adding brake to factory

If I didn't live in the communist state of NY, I'd put a suppressor on every rifle I own. I shot a fully suppressed Ruger 10-22. Using no hearing protection indoors, the loudest thing I heard was the bolt returning to battery. Sweet :D
That might break the bank for me. I only have three, but I can use them on most of my rifles that are threaded the same.

That might break the bank for me. I only have three, but I can use them on most of my rifles that are threaded the same.

Good idea - maybe universal mounting adaptors would be an option.

Here in New Yorkistan, it's a felony to even look at a suppressor or high-capacity magazine. There is a reason that NY is the #1 state that citizens are exiting.

Good idea - maybe universal mounting adaptors would be an option.
Yes, and I have some for my rifles threaded for 1/2-28s.
Here in New Yorkistan, it's a felony to even look at a suppressor or high-capacity magazine. There is a reason that NY is the #1 state that citizens are exiting.
Sad, but true.

There is nothing quite like the CRACK of a big 300mag or 338mag with an efficient brake and NO hearing protection. I believe that even one shot from a braked rifle can do damage that is irrecoverable. Hearing loss is often the result of accumulated, abusively high noise levels.

I never used any hearing protection (prior to brakes) when hunting outdoors. I've been shooting varmints and biggame most of my life. I'm paying the price now for a lifetime of carelessness.

If I didn't live in the communist state of NY, I'd put a suppressor on every rifle I own. I shot a fully suppressed Ruger 10-22. Using no hearing protection indoors, the loudest thing I heard was the bolt returning to battery. Sweet :D
I've got a 10-22 suppressed and running subs . Yep you hear the bolt cycle and then your impact. Had a buddy shoot it and he was amazed it was quieter than a bb gun. I didn't have enough time for him to try my 300blk suppressed .

As with anything else, one needs to adjust accordingly to any change. I am in no way saying it does not happen, but "I"have not personally experienced significant change in groups, but did so in POI, esp. with suppressors. The best way to avoid this situation is to do load development with the chosen muzzle device.

If this is a concern for the OP, a tunable MB might be worth the investment. I have the EC tuner brake.
I don't reload, just yet anyway, but do have different cartridges to try.we'll see how it goes, it will take a couple months.

I'll be 60 next month, many years of snowmobiles , and engines and guns, I need hearing aids 24/7, wish I had the new technology to protect my hearing back then.
I think I read that i could lose 200 ft/sec per inch. I think I'll ask the gun smith to thread muzzle and that's about it. thanks alot eh
Agreed. I'm pushing 60 as well and the combination of infantry, and shooting for years with little to no hearing protection has had me wearing hearing aids for for years and the tinnitus is a nightmare at times.

@ Tuktu,..
Longer Barrels, will Push, the "Blast Noise", FURTHER Away from, the Shooter and Give near Maximum Velocity as,.. a Bonus !
All of, Our Braked Barrels are 24 inches long and about, 2- 2 1/2 inches Longer with, the PVA, Back Country Brake on them.

Be aware that adding a muzzle brake does change the harmonics of the barrel causing your precise ammo to not be as precise. (i.e. group size getting larger)
DISAGREE with This ^^^ As We've Checked Before and AFTER Group's and Velocities, in 6 different Rifles,..
a .22-250 Rem 700 factory 24" Sporter, Braked, a 6 XC 10 Pound, Light Varmint, Braked , 6.5 Creedmoor Hunting / Steel Rifle, Braked, a .270 WSM Deer , Antelope and Elk Rifle with 140's STILL clocking, 3,175 FPS, Braked, My grandsons 6.5 PRC and Son's 7mm PRC Proof 24" Bbl's and All, "Shoot", AWESOME and, Velocities were, the SAME,.. Before and After !
IF Different, You probably HAVE, Other,.. "issues" ( Like a whippy, small diameter, Pencil Barrel ) Or,.. a Chitty Brake !

Last edited:
@ Tuktu,..
Longer Barrels, will Push, the "Blast Noise", FURTHER Away from, the Shooter and Give near Maximum Velocity as,.. a Bonus !
All of, Our Braked Barrels are 24 inches long and about, 2- 2 1/2 inches Longer with, the PVA, Back Country Brake on them.
thanks alot! that's where I was headed.

Recent Posts