Absolute Hammer load data

Actually, all six of powders tested were just short of or slightly beyond shoulder.....NONE of them were compressed loads and I suspect I could add an additional 3-5 gn beyond loads that pressured out. Have not H2O tested brass capacity to determine EXACT load fill.

Last edited:
Regardless of powder used, my rifle starts displaying pressure around 3150.....at 3180, bolt lift is VERY stiff and ejector swipes are plainly seen.

@lejuch,
I too am disappointed in your speeds. I have a 6.5 Sherman Max on the way, and I was anticipating starting with H100V.
I am looking for about 3400fps. Hope I'm not disappointed.
According to Rich Sherman, case volume is very close to 70 grs of powder in the Max.
I got good accuracy at 3400 in my 6.5-06AI with the 123s. I was hoping for around that speed with the 129s in the Max!

@lejuch,
I too am disappointed in your speeds. I have a 6.5 Sherman Max on the way, and I was anticipating starting with H100V.
I am looking for about 3400fps. Hope I'm not disappointed.
According to Rich Sherman, case volume is very close to 70 grs of powder in the Max.
I got good accuracy at 3400 in my 6.5-06AI with the 123s. I was hoping for around that speed with the 129s in the Max!
GL, I'm going to try a more traditional bullet, and going to try Varget, to try and further ascertain reason for less than stellar speeds.....as stated earlier, my 6.5 Max has a Carbon Six barrel which may just be slow, it is new so hopefully it may speed up a bit later on as well as I get a few more rounds down the tube. With enough trial and error, I'm confident I'll determine reasons for current performance (or lack thereof)! I'm all in on the Max, a 7 and a 338 both are still in production so I better figure it out! As far as capacity, I'm running into pressure at 64-65 gns of RL26, which so far has produced the highest speeds for me but starting at around 3150-3180 FPS is when I start having pressure issues. I figure the shorter barrel cost me 50-75 FPS as well.

Last edited:
GL, I'm going to try a more traditional bullet, and going to try Varget, to try and further ascertain reason for less than stellar speeds.....as stated earlier, my 6.5 Max has a Carbon Six barrel which may just be slow, it is new so hopefully it may speed up a bit later on as well as I get a few more rounds down the tube. With enough trial and error, I'm confident I'll determine reasons for current performance (or lack thereof)! I'm all in on the Max, a 7 and a 338 both are still in production so I better figure it out! As far as capacity, I'm running into pressure at 64-65 gns of RL26, which so far has produced the highest speeds for me but starting at around 3150-3180 FPS is when I start having pressure issues. I figure the shorter barrel cost me 50-75 FPS as well.
I've got a CarbonSix on my 7 STW and it's not slow. It does shoot tiny groups. Just FYI

Your just running to slow of a powder