Alternative to wall tent - military shelters? Link

FlyFishn1

I've been interested in upgrading tents/shelters for a while now. I am still leaning towards a canvas wall tent. However, I am keeping my eyes open to various options and ideas as I come across them.

This weekend we were at an event where a group had a version of a military shelter with frame and fabric that made an impression on me. The frame is square aluminum and the material is "polyester duck".

Is anyone here familiar with these? Do you know how to acquire them in the surplus world? Usually military contractors/suppliers will not cater to the general public.

Reading the documentation in the link - they made the interiors white to help with lighting. The one we were in this weekend was just cammo green inside and out.

I would be curious what the benefits/drawbacks are of the material they use. The polyester duck doesn't seem like it would breathe like canvas, for starters.

Not sure what exactly you want but the artic oven tents are awesome if you are in colder climates.

This is what I've been using and been in some pretty nasty weather.

Attachments

• 1716233280907.jpeg
    1716233280907.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 46
Was it like one of these?

These are great shelters, however they are very heavy and cumbersome. They require "supervision" while setting them up as the cableing that keeps the tension can be set tricky and if the wrong person tries to put it up and they are incorrectly alingned, they can snap the poles (ask me how I know).

If you are an outfitter, these would be bomb. For someone setting up a camp for a week, I think you could go lighter and more effecient.

Just my two cents, from packing them up and moving them a few times a day...not so fun...

Was it like one of these?
That looks similar, but not the same. Without looking at the structure I can't really say.

However, I did not see any cables as you describe in the one we were in. It was square aluminum tubing with some triangle bracing.

That looks similar, but not the same. Without looking at the structure I can't really say.

However, I did not see any cables as you describe in the one we were in. It was square aluminum tubing with some triangle bracing.
The cabling runs up in the corners of each of the tubing. It is what creates the tension for stability. Maybe/hopefully they have figured out how to make it mo betta.

I don't know what problem you are specifically trying to solve, but since you are open to suggestions, I'd suggest the 8_man tipi from Kifaru. It offers a large footprint, so you have a lot of room for people and gear. Put a fire in a large wood stove in the middle and you'll be sweating in no time. I had one that I used for several years. I could go from truck to completely set-up and ready to rock, including assembling and installing the stove in about 20 minutes, all by myself.

I don't know what problem you are specifically trying to solve, but since you are open to suggestions, I'd suggest the 8_man tipi from Kifaru. It offers a large footprint, so you have a lot of room for people and gear. Put a fire in a large wood stove in the middle and you'll be sweating in no time. I had one that I used for several years. I could go from truck to completely set-up and ready to rock, including assembling and installing the stove in about 20 minutes, all by myself.
Agreed. Seems like there are many commercial tents that would be a better option.

+1 for the pop up ice shelter. Insulated, set up is fast. Rugs for the floor. Mr buddy heater or wood stove. Wall tent just took up too much room and was a bit of a pain to set up.

Recent Posts