7mm STW bullet for Elk

likely has been discussed a million times, I'll start a fresh discussion..

my first elk hunt is coming up, I'm a 7mm STW shooter using Berger 168 gr VLD for deer, the outfitter I'm using said most of his clients shoot @250 yrd. max 400yd

I'd like some advise from experienced elk hunters, should i work up a new load with different bullets or run with my whitetail load?
this load has a long OAL and don't fit in my magazine, a drawback when needing a follow up shot..

sorry I tend to sweat the small stuff..
Seems to me you have the option of a Berger in the chamber and some over the counter 160 grn Noslers underneath.

I killed lots of elk with my 7 STW shooting 140 Grain Accubonds, now my buddy owns it and he shoots 160 grain Accubonds and just loves it on Elk. The 168 VLD is a great bullet but I agree that I would not want to go into the hunting woods on an elk hunt with a single shot.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, much appreciated!
I never knew about the hammer bullets until I joined this forum, spoke to Steve @ Hammer he recommended the 143 gr hammer hunter, Steve was very helpful, (super nice guy) have a box of them on order, looking forward working up a load using the hammers!
thanks again guys, I'm surprised how many 7mm STW shooters are on this forum..

You could strap on those cartridge holders to the side or the stock and have follow up rounds right there.
Also there's a dedicated 7mmSTW forum on here
20C8FDC0-3A7B-4C04-9492-9060F1C0C172.jpeg

my first elk hunt is coming up, I'm a 7mm STW shooter using Berger 168 gr VLD for deer, the outfitter I'm using said most of his clients shoot @250 yrd. max 400yd

I'd like some advise from experienced elk hunters, should i work up a new load with different bullets or run with my whitetail load?
this load has a long OAL and don't fit in my magazine, a drawback when needing a follow up shot..

sorry I tend to sweat the small stuff..
The 168 Bugger will work fine. My last four elk here in CO were taken with my 7 STW over 1k but I use Nosler Accubond Long Range so I can pump up the velocity I have a 29" barrel and push the 168 ABLR at 3,352 fps

Where STW really shines is with heavies. I played around and settled in on 175 with big doses of R-26 I downloaded to 3000 fps just for ease on ballistic calculators. BC of .660 reaches out there! :) In the past 30 years I've seen a Bull at 100ish yards stop a 175 out of a 7mm rem mag on a broadside classic heart lung shot. I think that it was a Speer bullet. I've always had pass through shots with the stw.

Your bullets will be fine. I don't believe in 140's game hunting. Way too much destruction. The 160 and higher have the sectional D to punch through.

7mm .284 175 gr ELD-X™

Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .660

Ballistic Coefficient (G7) .330

Sectional Density .310

7mm .284 162 gr ELD-X™

Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .613

Ballistic Coefficient (G7) .308

Sectional Density .287

ELD-X™ Extremely Low Drag - eXpanding

sorry I tend to sweat the small stuff.
If you have a Rem 700 style action I believe you can retro fit your magazine now with one of Wyatt's new longer aftermarket mags, and there may be others. We suffered with the same issue years ago when we built 3 STWs back in the early 90s. Two were built on 700 actions and one was on an old 721. During that time frame solving the mag length issue was very tough. So I completely understand your dilemma. Its a pain in the butt. Just glanced at the Wyatt site and the 300 PRC kit might totally fix your issue. There is likely some small machining needed to allow the bolt to go back more. Knowing what a pain in the *** this is I'd say its worth it.

Check out the video

Where STW really shines is with heavies. I played around and settled in on 175 with big doses of R-26 I downloaded to 3000 fps just for ease on ballistic calculators. BC of .660 reaches out there! :) In the past 30 years I've seen a Bull at 100ish yards stop a 175 out of a 7mm rem mag on a broadside classic heart lung shot. I think that it was a Speer bullet. I've always had pass through shots with the stw.

Your bullets will be fine. I don't believe in 140's game hunting. Way too much destruction. The 160 and higher have the sectional D to punch through.

7mm .284 175 gr ELD-X™

Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .660

Ballistic Coefficient (G7) .330

Sectional Density .310

7mm .284 162 gr ELD-X™

Ballistic Coefficient (G1) .613

Ballistic Coefficient (G7) .308

Sectional Density .287

ELD-X™ Extremely Low Drag - eXpanding
I like the heavy ELD-X out of my 300 PRC 212's 220's but have found the 210 ABLR to provide better expansion on elk out past 1K than the ELDX

The bullet you speak of has killed many game animals including elk with that said It would not be my first choice for the ranges you stated I would be looking at an Accubond 160 or one of the Hammer bullets or even a Barnes as you may not have an ideal shot and myself I would want a bullet that I would be confident would go stem to stern.
I agree with this, because of the higher impact velocity at the closer ranges. I've pushed bullets too fast for their intended impact velocity and have had them perform poorly on game. For fast shooting rifles where I KNOW I won't be shooting at any distance, I have switched to Barnes bullets. Just because I developed a load for the rifles with them before Hammer bullets hit the market. A 7mm 180g Berger works great on elk at an impact velocity at 2015 fps. Half dollar sized exit on a broadside shot behind the shoulder, just under the spine. Never took a step.

You probably could develop a load with those bullets that fit in the magazine.

Recent Posts