800yd Coyote/ varmint rifle

When reviewing some of the comments to this post, I realized that I had left out some critical environmental information.

The altitude will be 4,000 to 6,000 feet above msl. Very low humidity [10 to 25] %. With the load I'm using, the numbers at 800yds are 1842fps and 791 ft-lbs of energy.
Pat

Good to see you're into coyotes, how many do you generally take a year? Can't wait for you to take, out your first dog @ 800.

I used to beat on the yotes pretty hard, my calling partner and I would take 35-50 a winter. Farthest I took one was a skosh over 600, he sat up and bitched and barked at me. I set my 600 yard dot on top of his head and he tipped right over.

My general goal was to take out 90% of the dogs that I shot at to 300 yds or less. For me they're a pretty small target and much past 300 they get darn tough to put on the turf.

When reviewing some of the comments to this post, I realized that I had left out some critical environmental information.

The altitude will be 4,000 to 6,000 feet above msl. Very low humidity [10 to 25] %. With the load I'm using, the numbers at 800yds are 1842fps and 791 ft-lbs of energy.
Pat

Hmm...I think I have my data set for 4500', and the 800 yd speed is 1586. Wonder where we're off? I was using 59 degree's

Flight time of over 1 second, you're going to have to get proficient at both reading wind AND reading the critters behavior for movement.
That's why I wanted a simi-auto and put a large MuzzleBrake on it. My hypothesis is that, with training, I can get off 3 shots in less than a second, with one moa corrections for wind or target movement.
Some may think that's crazy, but it's going to be fun to try.
Pat

That's why I wanted a simi-auto and put a large MuzzleBrake on it. My hypothesis is that, with training, I can get off 3 shots in less than a second, with one moa corrections for wind or target movement.
Pat
Just to be sure I'm tracking, your plan is a volley each time you shoot?

Last edited:
Just to be sure I'm tracking, you plan is a volley each time you shoot?
No. Am only talking about questionable shots at extremely long range or extreme environmental conditions. Using a rapid fire volley increases the probability of a hit.
Remember, we are talking about varmints, not game animals. I would never use this technique against a game animal.
Pat

800 yard yotes, I would go with 6/6.5 creed in a AR-10. 18 or 20 inch barrel
I've been wanting a 6 or 6.5mm AR of some flavor for coyotes and wolves.

Thought about an AR10 but the increase in the weight and bulk turned me off.

A long pack in with a 10 doesn't seem like a fun day.

Build it and see how it does. Maybe it will do everything you want it to. I don't have any first hand experience with one but it just doesn't look like it is significantly better than shooting heavy 5.56 loads but your ammo choices will be much more limited.View attachment 572197
Why not plug in a 264WM 85gr HP at 3827fps which is what I get with my Shilen 30" barrel. Could go faster just haven't tried as that is the old book load.

Pat
Fascinating. 800 yard 3 round bursts.

As I mentioned before…get better at calling and you can make chip shots on the yotes on the reg. Shooting them at extreme distances will usually yield a miss…which means you now have an educated dog that won’t come to calls.