A little help….caliber selection

I always choose my calibre first, then the cartridge for the intended game.
I chose my 257AI first because brass was plentiful at the time, bullets were too.
Later, brass was difficult to get.
Bought a 25-06 next, never have I had brass issues. Then a 25-300WSM…
Then, a 257 Weatherby fell into my lap.
I think I have 25 cal covered.

My point here is, you CAN do it all with ONE calibre, but it's nicer to have different levels of power to choose from.

I have similar step ups in 6.5, 270, 7, 30, 33 & 37. None are really NEEDED but that's what I want.

Cheers.

I should add that I have a 300 WSM and 28 Sherman Mag….so, I'm looking for a low recoil option!

I'll probably buckle and get a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'd like something a little faster…..maybe the PRC or maybe a 6mm.

Mostly the purpose of this post was to not discuss calibers. I wanted to discuss the logic proposed in the op. Then I was looking for advice on how do I determine a bullet will exit?

Mostly the purpose of this post was to not discuss calibers. I wanted to discuss the logic proposed in the op. Then I was looking for advice on how do I determine a bullet will exit?

The biggest problem is that the animal always gets a vote and they very rarely do what we want them to. I have had complete pass-throughs on large animals with "match" bullets and had a few 120lb+/- whitetail doe catch "premium hunting bullets" (partitions/accubonds/etc) even a couple that were good broadside shots. It really depends. Obviously the ones that retain their weight and only expand to a certain point will have a much greater chance at exiting than the rest, but there is always a trade-off. For those it means that the permanent wound channel will be smaller, so a less than adequate shot will result in a rodeo or a lost animal.

All that being said, the mono-metal bullets designed to shed their petals (Hammer / Controlled Chaos / etc) are the "compromise" as the petals will shed and cause secondary wound channels while the base will continue on and most likely exit. Full disclaimer: I have not used either of these bullets before, but have been in a couple of camps where they were used to good effect. I have gone full circle myself. From standard cup and core (Federal SPs, Rem Core-loct) to Partitions/Accubonds, to mono-metal (Barnes and Cavity Back) and now to standard cup and core but of the "match" variety for better BCs and consistency in construction. I am not worried about meat loss as I now get the opportunity to hunt multiple animals in multiple states and I am fortunate enough to have a pretty large chunk of private land with a couple of good friends on which we need to take at least 12 does a year from, so I am not lacking in the meat department.

It's funny, I read this and the first cartridge that came to mind is the old tried and true 30-06.
I have a lot of rifles in calibers from .243 through 300 Weatherby magnum but really the old 06 will cover all the bases.