Accuracy build help

I love budget deals. I have several Monstrum LPVOs. The Truck AR @bamban built for me is running a 1-8x24 and is just about perfect. If I would have had a reason or a rifle, I would have picked up an Arken EP-8 when they had the 25% off deal.

Note: Looks like Arken still has the 25% code. Hmmmm.
I like the Arken I own but I want more than 8x. 2-12 seems perfect 👌

Both are on AR's (6.5prc & 7-08rem), but the 2-12 or up to 20 is what'll go on the 7saum.
A few NF optics fit the bill also

Those 2 are my favorites
I think I'm into that Athlon Helos 2-12. May have found my new scope for this rifle. I will post my list of parts later this week.
Right now I've got on matched Aero set of upper, lower and handguard and my Larue trigger. 👍

I think I'm into that Athlon Helos 2-12. May have found my new scope for this rifle. I will post my list of parts later this week.
Right now I've got on matched Aero set of upper, lower and handguard and my Larue trigger. 👍
At 22ozs and under 12" it's great!

My advice is highest powers with super fine cross hairs. I always find myself shooting at higher than 24X power and at really long ranges up to 40X power. big objectives give you a great field of view.

Locally we have these many square mile dry lake beds. So we setup a shooting table and then we line up with our golf driving clubs and knock a bucket or two of old pickup golf balls. I can drive balls over 300 yards. But anyway they get scattered all over. A friend showed up with an AR with some tiny scope. like your 12 power idea or the 28mm Sig posted above. When you start looking at golf balls at over 100 yards. They become hard to find and even worse if the cross hairs are bigger than the object that you are trying to shoot at. Like my above posted 308 picture. That is a 10X40X 60mm very heavy, but it works!

The friends gun when sighted in I got some hits out to about 150 yards. I told him to stick to the short balls and I will work on the long stuff, LOL.

My 20 inch piston SS no forward assist All forged parts squirrel gun.

20inch.jpg

Last edited:
Dry lake beds that you can see the curvature of the earth. Actually this is a telephoto shot of the black rock mountains and they are actually 6 miles away

Black rock desert 053.jpg

Last edited:
You have to consider that a squirrel head or body kill shot is about the same size as a golf ball. Colored balls are easier to find :)

This is another practice day out at another dry lake bed. Two AR's in soft cases on my quad and set up the shootin/cooking table on the shade side. We were camped on hill probably 50 yards higher than the dry lake. Group of friends brought their high powered PDog stuff and we had brought cases of cheap canned beer and we place them all over out to say 600 yards talking on radios with laser range finders.

shook up hot canned beer actually kinda simulates exploding little crittters. Kinda fun to watch your friends shoot while using a spotting scope. Practice makes perfect.

Yes, we do pick up everything including the golf balls!

Smoke all over from forest fires 200 miles away and waiting for the others to show up in the middle of Nevada. We've got lot's of antelope out here over the years on the round irrigated fields. We drove this dry lake North and south and then eat to west and it was 29 miles and 12.4 miles wide. Winter they get water on them and the wave action makes them nearly smooth. It was actually soft and the quads and side by sides leave tracks.

1dodge dually.jpg

Last edited:
@budlight

Does bridging the receiver and handguard give you any issues?
I haven't had any issues with a 1-piece/cantilever mount. 1 piece mounts are only made for small type scopes. That being said, The modern NON proprietary type forged uppers and M-lok free floating hand guard big barrel nut become like one piece. If anything the scope adds to rigidity.

Just think about how free floating pillar block or glass bedded target barrel is setup. The barrel base and action are one and the barrel whip and shockwave are free floated away from the front stock.

@budlight

Does bridging the receiver and handguard give you any issues?
I found an old picture of my first piston rifle build. So it's the older brother of the aqua Hogue kitted in the above post. Another example of scopes of mine that extend onto the free floating M-Lok hand guard. I'm big on quality scopes so you can see and find tiny critters way out there. Like these ground squirrel colonies when they are standing motionless at 300 yards on their mound. Extremely dificult to see even when your scope is turned up over 24X. The only rifle that I have a small scope on 2X10X is my safari 458 win mag. Twice on loan it's gotten the African Big 5. You don't want lots of magnification to blast a charging elephant in the forhead! LOL

20 inch 9 twist match stainless barrel. I got these bare aircraft aluminum lowers because I was going to try my hand at home camo painting.

1pistonrifle.jpg

Someone ask me what that small block under the scope is? Those are for mounting the Caldwell brass catchers. You can buy extra blocks and move your catcher between rifles. They work great and you don't have to search in the dirt where your cases are.

Recent Posts