7mm STW bullet for Elk

multiples. I think I should be getting more consistent groups so I'm experimenting. Base has been 80.9 gr rl-25, H4350 was OK, and I have barely enough rl22 to try. All have been roughly 1/2 minute to 600 yards at their best but the window seems tight for what little I know, a .4 grain powder spread or .004 seating depth is about as wide as I can go. Trying to find some rl23 to try and may give rl16 a shot.
The little guy on my shoulder keeps whispering "169 hammer hunter" and "195 bergers".

After my wife and i killed 2 bulls with a 7rm running the 143 hammers....my suggestion would be run the hammers and dont look back. My wife's was at 320 and mine was at 272. Both were pass through and both dead within 15 seconds. By running the hammers it opens up the shoulders along with chest shot. Our 7rm runs them at 3330 fps. The stw would be faster. We sighted in at 280 yds. Made a dead hold to 400 on the elk. Took all the worries out for my wife about dial up.....or hold over. Let her concentrate on the shot. I use rl26....love it. Chec out our story in elk hunting. Pics there of the exit holes on my bull.....yep......holes. 3 of them from 1 shot. Devastating. Pm me if you want any info on our experience

Where STW really shines is with heavies. I played around and settled in on 175 with big doses of R-26 I downloaded to 3000 fps just for ease on ballistic calculators. BC of .660 reaches out there! :) In the past 30 years I've seen a Bull at 100ish yards stop a 175 out of a 7mm rem mag on a broadside classic heart lung shot. I think that it was a Speer bullet. I've always had pass through shots with the stw.

Your bullets will be fine. I don't believe in 140's game hunting. Way too much destruction. The 160 and higher have the sectional D to punch through.

7mm .284 175 gr ELD-X™

Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .660

Ballistic Coefficient (G7) .330

Sectional Density .310

7mm .284 162 gr ELD-X™

Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .613

Ballistic Coefficient (G7) .308

Sectional Density .287

ELD-X™ Extremely Low Drag - eXpanding
I'm using the 175 Eld-x also with RL 26 and 3240 fps. Wicked round 😉

likely has been discussed a million times, I'll start a fresh discussion..

my first elk hunt is coming up, I'm a 7mm STW shooter using Berger 168 gr VLD for deer, the outfitter I'm using said most of his clients shoot @250 yrd. max 400yd

I'd like some advise from experienced elk hunters, should i work up a new load with different bullets or run with my whitetail load?
this load has a long OAL and don't fit in my magazine, a drawback when needing a follow up shot..

sorry I tend to sweat the small stuff..
I will start by saying I am not a fan of them for hunting animals I eat. If I was shooting a 7STW I would NOT shoot a Speer Grand Slam either. I killed three bulls with it in my STW and they suck also. 160 is a good weight and my choice would be a Partition, Accubond, Terminal Ascent, Interbond, etc. etc. and if you wanted a mono....Barnes of your choice.

It
What cartridge holder is that
Its made by bear tooth.

Have you thought about just seating the bullets you are currently shooting to mag length and shorter and seeing how they shoot? Then you have a round that would become a repeater, and don't have to work up a new load. You could just reseat the bullets you currently have loaded and you are done.

Have you thought about just seating the bullets you are currently shooting to mag length and shorter and seeing how they shoot? Then you have a round that would become a repeater, and don't have to work up a new load. You could just reseat the bullets you currently have loaded and you are done.
@lancetkenyon Yes, i have considered trying that, likely run out of case capacity using the H1000 powder..
I'll give the hammers a try, working up a new load will give me a good excuse to shoot my gun but i do appreciate your suggestions!

After my wife and i killed 2 bulls with a 7rm running the 143 hammers....my suggestion would be run the hammers and dont look back. My wife's was at 320 and mine was at 272. Both were pass through and both dead within 15 seconds. By running the hammers it opens up the shoulders along with chest shot. Our 7rm runs them at 3330 fps. The stw would be faster. We sighted in at 280 yds. Made a dead hold to 400 on the elk. Took all the worries out for my wife about dial up.....or hold over. Let her concentrate on the shot. I use rl26....love it. Chec out our story in elk hunting. Pics there of the exit holes on my bull.....yep......holes. 3 of them from 1 shot. Devastating. Pm me if you want any info on our experience
thanks for sharing your experience with the hammers, this is helpful info!