A little help….caliber selection

nksmfamjp

So, I'm trying to figure out cartridge, bullet, barrel lengths and twist rates in some logical fashion. Kind of makes you dizzy!

First I tend to focus on the animal. I figure to have the best chance there, I need best possible accuracy, expansion, and an exit.

Thinking about accuracy, I'm mostly focused on minimizing recoil which tends to push the cartridge to a minimum bullet weight and case capacity. That works. I'll admit, I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor better than a 300 WM.

Then expansion. There are definitely cases where expansion is not required. Heart shots in just the right spot, brain, spinal shots. That said, especially at long range, I want an expanded bullet to the vitals. So, I want a bullet running over 1800 fps at max range. My legit max range now is 400. I am working to be good at 600. This has come down quite a bit in the last couple years because I'm more conservative about what shots I will take. As you can imagine, bc, personal effective range, barrel length, case capacity all play a role.

Then, I believe based on hunting experience that I need an exit. I struggle to know by the numbers if a bullet will exit. My thoughts are…., a bullet enters with kinetic energy. This energy does work on the bullet and on the animal. If it lacks enough energy, that will allow the bullet to stop. So, what is a minimum or a target? I go back to a near 0 work example. A 44 mag cast solid, imo will kill a mule deer buck at 120 yards with minimal left over. It will exit. That is about 600 ftlbs. So, I set that as my energy minimum to exit deer. I use 1000 for elk, but I really don't know about that.

So, does this make logical sense? Am I missing something big? Yes, I'm definitely overthinking it!

Give a 280AI a look. I recently traded for one and it is probably the nicest rifle, shooting wise I have ever owned and I have two safe's full. I shoot 143 grain Hammer Hunters in it and it shoots better than 1/2 MOA at 3250FPS and has no recoil. The rifle does have a brake on it, but what rifle doesn't anymore. You can load them all the way to 190 grain bullets if you want. It is just seems to be a very accurate and pleasant shooting round. JMO but food for thought.

So, I'm trying to figure out cartridge, bullet, barrel lengths and twist rates in some logical fashion. Kind of makes you dizzy!

First I tend to focus on the animal. I figure to have the best chance there, I need best possible accuracy, expansion, and an exit.

Thinking about accuracy, I'm mostly focused on minimizing recoil which tends to push the cartridge to a minimum bullet weight and case capacity. That works. I'll admit, I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor better than a 300 WM.

Then expansion. There are definitely cases where expansion is not required. Heart shots in just the right spot, brain, spinal shots. That said, especially at long range, I want an expanded bullet to the vitals. So, I want a bullet running over 1800 fps at max range. My legit max range now is 400. I am working to be good at 600. This has come down quite a bit in the last couple years because I'm more conservative about what shots I will take. As you can imagine, bc, personal effective range, barrel length, case capacity all play a role.

Then, I believe based on hunting experience that I need an exit. I struggle to know by the numbers if a bullet will exit. My thoughts are…., a bullet enters with kinetic energy. This energy does work on the bullet and on the animal. If it lacks enough energy, that will allow the bullet to stop. So, what is a minimum or a target? I go back to a near 0 work example. A 44 mag cast solid, imo will kill a mule deer buck at 120 yards with minimal left over. It will exit. That is about 600 ftlbs. So, I set that as my energy minimum to exit deer. I use 1000 for elk, but I really don't know about that.

So, does this make logical sense? Am I missing something big? Yes, I'm definitely overthinking it!

I won't suggest that you're over complicating it…..but, I am a "simpleton" with "simpleton" methods/ideas!

I choose a cartridge based upon the largest, possibly most dangerous, game that I will ever hunt at the maximum ranges that I'm likely to ever shoot at game. I then factor in the greatest recoil that I'm comfortable with……not in a rifle/cartridge that will see 100's of rounds fired from a bench, but a hunting rifle. Also factored in, is going with the lightest rifle to cover those bases……as I often (or used to) cover a lot of miles on a hunt often in hilly terrain!

Using that concept…..I built my "only" hunting rifle in 1990. It has never failed to live up to my desires/expectations! memtb

My Kimber Montana 280AI with Hornady Precision Hunter 162ELDX has served me (and others who borrowed it) well across multiple mule deer and antelope from 75 to 400 yards.

If started from scratch - I would get a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22ish inch threaded barrel and a suppressor (or a 6mm Creedmoor/243/260) and invest in a lot of practice and some formal training.