Africa 2023

Randominator

Just returned from a dream hunt in the northern Limpopo region of South Africa. I was hunting with Madubula Safaris out of the Bandur Lodge. The weather was hot and the hunting hard, but was blessed with the opportunity to harvest these four trophies.

Blue Wildebeest taken at 88 yards with my Freedom Arms 454 using a 300 grain Speer Deep Curl bonded bullet. It took a second shot at 20 yards to finish him. Recovered bullets weighed 285 and 283 grains.

5ONanujl.jpg

L5DxRwdl.jpg

Blesbok taken at 98 yards with the same setup.

ujOthXhl.jpg

Impala taken with the same setup. First shot was 40 yards. A second shot at 100 yards through the chest and he was done.
Waterbuck taken at 106 yards using an Encore pistol chambered in 378 GNR with a 260 grain Nosler Accubond.

ypmuheKl.jpg

Waterbuck taken at 106 yards using an Encore pistol chambered in 378 GNR with a 260 grain Nosler Accubond.

5q4ZKH2l.jpg

Looks like you had a great hunt. Good job getting it done with pistols! Any import/export difficulties with your pistols? Congrats
Bruce
No. They need to be listed on the SAPS form just like a rifle. We did have to submit our paperwork twice because they decided they didn't like the term "revolver". We had to re-submit listing the revolvers as "hunting handguns".
I highly recommend hiring a third party to handle all the firearm paperwork.

Looks like an awesome trip. I am headed to the same region end of June. Any tips?

It was very thick as it had been raining off and on for 8 weeks before our arrival. Be prepared for a very quick shot if your PH tells you to shoot.
Kind of depends on if you have hunted Africa before or not.
If not, listen to your PH, tell him up front what animals are a priority and which are optional, practice shooting off sticks, be capable of walking long distances, we did some stalks that covered more than 4 miles and averaged between 8 - 12 a day, do not be opposed to hunting over a waterhole, it's no different than hunting over a food plot or cornfield in the US for whitetail deer, take LOTS of pictures.

Recent Posts