Advice on backpack hunt gear list

Best of luck, hit me up with any questions - James[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post and ideas. Let me know when you get your article done, I'd love to read it.

My list keeps getting tweaked a little at a time as I decide to upgrade, or get gear purchased for the first time. I won't post the whole thing again now, not enough changes yet, but here is the current weights. This is still for my pack, and planning on having a second person splitting shelter weight. I have everything on an excel spreadsheet now, and bought a postage scale so all weights are correct to 1/10oz.

My total pack weight (including eberlestock, rifle, binoculars, tripod,5 days food, water) 46.6lbs

Without rifle or bogpod with optic and shooting heads 35.9lbs.

Without food/water 26.5lbs

Gear without pack, 19.5lbs

It makes a difference if I carry my bogpod & heads for shooting and optics at 47oz total or my 11oz rapid pivot bipod. I'm still looking at carrying only 15x binoculars instead of binos & a spotter. I've actually found a good price on a Leica 15x56 bino with the rangefinder built in too, which would kill even more birds with one stone. I have got all my electronics using AA lithium batteries now also except the rangefinder. I'm also still picking up layers when I can on sale. I'm good on everything except wool base layers, still watching for them when I can.

Thanks again for all the replys.

My list keeps getting tweaked a little at a time as I decide to upgrade, or get gear purchased for the first time. I won't post the whole thing again now, not enough changes yet, but here is the current weights.

Since you have an Excel Spreadsheet made up go ahead and link it since it sounds like a few of us a familiar with lightweight and ultralight backpacking techniques. You can upload it to google documents for free. :cool:

I see you've bought a scale. That's the first step after admitting you have a problem so you're certainly on the right track. :)

The biggest weight savings (at first) come from just figuring out the difference between needs and wants. For example, you'll need a good knife and a way to sharpen it since you're hunting. You really don't need 3 or 4 and personally I'd bring a small toolkit for the rifle instead of a multitool and one good fixed blade like an Esee RC3 or 4. My knife is always on my person and never on or in the pack.

Since you have an Excel Spreadsheet made up go ahead and link it since it sounds like a few of us a familiar with lightweight and ultralight backpacking techniques. You can upload it to google documents for free. :cool:

I see you've bought a scale. That's the first step after admitting you have a problem so you're certainly on the right track. :)

The biggest weight savings (at first) come from just figuring out the difference between needs and wants. For example, you'll need a good knife and a way to sharpen it since you're hunting. You really don't need 3 or 4 and personally I'd bring a small toolkit for the rifle instead of a multitool and one good fixed blade like an Esee RC3 or 4. My knife is always on my person and never on or in the pack.

I'm not sure how to link the excel spreadsheet, if you could give some pointers I'll put it up.

Thanks.

I'm not sure how to link the excel spreadsheet, if you could give some pointers I'll put it up.

Thanks.

Head to docs.google.com and sign up for an account. If you have a gmail or other google account you can just use that log in. Then you have the option of uploading and sharing documents with whoever.

Be careful with those driducks pants. They're the weekest link in the driducks lineup and while I love their jackets I won't carry the pants due to durability issues with the seams. This could be a serious issue while hunting and possibly busting brush. I have some cheap rain pants (not PVC) from Wal-Mart or the like and while they don't breath they're pretty tough. Since I'll be wearing them over pants anyway I cut the liner out and they're down in the 8 oz range IIRC. Breathability isn't as big of an issue on the legs anyway. Besides, if it's cold and you're sweating you're doing it wrong.

Ditch the parastove. It's dangerous to rely on it for heat and compensating for an underrated bag (for the conditions) but it IS nice. This is -20 oz.per person. If you like cooking in camp it's probably worth keeping otherwise go with homemade dehydrated meals and an alcohol stove like the Supercat. If it's really cold consider using a vapor barrier layer while you sleep (http://andrewskurka.com/advice/technique/vaporbarrierliners.php).

I noticed on Kifaru's website that a trekking pole can be substituted for the rear pole on the Sawtooth. I'd do that if I were you. Reasonably light ones can be bought at Wal-Mart for $10-12. Make sure you get the flick lock ones and not the twist lock ones. The flick locks use the same hardware as Black Diamond poles and seem to work very well for the people I know that use them.

You should also break down the weight of the Kifaru into components. You may be able to save some decent weight by swapping tent stakes and line. Another consideration is bug netting. Does yours have it? Is it built in? Do you need it? Or you could use something like a Golite Shangra La 5 at about 6ft tall and just 46 ounces minus a groundsheet, bug net, pole, stakes, and guy lines. You'd still be able to stand up or almost stand up in it if that's a concern. The stove flap would have to be a custom job on it but it's been done before. Mountain Laurel Designs will do custom orders and may be willing to add a stove flap to one of their big mids. It's a hard call to make from here though because the Golite is just the weight of the canvas.

