Accura LR .45

duckhunter175

Picked up an Accura LR .45 that I'm excited to get working with. Have had 3 Accura .50s in various configurations including my MR that I used to take my CO elk and muley last year. Both were 100 yard shots and I was running the Harvester Sabretooth 300gr.

This year I have a CO bear tag and want to bring the .45-- BH209 plug is installed, running Williams Western Precision Sights.

But I'm at a loss for bullets. I really want to try the smooth sizing with Arrowhead 300gr XLD or Parker 300gr Black Max-- especially since the Powerbelt ELRs appear to be out of stock everywhere.

Thoughts on:
1. Bullet Choice
2. Wad / No Wad
2. BH209 charge weight? I ran 80gr (by weight) BH209 in my .50s and always shot well.

The 300gr XLD is an excellent and extremely accurate bullet. I shot it yesterday with light charges (120/84), getting ready for a possible match in October. I always choose to use a wool wad.
Another choice would be the Fury 50cal bullets with the .015" jackets. Not the Fury for SML, but the bullets designed for black powder velocities. Excellent hunting bullets.

I have one, and when I talked to Bob parker he recommend the ballistic extreme (BE), due to the lower velocity. I bought it with the intent to shoot the blackmax. I shot a few of the 300 grain BE that he sent me. They shot about 2200fps, and grouped well. I ordered 50, but they wouldn't load. What I didn't realize is that he sized the ones he first sent me to try to .4514. The ones I ordered are .4525. I found some Powerbelt ELR's and they shoot great 2250 sub moa at 100. These were all shot with 85.5 grains by volume blackhorn. I decided to by some sabots and shoot the ballistic extremes out of my 50cal. The reason I haven't went any higher with the powder volume is because the primers started deforming not allowing me to open the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.