7saum Build

youngtrout

Well, finally got the call. Chris at benchmark has my barrled action finished up. Built off a stiller action, number 6 barrel, fluted with the muzzle threaded for brake. Chambered in 7saum. I've built a few semi customs, but first fully custom build for me.

I've also taken a stab at building my own carbon fiber stocks, don't have the barreled action so pics of the stock will have to do for now, kind of a build in progress! Stock, bipod, and widden v block as it sits is at 2.5lbs. Figure I'll have another 1/2 at most after I finish out the action area.

This is the third stock I vacummed up. My first go was more traditonal, (I think) three layers of fiber, filled with foam. This one is 6 layers with 8 in grip action area, stiff enough in my book and no extra weight from foam. No expert by any means, truth be told to do it again. I would have bought a manners,,, and if this one doesn't work out, I'll look for something else, but so far so good. Built my own "form" would have loved a A2 mcmillian or something else to cast from but oh well, don't own one. Anyway, here is the project as it sits, still need to tackle action area, triggerguard, etc, but need the action to move forward, should have a updated pic or 2 in the coming week, trigger is a jewell, sightron 6-24, wyatt mag box rounding it out, stay tuned!

Attachments

• DSCN2623.jpg
    DSCN2623.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN2624.jpg
    DSCN2624.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 115
I guess best to start with YouTube. Vacuum bagging carbon searches etc. west systems the expoxy supplier has good information. Basic requirements for how I went about it would be the vacuum pump itself. Bagging materials. Fiber and epoxy. The hardest part is the molds. First one I did was simply a cast of a factory stock. My mold was not durable (fiberglass) so for me these are one of a kinds. Takes a long time. There are actually posts on this site somewhat detailing the process, do a search. I got some tips here, and good advise for my build so I figured I'd post some shots down the home stretch.

Re-Read my second post. When I say my mold was not durable, I meant to say it was NOT made of fiberglass. I actually used plaster of paris that I let dry for about a week, then painted 5-6 times. Problem came when I went to pull the mold, plaster was not durable and broke up, but at least I got my part! Here are a couple pics, first in the bag with the first stock I made, then second for the "inside" of that stock. The ridges you see is excess epoxy. My vacuum is only pulling about 15 inches,,, better would be 22-25 so didn't pull out all epoxy it should have.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 109
Okay, guys who do this for a living or professional photographers, please look away!!

There is a stiller barreled action in there somewhere, second "pour",,, first was the widden bedidng block, then a full devcon bed. I had my mix a bit liquid on the widden, going to be a bit of time with a die grinder to get my mag and trigger box back.

So far so good, never really warm and fuzzy about a bed job till I pull it, had a bad experience years back with a mauser action and a AAA piece of walnut that still keeps me up at nights

Hope to have better pics over the weekend

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 116
very cool. most guys buy their stocks or at the most machine them out of wood or aluminum.not too many out there that vacuum their own carbon fiber stock.kudos to you for going beyond the norm and doing it all yourself.keep is updated with pics of all the stages.thanks for sharing.

Well, just about, thats that. Down to some final fitting then a finish. Will give a plug to the widden v-block. Basically for ease of taking basically a no inlet stock, and make it a rem 700. I then actually did a full bed job, alum block made a great "grind stop" so final product is vey clean

Specs
predator action
Number 6 fluted benchmark, 26 inches, work done by the guys at benchmark, thanks again

As you see it, came in a little lighter than I figured, 8 pounds as you see it, so right around 10 -10.25 all set up

Post a pic when its finished up, as it is, its ready to shoot, minus scope, starting with the 160 accubonds

Attachments

• IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 121
good looking rifle, what is the weight of your stock? Hope to see some groups soon but whats all that white stuff? Or did you just do a photo shop to make the rifle stand out better, LOL

Weight of the stock is about 40 ounces. Ended up filling the forearm. With the bipod I had too much twisting. Stock is extremely rigid.

Total gun weight is 10 pounds even, that is including the bipod. Still need to work out cheek piece. I had molded in a cheek piece but didn't like idea of removing stock to clean. So know basically molding another one. Plan for it to be removable but may not be adjustable.

Barrel break in starts in morning

I have another project in mind. Have a varmint barreled 6br. Plan to build a aluminum type chassis system out of flat stock. I have access to a CNC cutter. That one should come together quick. Have it all drawn up

I'll post some better pics of this one soon

well, I was in need of some cheek adjustment, was going to go with a kydex type, decided to go more built in. For adjustment, I made a simple set screw type out of alum plate, hard to explain, but will have pics of final product. One of these days I'll actually get to post pretty pics or targets, and if anyone has some short action bottom metal, drop me a line, really need some to finish up, like to not have to buy new from midway

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
That looks like it will be a tack driver!! I may have missed it but, is it a single shot or repeater? Are you dead set on the 160 Accubond? I tried everything from 162 Amax to 180 Berger VLD and Hybrids. My rifle loves the 180 Hybrids with 62 gr H4831sc (it's over book max, but only slight pressure signs). Before the Hybrids came out my go to load was the 162 Amax and H1000. Good luck with your load development and keep us informed.

This one has been a bit of an uphill battle. I had some pressure issues, but that has been resolved. Then came feeding, tried a couple different blind mag setups with little sucess.

Now I'm going detachable mag,(repeater) this will work, but more work in terms of inletting for the box.

Load work is promising, lots more stuff to try, but getting sub-moa out of it. Sticking with the accubonds for this year, and 4831sc, mainly because I have them, still dry around here for powder

I'll work on some more pics. I had hydrodipped stock, but going to sort of un-do that work with the inletting needed for the mag box.

That said though, love the rifle, just trying to get in all worked out for my caribou hunt, and its summer in AK, so lots! of stuff pulling me in other directions

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts