Acceptable Accuracy For Hog Hunting

Our standards have really narrowed down in the last couple of decades!! Win Mod 70 with a 4 power Weaver scope and factory 30-06 ammo that would have worked just fine in 1970! I am sure it will work just fine now but we have better! When people could not see open sights anymore and went to a 4 power it was pure heaven. Factory ammo was just not that great either. You kind of had to will the shot in there but they killed lots of stuff. I was told a year or so ago about a sub moa rifle, "that's a target rifle, you just don't need that to hunt" and he was probably right!
Best hunters I ever knew weren't brilliant shots and had OK rifles, but they were exceptional hunters always getting within their comfort zone for an easy shot.

When I am hunting, I drift back and remember what dad taught me. If you cannot kill the animal with one shot, don't shoot.
I have helped others that wounded the animals in tracking them down. They would usually die of their injuries later on, and if a predator did not find them, the meat was wasted and the animal died in pain for nothing.
I zero at a quarter mile. Every shot must be within an inch and a half, the size of a 25 cent quarter.
Then targets are set at 50 yards, out 50 yards, again, and then I know where every shot will hit out to the maximum I will shoot.
Some shoot just good enough. That is their right, and their prerogative. I was just raised differently.
1 MOA at 440 yards (1/4 mile) is 4.6". Very few factory hunting rifles are capable of .33 MOA groups even at 100 yards with handloads. At 440 it is much harder. Most shooters can't do it even if their rifle can. Your expectations are ridiculous for a normal hunting situation.

Way back in the early '70s I was shooting my first rifleI purchased, a Mohawk 600, 308 weighed less than 5pounds.
Dad taught me if you cannot kill it in one shot, do not shoot it. I have hunted with too many that have shot, wounded the animal, and then called me over to track it down. I did, and then had the shooter kill it.
I do not hunt with those that shoot sloppy, or do not have their rifles and/or skills zeroed in. Mistakes can happen, but you need to stop making the same mistakes.
My opinions. I do like to have wounded animals suffering and dying slowly.

1 MOA at 440 yards (1/4 mile) is 4.6". Very few factory hunting rifles are capable of .33 MOA groups even at 100 yards with handloads. At 440 it is much harder. Most shooters can't do it even if their rifle can. Your expectations are ridiculous for a normal hunting situation.
Maybe my expectations are high. You have yours, and I have mine. I use a factory rifle, a good scope, and I have refined my reloading to put all rounds within the diameter of a quarter, at a quarter mile. My comfort zone.
I still believe that if you cannot kill the animal in one shot, don't shoot it, unless you are willing, and have the skills to track the animal down and kill it, then pack it out. Regardless of the time and effort you must put forth.

Maybe my expectations are high. You have yours, and I have mine. I use a factory rifle, a good scope, and I have refined my reloading to put all rounds within the diameter of a quarter, at a quarter mile. My comfort zone.
I still believe that if you cannot kill the animal in one shot, don't shoot it, unless you are willing, and have the skills to track the animal down and kill it, then pack it out. Regardless of the time and effort you must put forth.
Wow!
That's impressive!
If my calculations are correct... the diameter of a quarter is just under 1" (.955").
A group of .955" @ 440 yards (.25 mile) equates to approximately 1.30" @ 600 yards (.34 Mile) and 2.17" @ 1000 yards!
That factory rifle with a good scope is shooting in the very low 2's!

Last edited:
Take a old fence post put it in the ground at 50 yards and nail a snuff can long ways on top so the bottom faces you then do the same with a soup can at 100 yards when you get good at taking the bottom out of each you have just learned how to hunt most any animal including pigs and no hunting party will ever object to you joining there party or be worried about there safety or ethics on your part.
Yep.

Since this thread resurfaced, Ill ask a question as we don't have them here (yet) so I don't and have never hunted them.

I was always under the impression pigs are highly intelligent animals like dogs (coyotes) and required long shots if not chasing them down in vehicles.

So, those of you who hunt them without vehicles at what ranges are the majority of your shots? Please note if your stalking or stand shooting over bait.

While they do rely on their sense of smell and hearing, they can be fooled. While using night vision devices, we would spot a sounder and move to a position which allowed us to walk in their direction with the wind in our faces. If you move slowly and QUIETLY, you can walk within about 40yds without a single pig picking up on your presence. But if you let the tripod leg clank or touch something with your rifle barrel; their gone!

I know this isn't about accuracy, but about trapping and/or drawing them in. A coach I had was a running back for Chicago Cardinals in the 50s that trapped hogs on my property (yes he did by asking so) and he used used cooked oil/grease from schools that gave it to him. He added corn to the iol/grease into a metal trough inside the fencing. He said he could trap lots that way and the only other animals that would go to it were raccoons. The fermentation drew them in.

I know this isn't about accuracy, but about trapping and/or drawing them in. A coach I had was a running back for Chicago Cardinals in the 50s that trapped hogs on my property (yes he did by asking so) and he used used cooked oil/grease from schools that gave it to him. He added corn to the iol/grease into a metal trough inside the fencing. He said he could trap lots that way and the only other animals that would go to it were raccoons. The fermentation drew them in.

cinnamon rolls work very good

I just got back from a javelina hunt. I use a 7mm TCU Contender carbine that is a joy to carry and shoot. When I shoot, I can see the result. My friend shot one on Thursday with his .270 at about 25 yards. He lost sight of it because of the recoil, and went to the wrong spot to look for it. For some reason, he was looking for it 100 yards away. I walked back up to where he shot and found it. Of course the .270 blew away both shoulders.

The older I get, the more I like light weight guns and light recoil.

I just got back from a javelina hunt. I use a 7mm TCU Contender carbine that is a joy to carry and shoot. When I shoot, I can see the result. My friend shot one on Thursday with his .270 at about 25 yards. He lost sight of it because of the recoil, and went to the wrong spot to look for it. For some reason, he was looking for it 100 yards away. I walked back up to where he shot and found it. Of course the .270 blew away both shoulders.

The older I get, the more I like light weight guns and light recoil.
I also shot a 7mm tcu @metal from 25-100Meters. Even shot an Elk one year. Aprox 30 yds. Great firearm, hurt my hand to shoot very much. But was a Killer!

Sighting in a Firearm? I've. Always set a Target at 1000 inches, Aprox 26 yds. Puts one on paper at 100 yds, or should. From there ZERO UP!
300 WM. HMR-PRO just starting to break in. First rounds shot.
Picture #1 at 1000 inches. #2 at 100 yds!
IMG_1477.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1477.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg