A True LR Hunting Challenge?

The mile is so difficult. Last time we figured out we had about 6mph winds blowing opposite directions
I think I over estimated the wind on my part. I gave it a 2 mph 44 degree value. I think I should of gave it a 1 mph wind value.

The mile is so difficult. Last time we figured out we had about 6mph winds blowing opposite directions
Yeah wind is the hardest variable. But the coyotes in my area have are over populated. Heck we probably have too many cougars too. And a pair of wolves have been spotted not more than five miles from my house. I don't like to take questionable shots on animals. Which is why I had a pretty decent string of cold bore hits on even smaller animals than big game. But these coyotes have been a big problem here. One rancher lost more than nine calves last spring. And some people are getting scared for their small children. After what happened two those brothers in California I think I'll swallow my pride and take even questionable shots on predators for a while.

I was thinking I should have used my 7mm RM. But the trigger on it is a bit heavy at 3lbs 12oz. I have alot more trigger time behind my 260 AI too. But the optics on the 260 AI aren't great, fixed 10X SWFA.
I definitely shoot my 260ai a lot more than the AM, but that AM just is fun to shoot way out there.

Yeah I think they called it their coldbore challenge or something like that. You had to pre-qualify and there was a time frame to compete the challenge. I don't think they took that many shots either.
Yes cold bore challenge. I participated. If your MER was less than 600 you only shoot 2 shots. Cold bore, different days, no shooting between shots. If your MER was beyond 600 you had to shoot (and hit) 2 cold bore qualifier shots on different days at 600, and if you connected on those 2 shots then you earned 2 additional shots at whatever your MER was. So <600 yds 2 shots, >600 yards 4 shots.

Pretty interesting to look through the results and count how many "competent shooters" could not hit a 10" target at what they considered to be their maximum effective range.

I was gearing up to do some long range coyote hunting at a buddy of mine over in eastern Washington but by the time I got over there, word must've got out and they were gone. We saw one doing Mach 5 and disappeared at a fair distance. He said he thinks some guys are using thermals and during the day they figured out like where your at that 1000 yards is no longer a safe distance.

I was gearing up to do some long range coyote hunting at a buddy of mine over in eastern Washington but by the time I got over there, word must've got out and they were gone. We saw one doing Mach 5 and disappeared at a fair distance. He said he thinks some guys are using thermals and during the day they figured out like where your at that 1000 yards is no longer a safe distance.
That might be what's happening in my area. I know one rancher hired a helicopter. I spotted 11 or 12 coyotes last year in 2 hours of scouting. If spotted at 600 yards they took off like bats out of hell. Even at 900 yards they were slow trotting off. And at 1200 yards they were wary and using cover.

I did something very similar 8-10 years ago, but for a real hunting shot. I had a feeder set up at 656 yards, and put a steel plate beside it for practice with just a cold bore. When I had time, and in the evening, I would send just one round at the small black dot on the plate. I would then ride to the plate and measure impact from POA and dope scope, repaint target and wait until the next day, or until gun was back to cold bore. After a period of time, the gun dope was right, POI consistent, and I decided to see if I could make the shot on live game. Deer were on the corn daily, and I waited for optimal conditions and got on stand. Gun performed as practiced and a perfect shot entered just under the ear.

With that complete, I started to think of everything that could have gone wrong, and I will not try that shot again under any circumstance and not ethical to the animal, as too may factors can change in a blink of any eye.

I do like the idea of the challenge with a steel plate and cold bore. Would probably do it with 3-5 guns, so I could take 3-5 shots per day.

What I did learn was my POI on cold bore at that range was several clicks off from warm/range time barrel. For true LR, it is imperative for most barrels to be zeroed when cold bore.

I did think about making a warming sleave that could be draped over your barrel, and powered by batteries, to bring your barrel up to a constant temperature so your barrel was always the same temp for the shot. Cool idea but doubt anyone would want to buy and more importantly carry it on a hunt.

Yes cold bore challenge. I participated. If your MER was less than 600 you only shoot 2 shots. Cold bore, different days, no shooting between shots. If your MER was beyond 600 you had to shoot (and hit) 2 cold bore qualifier shots on different days at 600, and if you connected on those 2 shots then you earned 2 additional shots at whatever your MER was. So <600 yds 2 shots, >600 yards 4 shots.