Sea to Summit Soap: I think your weight is wrong here. That bottle it comes in is probably over an ounces empty I'd guess 2.5 ounces or more when full. Replace with Dr. Bonners scentless soap. Dr. B's is concentrated and only takes a few drops so it can be repackaged into a micro dropper bottle. It can also double for washing yourself and brushing your teeth. There's some obvious weight savings there.
A micro dropper bottle can weigh as little as .35 ounces so figure on saving at least an ounce here. Maybe more. -1 ounce

Ditch the Frontier water filter straw and Katadyn filter for Aquamira drops in micro dropper bottles. About 6 oz. saved here.

Why the Carhart fleece beanie with face mask and balaclava? -1.9 oz.

Cut 1 headlamp. -1.7 oz.

I found the down jacket btw. That's a pretty good one.

Do you have to have the cell phone with you? Will it even work out there? -4.1 oz.

AMK Bivy Sack – It's condensation prone but I assume you'll be base camping so some emergency gear for day hunts is in order right?

Last edited:
I'll answer the questions below them in the quote

Be careful with those driducks pants. They're the weekest link in the driducks lineup and while I love their jackets I won't carry the pants due to durability issues with the seams. This could be a serious issue while hunting and possibly busting brush. I have some cheap rain pants (not PVC) from Wal-Mart or the like and while they don't breath they're pretty tough. Since I'll be wearing them over pants anyway I cut the liner out and they're down in the 8 oz range IIRC. Breathability isn't as big of an issue on the legs anyway. Besides, if it's cold and you're sweating you're doing it wrong.

I have been thinking of upgrading the dri-ducks. They aren't very nice to walk in, but are light weight if you don't plan to need them. I have some heavier Herters gore-tex fleece pants and the Sitka Nimbus jacket to take if I expect bad weather. I'll check wallyworld next time I get there.

Ditch the parastove. It's dangerous to rely on it for heat and compensating for an underrated bag (for the conditions) but it IS nice. This is -20 oz.per person. If you like cooking in camp it's probably worth keeping otherwise go with homemade dehydrated meals and an alcohol stove like the Supercat. If it's really cold consider using a vapor barrier layer while you sleep (Vapor Barrier Liners: What they are, how they work, and when to use them).

I think I want to keep the stove for a 2 man hunt. It is multi-purpose in my opinion for heating the tent, drying gear & condensation, and boiling water for dehydrated meals. For a solo hunt I'd likely go lighter. I was sticking with a synthetic bag since I had a floorless shelter and wanted it to dry if necessary. I'm fairly warm blooded and plan to sleep in my base layers. What bag would you recommend?

I noticed on Kifaru's website that a trekking pole can be substituted for the rear pole on the Sawtooth. I'd do that if I were you. Reasonably light ones can be bought at Wal-Mart for $10-12. Make sure you get the flick lock ones and not the twist lock ones. The flick locks use the same hardware as Black Diamond poles and seem to work very well for the people I know that use them.

I have the Cabelas XPG ultralight trekking poles I take also, just didn't include them in the pack weight since they are carried.

You should also break down the weight of the Kifaru into components. You may be able to save some decent weight by swapping tent stakes and line. Another consideration is bug netting. Does yours have it? Is it built in? Do you need it? Or you could use something like a Golite Shangra La 5 at about 6ft tall and just 46 ounces minus a groundsheet, bug net, pole, stakes, and guy lines. You'd still be able to stand up or almost stand up in it if that's a concern. The stove flap would have to be a custom job on it but it's been done before. Mountain Laurel Designs will do custom orders and may be willing to add a stove flap to one of their big mids. It's a hard call to make from here though because the Golite is just the weight of the canvas.

The Kifaru doesn't have a ground sheet or bug net. I've been looking at some lightweight bathtub style groundsheets for this type shelter, they just cover under your bag so condensation can soak away elsewhere. Haven't bought one yet.

Sea to Summit Soap: I think your weight is wrong here. That bottle it comes in is probably over an ounces empty I'd guess 2.5 ounces or more when full. Replace with Dr. Bonners scentless soap. Dr. B's is concentrated and only takes a few drops so it can be repackaged into a micro dropper bottle. It can also double for washing yourself and brushing your teeth. There's some obvious weight savings there.
A micro dropper bottle can weigh as little as .35 ounces so figure on saving at least an ounce here. Maybe more. -1 ounce

Good idea, I'll look into that.

Ditch the Frontier water filter straw and Katadyn filter for Aquamira drops in micro dropper bottles. About 6 oz. saved here.

I'll look into that also. The filter straw is part of the survival kit I carry while hunting away from camp.

Why the Carhart fleece beanie with face mask and balaclava? -1.9 oz.

