbing it up and trying to shoot it 20 years from now.

For what it is worth.

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.