7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks guys. It is one of the last special runs Rem did, twist rate is 1/9.25 I just hate to give up on the thing but I may have to. Wanted to get it ready to take to WY Oct. 1 but dont look like that will happen short of a miracle. I'm thinking the rebarrel as well. I've ruled out the chrono simply because we shot the same loads from different guns back to back and there were 300 fps dif in the 2. I will be one the horn with redhawk in the morning but not sure if they can do anything, back to the drawing board for me. Thank you for the replys.

It getting to be a little cooler here, and I will be doing some catch up shooting here pretty soon. Labor day is just around the corner, and deer season will shortly follow.
Can't wait. Take care, and good shooting.

Bob,

Ditto on your comments. It's been a little cooler here too and I can't wait to get to the rifle range next month to fine-tune some loads (140 gr Accubond, 160 gr Accubond & 162 gr AMAX) for my Sendero 7mm STWs to slam some deer during deer season. I have not been to the rifle range since May.

This extremely hot summer just plain "SUCKED" in regards to my plans on developing some very accurate loads for my rifles.

But Fall is coming and I can't wait! :D

Thanks guys. It is one of the last special runs Rem did, twist rate is 1/9.25 I just hate to give up on the thing but I may have to. Wanted to get it ready to take to WY Oct. 1 but dont look like that will happen short of a miracle. I'm thinking the rebarrel as well. I've ruled out the chrono simply because we shot the same loads from different guns back to back and there were 300 fps dif in the 2. I will be one the horn with redhawk in the morning but not sure if they can do anything, back to the drawing board for me. Thank you for the replys.
I would try slower powder before you give up on this barrel. Some stw's really do want slower than rl22, I 7828, and h1000. Try the 50 bmg stuff and try rl25 or retumbo.

Bob,

Ditto on your comments. It's been a little cooler here too and I can't wait to get to the rifle range next month to fine-tune some loads (140 gr Accubond, 160 gr Accubond & 162 gr AMAX) for my Sendero 7mm STWs to slam some deer during deer season. I have not been to the rifle range since May.

This extremely hot summer just plain "SUCKED" in regards to my plans on developing some very accurate loads for my rifles.

But Fall is coming and I can't wait! :D

Dude, I am chomping at the bit to let the " BIG 7 " roar. I really don't shoot them much when are temps are NOT what they are typically when it is hunting season. I do , once in a while if I catch a " cool " day, but let's face it, we haven't had many of those since May. I keep my trigger finger in shape, and eyes sharp with the smaller stuff. I know what they shoot, and I know WHEN they shoot it the best.
I have been having real good accuracy with the TSX, and 154 Hornady Spire point. Just bought a box of 140 TTSX bullets. Just wanted to try them. They say that the tip helps upset the nose quicker. We' ll see. Then there is the old standby, 140 CT. I start really getting serious after labor day. I can almost smell that cold crisp air, that opening day usually brings. Take care :D

Monzola, I have thinking about your ploy a little bit. What is you round count at this point ? And , have you fired and crono'd factory ammo? And lastly, did yo get it new?
My gut tells me you have a tight barrel. That being said, you do have a few options. If the gun is new, call Remington, and tell them what is going on. Keeping in mind, that they don't want to hear about hand loaded ammo. It will involve a trip back to Ilion NY, ( Remington Factory), but at least it will HOPEFULLY take care of the problem.
Otherwise, I would have it lapped by someone who knows how to lap a bore PROPERLY. There are lots of butchers out there, who will take you money, and give you back a barrel that is no better then it was when you gave it to them.
It's a real shame that you are having issues like this. When they had that limited run, lots of people bought them up. And lots of people had the same problems you seem to be having. One of the guys here did the same. Finally, I think he did get it to shoot. But he had quite a break in process. Good luck, and I hope things work out for you.
I would really consider the factory option.

Monz, I'll Have to agree with my partners in crime 7stw and Dano The new stuff Big Green is putting out is just awful,They have went from Gunsmithing to Blacksmithing, I'll have to say its the Tube .......Whats your round count? Get some great but inexpensive Sierra bullets and put some rounds thru it to slick the tube up a bit .........I really hope it will come around for you

Just one more idea. I was helping my gunsmith one day when a guy brought in a .257 wby that was showing very high pressure signs with factory ammo. We put a bore scope down the tube and it was completely covered with copper. After a very thorough cleaning we fired the rifle and the pressure problems went away. I dont know if this will help but it is worth a look.

Sorry for taking so long to get back, thanks guys for the replys. Yes it is a new piece, and As of today round count is only 10. Prior to shooting a few more this eve we broke it down and checked the bolt, firing pin, headspace, etc. all checked out inside specs. Next gave it a extremely through scrubbing, then ran a couple down it to check again. We expected the first to be slow, 3030 (75gr rl22 140corelock) with pressure issues again, second shot we hoped for better but only got 3050 (same load) pressure issues as well. I agree with all yall its the barrel, today we ruled out everything else so tomorrow I'm gonna waste some more money on a box of factory rem shells to just prove the point and have something other than handloads to build my case with Rem on. I'm sure it will show pressure and have the same low mv's. I'm quite positive I've bought my last production barrel. I still may try the rl25, retumbo or 50bmg, but I just really think that with the slow mv's the tube is few thous off. My guess is their tooling is just worn out and they didn't want to invest any cash for such a limited run (POOR QC)...my 2 cents...I'll let ya know how the factory ammo tests hopefully tomorrow night. Thanks

You can also try and clean the barrel with some JB Compound. This is a fine polish that you can get at some gun shops in the cleaner isle. I have used it many of times, and it does a good job of getting the barrel clean.

Let me ask, have you removed the bolt and held the gun up to a light while looking up the barrel? Just wondering, as I have observed some interesting rifling this way.

I'd have a call in to Remington.........then maybe Tubb Final Finish if Big Green doesn't do right by you.

I've had a couple 7STW's. The last was built on a brand new 7mm mag Winchester model 70 Classic. I bedded it on a Richards Microfit stock I finished myself and it loved the 140gr Nosler CT bullets at 3400fps.

finsh003.jpg

When the barrel was shot out around 1700 rounds, I went full custom to my liking.

Same action with an Obermeyer 5R barrel in Remington Varmint contour (1:8.75). Macmillan A5 stock (70% black 30% med gray) with KMW Loggerhead hardware. Bedded and floated by yours truly. Jewell trigger. Speedlock firing pin. Aadmount rings (good grief these are awesome) on a Nightforce 20moa rail. Sightron SIII 8x32 with MOA reticle.

7STW.jpg

SIII.jpg

Only about 20 rounds down the tube so far. Been cleaning after every shot (all debates aside, I'm a fan of "break-in" for 50 rounds) and every round prints in the same place at .75 moa (168gr Berger VLD, 162gr A max, 162gr SST). Once I start shooting on a fouled bore and work some powder charges, I expect things to tighten up. If not, I'll be ordering a Wyatt magazine box since I'm limited to 3.630 COAL.

Glad to be part of the brotherhood.

Nice rigs. That microfit stock looks pretty good. Did you sell it?

Actually I still have it. The Tru Oil yellowed a bit so I wiped it off and it needs a refinish. I think crazy glue or a nice poly would be a better choice.