The carhart is orange and fits over my cap or my baclava for extra warmth. I never use the facemask, and should probably cut it out. I use an orange hat to cover my legal requirement so that keeps me legal and warm.

Cut 1 headlamp. -1.7 oz.

Probably should, it's just a spare. If I keep fresh lithium batteries in the camera, GPS, and both headlamps I could drop weight by skipping the spare batteries and switch them around to more important equipment if necessary.

I found the down jacket btw. That's a pretty good one.

Thanks, it's light and fits well under my shell when needed to keep it dry.

Do you have to have the cell phone with you? Will it even work out there? -4.1 oz.

It works where I hunt in some areas I have marked on the GPS. I can call a local with horses to pack meat out if necessary, or part of the emergency kit.

AMK Bivy Sack – It's condensation prone but I assume you'll be base camping so some emergency gear for day hunts is in order right?

Right, it just rides in my daypack for emergency use with the navigation gear, fire starting gear, and filter straw.

Thanks for the reply.

BIVY GEAR LIST

-kifaru timberline w/grab-it
-1 100oz h2o bladder
-nalgene bottle
-katadyn hiker pro
-marmot sawtooth +15
-Big Agnes Air Core Mummy Pad
-fly creek ul2
-snow peak giga
-rei titanium mug
-rei spork
-small homemade first aide kit
-headlamp
-matches and cotton balls w/petrol jelly
-gpsmap60csx
-maps and compass
-1 roll flagging
-extra batteries
-havalon piranta (6 blades)
-leatherman tool
-3 light weight game bags
-1 kifaru meat bag
-zip ties
-vortex 10x43 binos
-2 50'sections para cord
-unscented wipes (dehydrated)
-duct tape (2' wrapped around pen)
-2 pair morino wool socks
-1 smartwool baselayer bottoms
-1 pair pants (sitka timberline)
-1 sitka core zip t
-1 sitka traverse zip t
-sitka 90% jacket
-sitka jetstream vest
-1 hat
-lightwieght pancho
-lowa tibets
-outdoor research gaitors
-gloves
-daily food packaged for 2500 calories a day and emergen-c
-small notepad
-pistol w/extra mag

This list with 1 week of food weighs in at 43lbs. the only thing that changes the weight is the amount of food and severety of weather. The price of the pack and boots along with other gear always gives peoply pause. My theory on bivy hunting and gear goes something like this.

Backpack hunters have lots of reasons to go back to base camp. The mountains are a rough place. Steep, thick, changing weather from cold to hot as hell and the fact that we have families we miss and that miss us. All of these things, combined with others that we cannot change give us reasons to go home. The last thing we need is more reasons to go home. If our boots are sub-par, our feet will be more uncomfertable sooner. When this happens, every step we take is a reason to turn back. If our pack is not top notch for carrying the weight we are and our shoulders get sore, every shift in the weight, every step we take is a reason to go back. If the clothes we wear don't wick moisture, fit right and agree with our activities, we will get uncomfertable, cold, stink and chaffe. All of these things will make us want to turn back with every step we take, every stream we cross and every ridge we hump.

I spent a lot of time avoiding high end gear because I was appauled at the price. Now that I've bit the bullet and spent the money, I regret all those years i resisted. When I think of all the times I turned back for various reasons that I can now attribute to inferior gear it makes me wonder how many more animals I could have harvested and how many more memories I would have made.

I hope my experiences will help some of you with future hunts.

gun)

This list with 1 week of food weighs in at 43lbs. the only thing that changes the weight is the amount of food and severety of weather. The price of the pack and boots along with other gear always gives peoply pause. My theory on bivy hunting and gear goes something like this.

Backpack hunters have lots of reasons to go back to base camp. The mountains are a rough place. Steep, thick, changing weather from cold to hot as hell and the fact that we have families we miss and that miss us. All of these things, combined with others that we cannot change give us reasons to go home. The last thing we need is more reasons to go home. If our boots are sub-par, our feet will be more uncomfertable sooner. When this happens, every step we take is a reason to turn back. If our pack is not top notch for carrying the weight we are and our shoulders get sore, every shift in the weight, every step we take is a reason to go back. If the clothes we wear don't wick moisture, fit right and agree with our activities, we will get uncomfertable, cold, stink and chaffe. All of these things will make us want to turn back with every step we take, every stream we cross and every ridge we hump.

I spent a lot of time avoiding high end gear because I was appauled at the price. Now that I've bit the bullet and spent the money, I regret all those years i resisted. When I think of all the times I turned back for various reasons that I can now attribute to inferior gear it makes me wonder how many more animals I could have harvested and how many more memories I would have made.

I hope my experiences will help some of you with future hunts.

gun)

Very good explanation...well said.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.