airgun vs rimfire?

Just tried something dumb but fun this morning, I have a bunch of cci blanks that are for shooting nails into concrete and a fist full of .22 cal 20gr pellets lol, I decided to see how it would do in my cz455 precision trainer with the lilja barrel. I used a cleaning rod to slip the pellets down to the chamber area and stopped about 1/8" short. Anyway, I'm getting roughly 1/2" groups at 30yds, hardly anything to brag about but the velocity is absurd I'm sure, I'll stick my magnetospeed on it later and see how fast they are going but I'm guessing they are well over 2000fps and would probably decentigrate a squirrel or rat.

Just tried something dumb but fun this morning, I have a bunch of cci blanks that are for shooting nails into concrete and a fist full of .22 cal 20gr pellets lol, I decided to see how it would do in my cz455 precision trainer with the lilja barrel. I used a cleaning rod to slip the pellets down to the chamber area and stopped about 1/8" short. Anyway, I'm getting roughly 1/2" groups at 30yds, hardly anything to brag about but the velocity is absurd I'm sure, I'll stick my magnetospeed on it later and see how fast they are going but I'm guessing they are well over 2000fps and would probably decentigrate a squirrel or rat.

Check for leading. That speed with soft lead would probably not be very friendly to rifling.

Idk, the speed has to be pretty high judging by what it did to the grapefruit I shot with it. It looked like it was shot with a 17hmr, I checked the weight of the pellets again and they are only 17gr not 20. I must have shot up all the 20s I had, I also looked on YouTube and apparently I'm not the first to have the idea, I'll post a link in just a minute.

gun)

I just wanted to state first off in not saying one is better than the other but, I am wondering exactly why someone might spend 1800 dollars or more for an air rifle such as an FX Impact as compared to a solid, accurate .22lr such as my cz 455 precision trainer? That's a honest question, not me being a wise A**, what are the benefits of a good air rifle as compared to a good .22LR? I've used my 22 for everything from rats and squirrels to fox and coyotes, even have a few friends in MS that use them exclusively for hogs. I have shot mine out to over 400yds on steel targets and yes I stated that correctly, 400YDS! Noise isn't an issue with my 22lr either as it's suppressed, and as for accuracy, with lapua center x ammo I wouldn't hesitate one bit to put it against any air rifle I have seen that was meant for similar use.

So again, what is the benefit of a high end air rifle compared to a high end .22lr?

Thanks, James.

I can pop squirrels in my back yard without worrying about someone thinking I'm shooting a gun. These vermin damage a lot.
Pellets are also a lot cheaper than 22 rimfire ammo.
I can practice inside my house in the winter.
It's as accurate as 22 rimfire within a reasonable range.
Mine has 3 power ranges. I always shoot on low power which is enough to kill a squirrel.
Now when I open my kitchen window, they scatter instantly. :)
By the end of the summer they rarely come into my gardenIt uses an 8-shot cylinder & has a hole in the stock to hold and additional 3 cylinders. Takes only a minute tp remove & replace with another loaded cylinder. I never need anymore that 32 rounds, even if I hunt squirrels.
I like it for what it is, not for what it isn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.