Pretty interesting to look through the results and count how many "competent shooters" could not hit a 10" target at what they considered to be their maximum effective range.
This just seems so crazy to me. Even at the 600 yard matches I've gone to that have 3-6" gongs set up as sighters it's not hard to get first round impacts but I will say here where I'm at there's always standing timber protecting a lot from the wind. I have shot in the eastern Washington and had the mirage make the target almost disappear at 600-800 but I'd never take a shot at an animal in those conditions

The last time out I was shooting with a couple guys that had very accurate carbon barrels that I questioned the first cold bore shot being off by quite a distance. I had thought that wasn't supposed to happen with those barrels. It could have been rear bag settling but made me very curious

I did something very similar 8-10 years ago, but for a real hunting shot. I had a feeder set up at 656 yards, and put a steel plate beside it for practice with just a cold bore. When I had time, and in the evening, I would send just one round at the small black dot on the plate. I would then ride to the plate and measure impact from POA and dope scope, repaint target and wait until the next day, or until gun was back to cold bore. After a period of time, the gun dope was right, POI consistent, and I decided to see if I could make the shot on live game. Deer were on the corn daily, and I waited for optimal conditions and got on stand. Gun performed as practiced and a perfect shot entered just under the ear.

With that complete, I started to think of everything that could have gone wrong, and I will not try that shot again under any circumstance and not ethical to the animal, as too may factors can change in a blink of any eye.

I do like the idea of the challenge with a steel plate and cold bore. Would probably do it with 3-5 guns, so I could take 3-5 shots per day.

What I did learn was my POI on cold bore at that range was several clicks off from warm/range time barrel. For true LR, it is imperative for most barrels to be zeroed when cold bore.

I did think about making a warming sleave that could be draped over your barrel, and powered by batteries, to bring your barrel up to a constant temperature so your barrel was always the same temp for the shot. Cool idea but doubt anyone would want to buy and more importantly carry it on a hunt.
I was trying the samething with this pack of coyotes on this rock pile. The first time I spotted them a month ago they were pretty nervous when I was at 1405 yards from them. So I tried getting at them another way for two weeks but they weren't around. One way I had to drive through some dead tumbleweeds stacked pretty high. I didn't like that and only did it because it was still wet out. So last week they weren't at the rock pile and I let one go at 1405 yards. First one was alittle off due to my wind call, after that it was spot on. I figured I could do the same with my new 1405 yard dope. But the pack spotted me a mile off. So I took the shot, I don't think they would of stuck around if I tried to get closer. Originally I decided against taking the shot but then the wind died down and the coyotes were laying down after their nerves settled. That's when I figured now or never.

My first round impact dreams at 1 mile were shattered by reality. I do have visions of success out to 1000 which I've had success but need to get my drone plan going for different environments to see if I've just been lucky. What the heck were you shooting at that distance?
Here's my rifle with the longest cold bore kill to date. A pretty big badger at 659 yards. 145gr Barnes Match Burners. They were my fire forming loads.
1711650965930.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not real knowledgeable about the wildcats. AI is Ackley improved? How does it compare to 6.5-300- 6.5 prc ? It's definitely a nice looking setup

I'm not real knowledgeable about the wildcats. AI is Ackley improved? How does it compare to 6.5-300- 6.5 prc ? It's definitely a nice looking setup
Thanks, it's my "budget build". Yes it's an Ackley Improved based off of the 260 Rem case. It's slower than a 6.5 PRC. So far my 145gr MB loads were going around 2870 fps. But last summer the loads got too hot so my current load is at around 2820 fps. That's my SWFA 10X on there, I'd like to upgrade it. But at least the dials are consistent.

What is the MB stand for? I did load work up on a browning 6.5 prc with n570 and Atips for a friend who shoots "at" the mile over in Montana and I think it ended up around 3000 if I remember. He has the book with the load data but it seemed like a very efficient cartridge. He had some once fired brass from some custom ammunition that had swelled the base really bad and advertised a pretty high velocity with 156 bergers. Wish I could remember the powder charge to compare to your 260AI. In my honest opinion, it would be very difficult to beat one of those cheap vanguard 6.5-300's with hand loads for just plain killing at distance. I guess they're not that cheap anymore but man, at 600 yard milk jugs I'd be aiming at the caps for fun