Accuracy help, factory Kimber Montana 300wsm

I had same rifle, same caliber, from 2005 manufacture.
I never had a "flyer" problem as you described but that gun was a 1.5+ moa gun. I ran untold numbers of different factory loads and reloads trying to find the right mix and never discovered a solution.
Without flyers, I chalked it up to that whippy-light barrel.
Really nice carrying it on hunts, not so nice at the range where I only want "interesting" guns.

My wood stock kimber had a very nice factory bedding job. I like to do the easiest thing first.

1) confirm it is free floated. free floating is not a dollar bill - free floating is about 3 dollar bills of thickness.

2) If free floating doesn't fix it, now insert 1 or 2 business card about an inch back from the muzzle to simulate a pressure pad. Pressure pads are quite effective.

3) Try "barrel whacking" - see this thread https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/1111035152/p/1
this is not a joke, it works and won't hurt the rifle.

Last edited:
I have one in 300 WSM, it right at 1 MOA in factory configuration. I wanted a more compact package and cut the barrel to 20" and put self timer SRS TI PRO Tiny titanium brake on it. The same loads that were 1 MOA or better with now all shot 2.5 MOA. I ended up playing with the self timer brake and rotated it 180 degrees and locked it down, I tried some Norma 180 bondstrike and they went into multiple sub .5 moa 3 shot groups, I had a handload with 185 bergers that shot even better. Those tiny barrels are "whippy" dont be afraid to try one of those rubber "donuts you slide up or down the barrel. action torque specs need to be spot on also, I have read about the binding mag box alot also.