Africa 2023

I looked up some of those recommended African trips.
Some are very expensive and some are very reasonable.
I've decided to talk my wife into going as a non-hunting guest, so we'll be looking thing over in the next few months.
I figure on communicating with the PH to see how a septuagenarian would do in the bush.
I still hunt at home in Idaho but not nearly as hard as when I was a young man.

I've decided to talk my wife into going as a non-hunting guest, so we'll be looking thing over in the next few months.
I figure on communicating with the PH to see how a septuagenarian would do in the bush.
My last hunt I was 72. The way it usually works in Africa is either you sit in a blind over a water hole, or you ride around in the bakkie until an animal is spotted. Then you get out and stalk the one you want. Most hunts are much easier than North America.
But there are places it can be difficult. Even in Limpopo some areas have steep hills (being from Colorado I can't call them mountains…LOL!)
Clarify the hunt with your PH.
If you are close to a national park, heritage center, coast, etc. your wife should enjoy a day visiting them.

My last hunt I was 72. The way it usually works in Africa is either you sit in a blind over a water hole, or you ride around in the bakkie until an animal is spotted. Then you get out and stalk the one you want. Most hunts are much easier than North America.
But there are places it can be difficult. Even in Limpopo some areas have steep hills (being from Colorado I can't call them mountains…LOL!)
Clarify the hunt with your PH.
If you are close to a national park, heritage center, coast, etc. your wife should enjoy a day visiting them.
Thank you for that.
I'll be sure to relay my age and physical condition to the PH so he can make appropriate arrangements.

Quote from ridgewalker: If you are close to a national park, heritage center, coast, etc. your wife should enjoy a day visiting them.

Not my wife…….she won't be going to Africa without "kill'n something"! 😉 memtb
There was a man who worked in a store here that was a guide in Africa for years. In conversation he told me that a lot of the repeat hunters that came back, the ones who brought their wives stayed married. The ones who didn't all ended up divorced. I asked him if he knew if over money or something else. He just laughed and said he didn't know why. 🤔😉

It was very thick as it had been raining off and on for 8 weeks before our arrival. Be prepared for a very quick shot if your PH tells you to shoot.
Kind of depends on if you have hunted Africa before or not.
If not, listen to your PH, tell him up front what animals are a priority and which are optional, practice shooting off sticks, be capable of walking long distances, we did some stalks that covered more than 4 miles and averaged between 8 - 12 a day, do not be opposed to hunting over a waterhole, it's no different than hunting over a food plot or cornfield in the US for whitetail deer, take LOTS of pictures.
Thank you for the intel.

Just make double-sure all your firearms paperwork is in order. It's been awhile since I've been back, but trust NOBODY you don't personally know who is not affiliated with your outfitter. If things go well it will be an experience of a lifetime. Best of luck.
Spending time with family in Cape Town afterwards so I am using PH rifle.

I have not seen the tick problem mentioned earlier, but will also recommend the Permethrin product (also available at Walmart). It works very well in my experience. We spray two coatings on out clothes before we go and then place them in large ziplock bags for the trip. They treatments works for a few weeks. As for clothing we always plan to dress in layers as can be quite cool in early and later in the day. Midday can be very warm depending in the wind. Hat, jacket, light vest, long sleave shirt, t-shirt, and pants get me through the day. I generally where dull colors (Khakis) mostly. Ask your PH about camo, as some areas don't like it. I favor heavier rip-stop cotton and nylon blends (mil-spec) as there are a lot of pokey and thorny plants over there. For instance, I wear zip off pants for when it gets hot, but never converted due to the thorns. It's similar to our southwestern cholla and mesquite, but worse in my opinion. Good socks and a decent pair of mid height hiking boots round out my outfit.

Be sure to take all you medications in quantities for 2X your trip. Keep any OTC stuff in the original bottles. You don't need to be explaining what that the pink or the yellow pills are. Check with your DR or local hospital for any recommended vaccines or meds for the area you will be visiting. Malaria and other things are less of a problem in during the African winter (our summer) but it is best to be prepared. Definitely bring a good anti-diarrhea product incase something you consume disagrees with you.

Renting or borrowing the guns in Africa will greatly simplify your travels.

If possible add an extra day or two to your trip to allow for travel issues. A little extra relaxation time won't hurt you.

Shop around as there are plenty of affordable African trips out there. Be sure to understand the game in the area and the trophy fees fore each. You may come across a great animal that is not on your list.

Pay attention to your PH and Host. They want you to be successful and happy.

Remember to have fun and have a great adventure.

Tick scare. A bud, his wife and grandson are in Africa now. Just got a Whatsapp from him he got bitten by a tick…bad! 104.5 temp and feels miserable. Luckily they got to a pharmacist and receive doxacycline and Tylenol with codine.
He forgot to spray his clothes with Permitherin!
He did take a fine 42" buff and an OK croc before he got bit.

My hunt is a 1 hunter + 1 observer package deal for plains game.