7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Gentlemen!!!!! Please remember, my STW is till being built and I am not sure I will get it and have it ready by my hunt. I know my mcwhorter is ready to go!!!
I know that the brothers love their STWs. And I hope the guy is good enought to give me a sweet rifle like y'all have. I am just so excited I wanted to share!! If I can get it sighted and a load built , it will be with me on those NM. Mountains.

Brothers must forgive transgressions in the height of excitement!!!!!! Right

Brother Mario, I can FEEL your excitement, and I would be too! talk about winning the lottery!!!!! And no transgressions taken either!!:) I'm sure you won't sleep a wink tonite, thinking about the upcoming hunt. I wouldn't be no good for at least a week, after getting news like that! Enjoy it all my friend!

GUYS, on a totally different subject, but worth sharing with all the " Brothers" , I just want to do a SHOUT OUT for the FBI, and the police actions on the apprehension of those two THUGS in Boston!!!! dude, those guys were on a MISSION, and were relentless in their search, and eventual seizure. Incredible show of force and intent from everyone that played a part in that, and thank GOD it is over.
Also, bless all the folks down in Texas who are effected by the fertilizer plant explosion.
WAYYY to many explosions this week!!!!

may God Bless America!!

Gongrats on your tag Marioq, have a great hunt!

I will also echo 7stw'S comments posted above. It was an impressive show of determination and force by authorities to find the Coward's( insert whatever you want instead of coward) who did the unthinkable in Boston!!

Wanting to add a 7 rem mag or 7 STW to my collection. I do reload and expect to use the berger 168 VLD. What kind of barrel life can I expect from these?

Looking for a Sendero but will probably have to settle for a standard Remington 700 and upgrade the barrel down the road as well as add a bell and Carlson stock. I'm from SC so game does not get that big.

Any suggestions.

Currently reloading for 270 Win with Berger Classic hunters in 130 VLD's getting 2960 with a 22 inch Boss barrel. Also Reloading pistol calibers.
Start with a quality stainless barrel. Break it in, then get it melonited.

Following that just use common sense and don't shoot it hot and it will last you many thousands of rounds.

There is some throat erosion with each shot you take but it accelerates exponentially if you shoot long strings without letting it cool down.

As a rule I never shoot more than 3 shots without letting it cool down at least five minutes and even my factory Rem barrel in my original STW shows no noticeable wear and it's over twenty years old.

I actually was planning to have it re-barreled with a longer and heavier contour barrel than it came with a couple of years back but my gunsmith scoped it and said "don't bother".

He saved me about a grand that day and the truth is, it's still a sub MOA rifle shooting the same Winchester Supreme 140gr that I bought in bulk right after I bought the rifle.

Here's the rifle.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/longest-bobcat-ever-76861/

Totally off subject but I'm so **** excited that I have to share this with the brothers!!!

I jut got notice I was drawn for NM elk in the Valle calderas special lottery!!!!
I don't know what hunt or what weapon but no matter what, it's a sweet deal I think!!!!
That is a great place to shoot with the 7mm STW. You can get some long shots there.

Well, some of you might laugh at this. I finally shot my two new rifles today. About a year and half ago I bought a M70 stainless Featherweight in 30-06 and then last year I bought a M70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW from Butterbean.

So, the STW has Nikon Monarch 4-16x with Side Focus on it, and I installed the tall target knobs too. Once I was on paper to where I was happy at 50 yards, I moved to 100 yards. I had to move it a bit to get it where I wanted at 100 yards, then I went for a group. Now, this is with factory ammo too, as I am still not setup for reloading.

So, the group was with two almost in one hole, moved the scope on the first shot in the string as I was not happy with where it was at. Then I shot the '06 for a few so the STW could cool. I shot 3 more, with two almost in one hole and one touching. I am very impressed, as the barrel was dirty. The factory load was Federal Premium, 160 gr Sierra Game King BT's, 3200 fps. This is an old load that I have had, with about 6 boxes to boot.

Maybe next week I will take the Ruger No.1 STW out and see how that is shooting

Well, some of you might laugh at this. I finally shot my two new rifles today. About a year and half ago I bought a M70 stainless Featherweight in 30-06 and then last year I bought a M70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW from Butterbean.

So, the STW has Nikon Monarch 4-16x with Side Focus on it, and I installed the tall target knobs too. Once I was on paper to where I was happy at 50 yards, I moved to 100 yards. I had to move it a bit to get it where I wanted at 100 yards, then I went for a group. Now, this is with factory ammo too, as I am still not setup for reloading.

So, the group was with two almost in one hole, moved the scope on the first shot in the string as I was not happy with where it was at. Then I shot the '06 for a few so the STW could cool. I shot 3 more, with two almost in one hole and one touching. I am very impressed, as the barrel was dirty. The factory load was Federal Premium, 160 gr Sierra Game King BT's, 3200 fps. This is an old load that I have had, with about 6 boxes to boot.

Maybe next week I will take the Ruger No.1 STW out and see how that is shooting
Dude I was wondering where you were at ....I didnt want to brag on that rig but its Bad Bro and i really miss it but Im glad that you have it so I know its in good hands

I was actually kicked out of the house by my wife, as she said I needed some time for myself.

I have been helping with the kids so much, that she wanted me to go have some fun.